Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-09-2016 12:24
    I'm looking for ideas on how to produce a dragon for Shrek. Does anyone know where I can rent one? Or what have you done to make the dragon in your productions?

Thanks!
    Jeanne-Marie

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-09-2016 14:54

Check out Swazzle.com

I rented their Audrey II puppets for our production of Little Shop of Horrors in April, and was very happy with them. The puppets were so easy to put together and use, and they looked fantastic. I know they have a Shrek dragon, so I'm sure it would be just as good. The guys who run Swazzle are very nice and willing to negotiate on price for schools. We negotiated $2000 (tax included) for a two week rental of the 4 differently sized Audrey II puppets, though we did pick it up since we were local. I'm not sure what shipping would cost. But whatever the case, the puppets are worth it. We got such a huge positive reaction from our audience. 

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher

• 3.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-10-2016 09:17

I do believe that we still have our dragon from Shrek.. A beautiful, large, purple, batting eye, beauty. 

When do you need the dragon?

I will talk to the gentleman who has the dragon, and put him in contact with you. 

James Fewer
    Director, Sponsor
    Beaverton OR

• 4.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-10-2016 13:24
      |   view attached

I happen to have a Shrek dragon and an entire costuming set (if you are interested) that I created for a production a few years ago.  It typically rents out a few times a year.  Not sure where you are located, or if you are still in need, but this one is available.:)  It is a pick up or delivery sort of situation because of her size (25' from nose to tip of tail), so that may or may not work for you.  Being a high school teacher/director and designer/builder of costumes and puppets and such, I understand budgets and that sort of thing, so I usually try to work out something for my customers so they can get what they need at a price they can afford.  If you are interested in creating your own, I can give a basic idea of materials and the like, as well!  Either way, it's a super fun show...one of my favorites! :)

Noel Jordan
    Teacher/Director/Costume & Puppet Designer
    Warm Springs GA

• 5.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-21-2016 14:11

Great looking Dragon.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    Jeffersonville IN

• 6.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 07-24-2016 15:54

Wow, Noel! Fantastic looking dragon!

I had my students design and build our dragon. We used a great deal of chicken wire, shaped it into a dragon's head, and then re-purposed some old red curtains/bedsheets for a covering. The body was very minimal (read: non-existent) and we used more of the red bed sheets to create the wings. It was simple, cheap, took time to make (give students at least a month, maybe two) but it is possible to do it on a tight, tight budget. Our dragon worked fine and looked great for our spend standard (i.e. we have no budget for elaborate and ornate, beautiful Broadway-style sets)(and that's totally okay!)

So. Rent or build your own. It depends on your budget and your pool of talent, and whether you have the time available. We rented a couple of things for Shrek (Farquaad's costume, Pinocchio nose) and were happy to be able to do so (saved some time and headaches).

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL