Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-23-2018 08:40
    Hello Everyone,

I'd like to hear some other opinions about the pro's and con's of Peter Pan

We are having a particularly difficult time choosing a musical for next year. The criteria we are working from are these
    1. Need a strong role for a really great tenor
    2. Very few male solos, besides our leading tenor. (we are thin next year in terms of male students)
    3. Opportunities for huge ensemble: we try to cast 50+ students, but I like to split my ensemble so they aren't all on stage at the same time. However, I also don't like to have students that are only on stage like twice, so we like shows with lots of ensemble numbers.
    4. We just did Godspell, Zombie Prom, and Beauty and the Beast, so I'm looking for something of a different style, so the students are exposed to variety. 

Currently the top of my list is Peter Pan, because I think it fits what I'm looking for, especially if I can cast Peter Pan with a boy. However, my tech director is really against this show, because of the "Indian" roles. I've spoken with a representative from the Native American Arts Council to inquire about making the show more politically correct. However, that representative wasn't familiar with the show, so his advice wasn't thorough.   

Any pros or cons to the show, or other suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kaelynn Earnest
    Teacher
    Rockford Public Schools
    Grand Rapids MI

• 2.  RE: Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-23-2018 11:58
    Hi! We just closed Peter Pan Jr. yesterday and it was such a fun, sweet show to do!
    Peter needs to be strong, but Wendy, Tinkerbell, and Hook have the bulk of the songs (solo).
    We did not fly. We don't have that capability and the cost to even think of renting a rig I understand
    is $5,000-$6,000. We spent that money instead on new microphones and it was TOTALLY worth it!
    We used fog and lighting to help create a "flying" atmosphere and I think it was acceptable. There are many options out there for you to look at. You just have to find what works for your stage! 

I had the native american discussion with my cast and we did it as written and had no issues. Actually, most of the audience and children said they were their favorites...

Pros:
    Large cast
    fairies, indians, lost boys and pirates
    diverse characters

Cons:
    Flying
    multiple sets
    pretty intricate costumes

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 3.  RE: Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-24-2018 08:24
    Hey there!

Peter Pan has been highly produced by HS and community theaters in my area this year! I've seen both amazing and not-so-great productions. Peter Pan is a tough show to do, especially because it's so hard to keep the effects real and the costumes and comedy accurate to the period. The best production I've seen was able to pass over all of these things. A small community theatre did a production of the show and set it in a summer camp. The older members of the show (actors who played Hook, Peter, Mr. and Mrs. Darling and Smee) were "Camp Counselors" and started of the play in khaki shorts and "Camp Neverland" t-shirts. They welcomed all of the "campers." About 30 kids (ages 8-16) ran in with sleeping bags and backpacks while wearing athletic wear. There were multiple trunks on stage and they put on very simple costumes over their outfits. (lots of jackets and hats and vests and aprons). They staged it as though it was the first night at summer camp and they were putting on a reading of this play. It was fantastic and didn't leave me feeling unimpressed the way that many Peter Pan's have before.

I will suggest to use your strong tenor as Hook. While Peter is a big role, Hook is the one that can really make or break the show! Cast a girl as Peter!

Hope this helps!

Kate Durgin
    Mooresville NC

• 4.  RE: Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-25-2018 14:02
    We did Peter Pan several years ago.  We set it in modern times. Neverland was in a closed down amusement park. The costumes for the lost boys, Indians and Pirates were made of duck tape... no sewing to repair clothes!  We did not fly people. We had tech people dressed all in black with black hoods and they "flew"  the characters. Some characters had two fliers and others had one or four. It worked really well.  We did have a male Peter Pan. We did the play not the musical but it would work with the musical as well. I heard about a production that was set in the alleys of Chicago which was done to reach a population who would not understand the British life style.  It is a really wonderful story and lends itself to a variety of interpretations.
    Cathy

• 5.  RE: Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-25-2018 00:33
    We produced Peter Pan two years ago. It was a huge technical challenge, but ZFX was incredible and my tech kids had a great time with lots to challenge them. It is a large draw for families of all ages.

Attaching a few pictures. We went with a twist on the traditional concept.

Here is the blurb we put in our program to address the Indian characters. Feel free to use/edit/steal from it. It kept the anticipated complaints from coming in, and several audience members thanked us for addressing the issuing.

Peter Pan first comes on the literary scene as early as 1902 and has since been adapted into many literary and stage versions. The world was a very different place over a hundred years ago and so we must keep in mind that societal ideals have obviously changed and "norms" in 1902 are no longer common place. Peter Pan is a "period piece;" a piece of art, theatre, or music, that is extracted from a certain era to give us a picture of society and life at that time and thus to modify a period piece would, in a way, be a bit like modifying history. Turn of the century Europe was fascinated with the romanticism of the "American Wild West" and so "Indians" were common in the literature of the time including Peter Pan.The directors have chosen to adhere to the original script in referring to Tiger Lily and her peers as "Indians," despite its known inaccuracy, because, first, we are under contractual agreement not to alter the script; second, it is only through the accurate portrayal of history that we can see how far we have advanced as a society and how much further we still need to go. It is impossible to learn from history if we rewrite the narrative. This topic was addressed with the cast early in the creative process so that open, honest, and mature conversations could be had during rehearsals.     

Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, President
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 6.  RE: Peter Pan Pros and Cons

Posted 04-26-2018 11:20
    Peter Pan is a timeless story! Barrie always wanted a boy to play Peter. A high tenor could pull off the part. You'll need someone in the baritone range for Hook. If you have someone who is good at transposing, it's a tremendous help!

We did the full 1954 Broadway musical at our middle school in 2007; we used ZFX for flying. At the time, they just flew Cathy Rigby; they were fantastic to deal with!

We had over 70 middle schoolers in the cast; our ensemble was superb!

We did the show as scripted; no changes! We had no issues. Everyone knew that the character of Peter had a vivid imagination; whatever he thought of would happen! He had no understanding of reality. Life was one big adventure to him! We educated our cast and crew as to how Barrie wrote the source material and how Charlap, Leigh, Styne, Comden, Green, and Robbins approached the musical version.

I totally agree with with the blurb that Krista Carson Elhai posted on this thread. Producing classic Broadway shows lends itself to educating people. Peter Pan is a period piece. I'm against "modernizing" it, cutting it, being afraid to produce it as is. This cheats the cast, crew, directors, and audience out of experiencing history.

Don't be afraid of Peter Pan! It's a wonderful musical! Produce it! Educate with it! Have fun! Life is an adventure!

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI