Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Popular Actors Endorsing School Theater?

Posted 08-07-2015 10:14

Hi everyone,

I am a middle school drama club director and we are going into our fifth year. We are looking to recruit more kids for our program to do some larger scale shows. 

I'm looking for videos or articles or quotes from current popular actors (that middle schoolers would know/like) that express their experience in and support of school theater. I'm hoping that we can get more kids to join if they see the connection between drama in middle school and acting pursuits in the future (especially boys!). Any ideas or information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Alison Kelly
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Popular Actors Endorsing School Theater?

Posted 08-08-2015 09:51

“[Arts] are the mark of a truly civilized society. Growing up doing kids’ theater in my hometown, I learned a lot of things that paid off,” Fey said. “The arts teach you life skills. You learn to work as a team, you learn organization, you learn to practice and work at something with others to get it right. You read literature. You speak in public. Those skills go beyond theater.”

This is Tina Fey, from this news article U.Va. alum Tina Fey to kick off new arts lecture series

Richmond Times-Dispatch remove preview
    U.Va. alum Tina Fey to kick off new arts lecture series
    CHARLOTTESVILLE -When award-winning actress, screenwriter and author Tina Fey steps up as the first speaker in a series of pro-arts education talks sponsored by the University of Virginia, it's unlikely she'll say anything new. "I'm not ready to be instructional. I hope it will be entertaining, but I'm only part of the discussion," Fey said in a recent telephone interview.
    View this on Richmond Times-Dispatch >

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Popular Actors Endorsing School Theater?

Posted 08-08-2015 10:17

A great quote and a great idea!  It would be awesome if we had a list of quotes like this!  I'd love to display them in my hallway!  How inspiring would it be for our kids to see the thoughts. 

I also love the quote from the Tony's opening song a few years ago,

"...here's a kid in the middle of nowhere who's sitting and living for Tony performances

singing and flipping along with the Pippins and Wiggits and Kinkys, Matildas and Mormons-es.

So we might reassure that kid

and do something to spur that kid,

cause I promise you all of us up here tonight,

we were that kid..."

Thanks for starting this conversation!

CCG

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 4.  RE: Popular Actors Endorsing School Theater?

Posted 08-09-2015 09:49

That reminds me of Audra McDonald's Tony acceptance speech in 2012. It might need a bit of editing to show to kids, depending on the ages, but it's amazing. 

Acceptance Speech: Audra McDonald (2012)

YouTube remove preview
    Acceptance Speech: Audra McDonald (2012)
    Audra McDonald of The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess accepting a Tony Award during the 2012 Tony ceremony.
    View this on YouTube >

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Popular Actors Endorsing School Theater?

Posted 08-08-2015 12:57

I post this in our Thespian Instagram feed just before Musical auditions. I also add "--Hugh Jackman (aka. Wolverine!) underneath because some kids STILL don't recognize him without the crazy hair. 

I also show Newsies to my classes pretty early in the year. I start by asking if anyone in the class knows who Christian Bale is. I let the boys go on about all the Batman movies, then segway into how he's also a pretty good singer and dancer. Then we also talk about other movie/broadway stars (Daniel Radcliffe, Ariana Grande, etc) and then we watch. The boys love it. 

Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA