Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-25-2018 15:13
    Hi everyone!

I'm directing The Music Man this spring and am looking into renting costumes for the first time. I'd love to hear from other teachers about your past experiences with costume rentals -- specifically, if you have any favorite (affordable) rental companies, and how you've handled measurements and fittings. I know that with many rental companies, you have to pay extra to rent the costumes for longer than a week -- meaning there isn't much time to make other arrangements if something doesn't fit. I'd love to hear about your experiences and if you have any advice or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Berg
    Drama Teacher
    Ashland Middle School

• 2.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 08:11
    When i directed THE MUSIC MAN back in the stone age. We rented 100 percent of the costumes from Norcosco. it worked out pretty well.

For the record, that is the only time I have rented an entire show.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 08:35
    Good Morning.
    I have never rented an entire show as well. I have rented some items from The Costumer. We had some fitting issues, but they replaced those costumes within 2 days. Costumer service is pretty good. If you are looking for band uniforms, you may have some luck getting a set from ebay at a cost comparable to a rental house. Maybe something to consider.

Good Luck!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 4.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 08:55
    We are only 40 minutes away from you and if you are ever looking to borrow anything let us know! We have tons of skirts and petticoats and items that may work for you.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 5.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 10:14
    Contact Spotlight Costumes in Pittsburgh. Ask for Kim Brown

Floyd Nash
    [Theatre teacher]
    Deerfield Beach High
    Deerfield Beach, FL

• 6.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 12:17
    I've used Norcostco in the past with no difficulties but they are pricier than I prefer. We have something in our area called Costume Connection; which is a local rental company. I'd look into something like that or possibly renting from the local university or community theatre company. I've also recently added Oregon Shakespeare Festival as a vendor, but haven't used them yet. Their prices are reasonable (which is why they were added).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 12:36
    The Oregon Shakespeare Festival rents costumes from our stock. I'm not sure about costs etc. but feel free to reach out to Emily Erlich at costumerentals@osfashland.org and she will get right back to you with details on how we can best support you. https://www.osfcostumerentals.org/OSF-Costume-Rentals

Katherine Gosnell
    Outreach Programs Manager
    Oregon Shakespeare Festival
    Ashland OR

• 8.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-26-2018 14:01
    broadwaycostumes.com (make sure you use the "s" at the end of "costumes"). Excellent people to work with, very good quality costumes, all of the accessories (usually). A little pricy. Out of Chicago, so shipping from there. They even built a couple of costumes for actors of unusual size (large men dressed as women), for some extra cost. We used them for entire shows many times at the college where I taught.

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]

• 9.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-27-2018 09:30
    Grand Ball Costumes in Charleston, IL

Tobin Strader
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair,
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School,
    Indianapolis, IN

• 10.  RE: Renting Period Costumes

Posted 02-27-2018 10:59
    Is it a middle school show?  If so, certain companies do better with smaller-than-adult actors.

We have done Music Man Jr. without renting - we made a bunch of pastel pencil skirts for the Pick-a-Littles and Marion, bought stuff at Savers for Harold and a few others, and bought a set of band uniforms on eBay.  If you would like to check out what we have, let me know.  Garment District in Cambridge is also great for period stuff, though pricier (still, if you have a place to store pieces for future use, purchasing can beat renting).

When we have rented, we've gone local.  Mary's Closet in Manchester, NH, which is now Department M run by Seacoast Rep (but still in Manchester).  They used to have 1000s in a huge warehouse, including plenty of middle school sized things.  Not sure if they kept the full stock when they changed ownership, but it is worth a try.  They were fabulous to work with, and since it is driving distance you save shipping, and can go back if something isn't right.  Plus, it is just SO cool to walk into a warehouse filled with aisles and aisles of theatrical costumes!!!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA