Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Go to Substitute Lesson Plans?

Posted 01-20-2017 17:56
    I am interested in hearing suggestions for lesson plans that you leave for your Acting classes AND your Tech Theatre classes.  One and two day plans ideally!

------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 2.  RE: Go to Substitute Lesson Plans?

Posted 01-21-2017 11:27
    I'd love to hear some of your best ones too!   I'm always looking for new ideas.

Glen Carpenter
    Tooele UT

• 3.  RE: Go to Substitute Lesson Plans?

Posted 01-23-2017 09:14
    Improv games and one-day scene exercises are a regular part of our class, whether it's a day we take between projects, a way to use the last portion of a school day, or a break from a long term assignment to blow off some steam and build some basic stage skills. This makes for an easy sub plan, because the students are familiar with over a dozen games, and they can basically lead the class themselves while the sub enjoys the show and monitors for inappropriate content (which has yet to happen).

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Go to Substitute Lesson Plans?

Posted 01-23-2017 09:38
    My students are usually in the middle of several upcoming class performance requirements (intermediate/advanced acting) or projects (stagecraft). so I usually provide time for them to work when I am out. The beginning kids use the time to work improv (which they love) or are involved in scene work and given time to rehearse. I also frequently have the students critique each other and turn them in to the sub at the end of class. It's a really easy way to see who was working. I am also known to throw a pop performance quiz when I return... especially if the notes I get from the sub don't reflect a good use of time. It happens about once every 2-3 years. After that the word gets around and I don't have to worry for another few years. 

I like using these options because the students know what and how to do the work and can be very productive with the time.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Go to Substitute Lesson Plans?

Posted 01-24-2017 10:08
    The Drama Teacher Academy through Theatrefolk has been my lifesaver! They have tons of lesson plans, including several "emergency lesson plans." The ELPs are specifically designed for a sub with no theatre experience to use. You have to be a paid member to access, but it's so worth it! They have a write up you can give your district to request that the district pay the fee for you. 
    They also have masterclass videos with follow up notes and assessment, and they have courses that teachers can take too!! Very useful for me. 

They do have several tech theatre lesson plans, but these are limited. Tech is always the class I'm stumped on for subs.... would welcome additional suggestions just for Tech! 

Tanisha Smith
    Teacher
    San Antonio TX