Open Forum

View Only

Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

• 1.  Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-25-2018 09:12
    Greetings! 

This fall I am producing Almost, Maine and I <g class="gr_ gr_343 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="343" data-gr-id="343">am</g> looking for suggestions for displaying the Northern Lights.
    The previous Theatre director left me a scrim, however, I do not have a rigging system to attach it to. My question is, how challenging is it to attach a scrim, how damaging would it be to the ceiling/ wall, and what are some other options you can think of project a video of the Northern Lights onto it. 

I realize I could use the actual lights with gels, but I don't think it would have the same effect I am looking for. 

Thank you to anyone taking the time to respond.

------------------------------
    Marcelle Anderson
    Theatre Director
    Currey Ingram Academy
    Brentwood TN

• 2.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-25-2018 10:50
    Since we did it in a small space we used a rain chime effect and had the actors react to the lights. They only are mentioned in the first scene.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 3.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-25-2018 11:45
    I replied to the original poster, but I thought I would put it here too for the benefit of anyone else looking for answers.  I saw a great trick at a festival once where they simply had someone on the front row with a flashlight shining through a mason jar.  In the jar were lots of clear colored stones that can be found at any craft store.  They rotated the jar around to give different 'lights'.  It was very <g class="gr_ gr_827 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="827" data-gr-id="827">cheap,</g> and very effective.  Just make sure the jar is very full to avoid any rattling noise.  Good luck!

Mark Stich
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Haralson County High School
    Tallapoosa, Ga

• 4.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-25-2018 12:48
    ​Love it Mark! I will try this for sure.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 5.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-25-2018 17:30
    We did something by accident that totally worked!

We had a white cyc hanging in the back, with LED footlights pointing up at it - greens and purples for the Northern Lights scenes. We tried to make them blink magically, but they only looked ... mechanical and stupid. But by chance, someone walked behind the cyc and it moved in the breeze. Suddenly - magic! We tried out a few ways of replicating it, and ended up having two actors in the back on either side of the scrim gently rippling the scrim while the lights were glowing on it. The way the cyc flowed made it look as if the lights were flowing through the sky. It was beautiful!!!

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 6.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-26-2018 07:20
    We did something unique with John Cariani's approval, of course.  We had a very talented female ballet dancer who just didn't "fit" any of the other roles.  We had her dress in a multi-colored soft tutu and dance between each of the scenes with the musical accompaniment.  It turned out well. At the end, she posed over the two characters as they came together on the bench with their snowball and we had it snow. Nice effect.

Mrs. Dorothea Hackett, M.Ed.
    National Board Certified Teacher
    English/French/Theater Arts
    9-12 English Department Chair
    International Thespian Society 6949 Sponsor
    DuBois Area Senior High School
    425 Orient Avenue
    DuBois, PA  15801
    814-371-8111 x3137
    or

• 7.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-27-2018 12:23
    Dorothea has such a great idea-especially for schools performing in a cafe-gym-a-torium, or those with limited technical resources. 

Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, President
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 8.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-26-2018 09:28
    We used the Christmas lights from Lowes; they cost about $16.00 each and we purchased two;  One green and the other changed from red to blue, the effect was awesome and the cost was very minimal.   We also used the same lights for our under water scene in The Diviners and the audiences were impressed with those effects.

Jeffrey Hudkins
    Falling Waters WV

• 9.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-27-2018 14:30
    I love the clear marbles flashlight idea! In our production, we used flat tubs with water (positioned on the ground in front of our cyc and hidden behind our set) and mirrors which were positioned to reflect lighting instruments (w/ different color gels) onto our cyc. Then for each transition we had students on the ground gently moving the water tubs and rippling the water to create the effect.  There are many ideas in this thread that are far simpler :) But it was a great effect.

Colleen Mylott
    Lafayette CO

• 10.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 09-27-2018 19:56
    We painted ours instead of using lights. It was a beautiful backdrop. If you have a talented artist among your cast, consider it. 

--

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 11.  RE: Almost, Maine- Northern Lights Display

Posted 10-17-2018 10:48
    We rented two of these fixtures, programmed the color and movement we wanted, and projected them onto a black curtain on the back of the stage. 
    Spark 7™ 7 x 12W LED Moving Head Spotlight
    OmniSistem remove preview
    Spark 7™ 7 x 12W LED Moving Head Spotlight
    Features: (7) 12W 4-in-1 RGBW LEDs Excellent color mixing Smooth dimmer Tight, punchy beam Compact, silent design Blue LCD display DMX-512 control Rated Voltage: 100~240V Rated frequency: 50/60Hz Power: 120W Light source: 7 x 12W 4-in-1 RGBW LEDs Lifespan: ~50,000 hours Beam angle: 8° Pan: 540° (self-correcting) Tilt: 240° (self-correcting) DMX Channels Modes: 6, 8, 10, and 13 Control Modes: DMX-512, Master/Slave, Sound Activated Protection Grade: IP20 Working Environment: Indoor Environment Temperature: -22 to 104°F (-30 to 40°C) Size: 9.4″ x 5.1″ x 12.1″ (241 x 130 x 308mm) Weight: 8.6 lbs.
    View this on OmniSistem >

It cost us around around $400 but was well worth it.  Although the aurora is central to Glory and East's scene, firing them up between scenes and during Pete and Ginette's reunion really added to the magic of the show.

The mason jar idea sounds really interesting and I will try that.  I'm hoping to produce this show every five years or so with my high school group.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY