Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-21-2019 19:13
    I have 7 fabulous high school girls I'd like to highlight in a comedic play.  Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-22-2019 08:30
    I had the same number of girls last year.  "If Sherlock Holmes Were a Woman" is a one-act, and has great roles for everyone.  It was a big hit.

Kathy d'Alelio
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Fairfax, VA

• 3.  RE: Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-22-2019 10:05
    Hallelujah Girls was a huge hit at my school. There are 2 guys in it, bit the show is mainly around 7 girls.  
    --
    Michaela Moore (English & Theatre)
    Juneau-Douglas High School: Yadaa.at Kalé

907-523-1512

• 4.  RE: Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-22-2019 11:16
    Steel Magnolias is a fabulous play, though it only has 6 roles (all female). One of the students could work as your student director; she'd get a different kind of experience while still being highlighted.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten

• 5.  RE: Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-22-2019 11:44
    I was going to suggest this as well. That seventh girl could also act as "understudy" to all the roles and stand in for anyone absent from rehearsal.
    A friend who taught in an all girls school once did "Magnolias" with two casts. All 12 girls rehearsed together everyday with different combinations of cast members at different times. It wasn't until a week or so before opening that she decided what her final casts would be. They each played two evenings. It was a tremendous experience in ensemble performing, and adjusting your performance for other interpretations. The girls learned that there were never any wrong choices, just different ones.

Roger Paolini
    Buffalo NY

• 6.  RE: Suggestions for all women comedic play

Posted 08-23-2019 11:16
    You may also want to look at Lare Booth Luce's The Women - it is a wonderful and funny play, with a large cast of all women.

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC