Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Short Play Faves?

Posted 08-23-2018 11:00
    My Drama Club does a Scene Night of student directed 10-20 minute one acts each fall, and we do ten minute duets each year in my Theater class (which has first, second, third, and fourth year students all in one room). 

Most of the ten minute plays on my shelf have been around the block a few times, and I'm looking to refresh my library.

Anybody got any suggestions of favorite short plays I might add to my shelves? I know this can be a VERY broad question, but I'm ready to be overwhelmed. Make it rain, colleagues.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Short Play Faves?

Posted 08-23-2018 11:52
    Here you go:

Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind: 30 plays in 60 minutes
    The Role of Della by John Wooten
    Drugs are Bad by Jonathon Rand

Are you willing to go longer than 20 minutes? If so:

Booby Trap by Ed Monk
    11 Variations on Friar John's Failure by Yuri Baranovsky
    The Magic Hour by Jonathon Dorf
    Chairs by Scott Mullen

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Short Play Faves?

Posted 08-24-2018 09:56
    These may be what's already on your shelf, but the annual collections from Louisville and from the Guthrie are both great resources. I've also used the Lawrence Harbison edited collections.  

I'm also a huge fan of student-written 10 minute pieces.  Over the last few years, I've built a tradition where we end the 8th grade year with a playwriting unit and the next year's class starts the year by producing some of those scripts.  So far that show has always been a mix of professional- and student-written pieces, but my colleague who is teaching that class thinks that this year may be all student scripts.  I think there are benefits to having one class produce another class's writing. (The 7th grade does production support - lights, costume, set, props, sound, and stage management.)

Rob Kimbro
    Director of Fine Arts
    Duchesne Academy
    HoustonTX

• 4.  RE: Short Play Faves?

Posted 08-27-2018 11:50
    I have two shelves of short play anthologies, primarily 10-minute plays.  I've bought multiple copies of each, which allows students to read through them out loud together.  

Samuel French has 5 volumes of plays from the Boston Theatre Marathon, and 5 volumes of 10-minutes plays from Actors Theatre of Louisville.

Smith and Kraus published 30 10-Minute Plays for Two Actors, as well as 30 10-Minute plays for Three Actors a number of years ago.  Those books are available from multiple sources online, including Brooklyn Publishers and Amazon.

Heuer has individual packages for production of 10-minute plays.  Each package contains scripts for the actors and director, and the cost includes royalties for unlimited performances for a year.  The price is extremely economical.  You can read all the way through each of Heuer's plays online, which I appreciate.  Their website is www.hitplays.com.  My students have found some good stuff there.

We do a collection of 10-minute plays each spring, but my students have written all of them the past couple of years.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC