Open Forum

View Only

theatre manager and administration respect

• 1.  theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-10-2018 18:58
    My school superintendent does not seem to recognize the high level of responsibility that the role of the Performing Arts Center manager/tech director entails. For example, after our recent pilot production of Newsies closed, the superintendent said to our Tech Director, offhandedly but sincerely, ,"Just wanted to tell you good job! I hear you had a hand in it." 
    Do you have any suggestions for helping our school superintendent and other administrators understand the PAC Manager position in the heightened light it deserves? 

------------------------------
    Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH

• 2.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 07:43
    Building a culture of exterior or outside respect is sort of a tough challenge in my opinion.  Some people are just not real good at giving compliments.  And, it's sort of funny that a lot of times, in my experience, those folks are leaders and managers.  I think you can only control you, so reach out to your Theater Manager and make an effort to compliment good work and discuss areas for improvement, challenges, etc.  Make sure your students are thankful by saying thank you and respecting the space and the work.  Celebrate work that you see as outstanding.  And, perhaps, directly fire off a complimentary e-mail or letter and CC your leadership in the response; perhaps as well, sit down with the Superintendent and state how thankful you are for the manager's work.  

Hope that is helpful.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 10:32
    I agree. A lot of this work falls on the director and department chairs. When your show is complimented, even when tech elements aren't highlighted, be sure to compliment your team. It is a small gesture, but can be meaningful.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 4.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 11:45
    Gosh! I am so passionate about this subject after having been at two different schools that cut/cut back their theatrical programming, and I had great conversations about this topic at the GA Educator's Conference. So how to condense these huge thoughts down...A few things that really helped me reframe my perspective to begin to think of possible solutions:

1. We have gotten so good at creating the magic of theatre, that people assume its magic. Most of our parents, guardians, fellow teachers, and administrators have no theatrical training or background. They don't have any way of understanding the work or even talking about the work we are doing. We've grown tremendous support in our community by taking our theatre education beyond the classroom, and into our community. We've realized that in telling our community about the importance of our program or all the work going into a show is still quite abstract. We have to SHOW our community for it to hit home. 

2. Showing (not telling) your community the value of your program.
    • Dramaturgy: for information about our how we use dramaturgy to bring theatrical training to our community, check out this blog, "Helping Administrators Help You." 
    • Director's Note: we need to model how to think about theatre, and this is your chance! Check out how you can use that as a told to model and educate here: "Teaching the Value of Theatre: Crafting the Director's Note"
    • Student Note: each show we invite a student to write a "behind-the-scenes" segment. Check out our Assistant Director's behind-the-scenes note from "Beauty and the Beast" (PAGE 1 and PAGE 2)
    • Documentary: we started a behind-the-scenes video series that gets our program great publicity for audiences and student recruitment. They don't have to be <g class="gr_ gr_92 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="92" data-gr-id="92">super</g> high end to get great traffic, but we love this program because it provides a way for us to spotlight many of our technicians (and parents to actually see them doing something). Here are a few sample videos
      • We gave elementary students we knew a camera, and said: "go!" This was our most watched video because it was just contagiously joyous: "The Three Musketeers"
      • Super simple introductions of your cast and crew can work, too. Video of dry tech simply introducing our technicians: "The Three Musketeers"
      • Behind-the-Scenes with the Actors: "Mary Poppins"
      • Or if you have a super student really into filming, you can make beautiful remembrances of experiences: "PC Festival Experience"
    • Behind-the-Scenes Visit: Invite your admin to a dress rehearsal or behind the scenes tour or student leadership/troupe meeting. Let them see you in action to begin to understand that work! Make them feel special and that you really want them there.
    • Thank Them: Find ways to continuously thank them (even if they don't do anything! Because honestly the fact that you and your program exist is something to be thankful for!). At the end of each show, send students to thank them for their support, or invite them to a show to publicly thank them at curtain call. Every time you thank them, you have to say why you are thanking them, and it's a way to update them on what you are doing/have done. As they begin to get a better sense of what your program is doing, they'll begin to know what questions to ask or how to support you better. Other reasons to thank them is an end-of-year wrap-up or Theatre in Our Schools Month.
    • Rehearsal Swap: Invite parents, teachers, other students to come to rehearsal for a day to see what the experience is like. 
    Wow, I could go on about this because I feel you so much! Let me know if you want to know more about the reasons behind or how we do any of these things.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 5.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 10:39

At least they came and saw it. Getting Admin behind anything is like pulling teeth.  Most people have no idea the time, work and effort that goes into making a show.  You just have to keep doing outstanding work and being there and then they start realizing that you are the one connected to the work.  Start lower on your food chain,  get your vice principals, then the principal then the fine arts director, etc on your side.  That reflected light shines upward.  Be bold, introduce yourself to the superintendent, let them know who you are.  There are too many people and players that they have to be aware of,  don't stress it.  Like I said, at least they came. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 6.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 12:59
    Perhaps send a program to the administrators' offices prior to the production with names highlighted and a post-it with "I know much you will want to catch the aspects of the production led by ____ /these folks" ?

Debbie Corbin

• 7.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 13:36
    Does your central office staff hold meetings in your theatre?  It's the perfect time to highlight the value of your auditorium manager.  Let the superintendent have to speak with the auditorium manager to get what he needs - be it a mic, a mic level, a Power Point.  Make your auditorium manager appear as indispensable as he is! Do this with the Principal as well.  The payoff in our district happened when they wanted to cut the position and our Principal said, "All I know is that when I step up to that mic, it's always on for me, 100% of the time, and that's because of our auditorium manager!"  That little thing had great value for our Principal and while he knows that our auditorium manager does far more than just this, he made his point.  Our central office staff knows that they can always depend on him to do the best job for them.  From there you can move on to what he does for the shows.  Mention him by name to the powers that be and do it often.

Baby steps, but it works.

Pat

Patricia J. Santanello
    Educational Theatre Association - Ohio Chapter
    Co-Chapter Director
    Dublin Scioto High School
    psdirector2003@hotmail.com
    Dublin, Ohio

• 8.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 14:01
    With comments, like, "Just wanted to tell you good job! I hear you had a hand in it," it sounds like there's a lack of understanding about what someone did, and the words to articulate it.  I would start with educating them about what you did, while still receiving the compliment.  I might respond with something like, "Thank you, I enjoyed designing the set, and working with the stagecraft classes to construct it.  My favorite was working with the students to figure out how we were going to get *super cool special effect* to work."

That way, they can learn more about what the manager and TD does in more specifics.  I meet with my assistant principal once a week, for about an hour.  It has greatly connected me to administration, and helps them understand what I do all day.  It helps bridge the gap between them not knowing what is good or not, and the vocabulary to describe technical elements.  When I'm excited about a lighting effect for a show, or a student I'm training as a designer, I let them know, so they can pay specific attention to it when they see it.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 9.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-11-2018 14:03
    I know this might seem kind of silly, but I used to send small rhyming poems to my administrator whenever I needed him to know something/understand something. Administrators get notes and emails all the time. How often do they receive a poem? I always got noticed.
    I always started with "This little note is just to say."
    Here is an example:

This little note is just to say

Please walk down the hall our way.

The Drama room is clean today!

Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

The students and I put clothes in bins

And gave the flats their home again.

We stacked the stairs and platforms then

We swept and cleaned so we can begin

The next show with an empty slate.

We promise you a show that's great

And value that you know it takes

Hard work in all that we create.

[Frank] [Pruet]
    [Former EdTA Board President]
    Atlanta GA

• 10.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-12-2018 19:22

An all too common problem. Mostly because, as some people stated, admin just don't 'get' what goes on behind the scenes. Muggles go to restaurants and cook in their own kitchen, and go to sporting events and have probably played sports at sometime in their lives, so they 'get' how that all works, and they are more willing to pay attention to issues they 'get'. But, when a "Muggle" goes to a performance, all they see is the finished 'magic'. (BTW, "muggle is an old English term, meaning someone who is ignorant – in the 'not knowing' way, not the 'unintelligent' way.) And it doesn't help our cause that if everything goes as planned technically, then the Muggles should only see the magic!

They don't 'get' that the amount of funding going to the arts versus sports for children in schools is in inverse proportion to the amount of money spent on arts entertainment versus sports by grown ups in the real world. American's value their entertainment more than they value their sports. $47 billion a year is spent on entertainment versus $24.5 billion spent on professional sports.

They also don't 'get' that tech theatre is not a 'performing' art, and is in fact a CTE and STEM subject.  Many techies don't care to 'perform'.

The also don't 'get' that theatre (performance and tech) is a "whole learning" subject, and gives students skills they will use in their adult life, regardless of their profession. They don't get that probably as many students in a math class go on to be mathematicians as many students in theatre class go on to be performers or technicians.

It's rare the admin who will – lets face it, financially – support high school theatre management. It's rare the admin who reads forums with conversations between theatre teachers.

Unfortunately, though, not only do admin not 'get' theatre, they don't want to, or don't feel it's necessary to spend the time on it. You're ahead of the game if you have that rare admin who will accept an invitation to a tech rehearsal, or a set building class, or attend meetings. The more common scenario, is, as Kelly succinctly states, "Getting Admin behind anything is like pulling teeth". 

So, that's the depressing 'state of the art'. So, what are we to do?

I truly believe that everything everyone has mentioned that they are doing is 'raising the bar'. Together we have to make it the 'norm' to have a High School Theatre Manager – and technicians! If your school theatre hosts a variety of school events, even if it's not hired out to outside events, then you are running a 'roadhouse' and you need a Theatre Manager.

We also have to make it the norm to have a CTE certified teacher teaching tech theatre classes. And if it's the norm for high school sports to hire several coaches per sport, then it should also be the norm to hire several 'coaches' per specialty in the theatre. I have worked at schools that are coming close to this 'norm', so it can happen, and for more examples, check out the school theatres on the Gold Standards page of my website. http://www.presett.org/gold-standard-schools.html

What admin need to understand is that a theatre is not a classroom that people can just go into and use on their own. It's a hazardous place, and it takes technical know-how to operate. Can you imagine the uproar if an English teacher decided to take their class into the science lab one day because they were doing a unit on radium, and they thought it would be good for their students to experience? Or if the PE teacher decided to take their class into the woodshop, in order to make their own baseball bats?  These spaces are respected as hazardous and technical, because people in general are familiar with science labs and woodshops - at some point they've probably been in one. The theatre needs to be afforded the same level of respect. 

I think with familiarity and normalcy, respect and understanding will come. So it's going to be up to us to create that piece by piece.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Spring Session closed. Summer session starts June 4th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS; FOR ADMINISTRATORS, ARCHITECTS AND ACADEMICS" and several more books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 11.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-13-2018 12:09
    "They just don't understand" is a common gripe not only in high school theater, but in many other fields: business, medicine, construction, and on and on. But yet we see how one field - politics - deals with it every time an election comes along: the candidates are out there tooting their own horns all over the place. That's how they get people to understand what they want to do and hopefully to vote for them.

As Elizabeth and a couple of others mentioned, the moral of the story is "Toot your own horn."

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 12.  RE: theatre manager and administration respect

Posted 04-15-2018 19:10
    It sometimes is our responsibility to educate our administration in addition to our students.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org