Open Forum

View Only

Cannot Wear Cords

• 1.  Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-16-2018 15:47
    Good afternoon all,

Our troupe has many senior thespians that are graduating this year, and many have qualified for the thespian honor cords. We have no problem supplying them to said students, but our school's administration will not let them wear the cords during the graduation ceremony itself. We have never really gotten a clear answer as to why- however, it can be inferred that the administration does not wish for certain groups of students to stand out over others (customization), or that it was unfair to other students. 

Are there any ideas on how to approach the administration on this?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Sharon Deady
    Theater Department
    La Quinta CA

• 2.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 07:32
    IF Admin does not let anyone - not NHS, FBLA, NO one, then you probably just have to accept it. While stupid, the rule is being applied to evenly to all. If they are singling Arts kids out or other clubs out (as happened at my school, where only NHS could wear, until I and many others who run various societies / clubs, addressed the issue with the admin) then you need to point out that this is unfair and mention that parents are upset (that scares 'em) and they usually will change.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 08:35
    That is very unfortunate. As mentioned above, are other students allowed to wear cords? It’s a shame, because students work hard to achieve these honors. What’s next, taking letters off of the varsity jackets?

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 09:14
    Our administration only allows academic honor cords to be worn at graduation (4.0 GPA, 3.5 GPA and NC Scholars), everything else (fine arts, FFA, National Honor Society, Red Cross etc.) is allowed to be worn at our senior awards day when all the other awards are handed out as well. It's not the perfect plan, but at least they get to wear them at somepoint and are recognized for what it is.

Robert Jessup
    Franklin High School
    Franklin, NC 

• 5.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 11:53
    I would love to hear this answer as well. Our administration told me last year that only National Honor Society and California Scholarship Federation students were able to wear honor cords. It was right before graduation, so I didn't cause a fuss, but I wanted to cause a fuss this year. I was told not to bother, that others have tried and failed. Two of our 13 valedictorians (don't ask) were Thespians last year and it would have been beautiful to have some recognition of that. They did sneak their pins onto their robes, however :)

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 6.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 14:06
    Don't the honor graduates get to war something special?

Sent from my iPad

• 7.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 14:41
    While I don't have this problem (thank, goodness!) I know there are court cases out there that have been won allowing honors to be displayed at graduation.  Not being a lawyer I don't know how to access them, but if you know someone in the legal profession I assume they could find them for you.  As to how that might rattle your Admin. you'll have to decide that.

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant & Co-sponsor
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 8.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-17-2018 15:01

Ask for the written policy from the school or district on wearing cords. There should be one unless there is a graduation committee that decides such matters and can change at will. Don't back down until you get a valid response. If you have a thespian troupe, you should be able to defend  it as an honors organization. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 9.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-18-2018 23:32
    ​I'm curious if other honoraries  are able to wear cords.  If so, there's your argument.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 10.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-19-2018 11:35
    This topic comes up about this time every year and it always makes me sad to think that a student can work extremely hard for years and then be denied the opportunity to wear their honors at graduation. 

A couple of years ago, a teacher shared a brilliant approach to this very issue. What will your students remember the most? The feelings of accomplishment and confirmation that they will experience when you award them with honor and scholar items or walking across the stage at graduation? For many, being honored and recognized with tangible PROOF of their achievements is what will live in their heart forever. Award students, no matter what.

If your school has a policy that items may not be worn at graduation, it's likely that they are not to be SEEN during the ceremony. Can students wear their honors UNDER their graduation gown during the ceremony? Likely, they can and they'll know they're graduating with all their earned honors. AFTER the ceremony, for pictures, everything can be worn on the outside to show the world. It's those pictures that'll mean the most from that day. It's those that'll be shared in social media.

Always follow school policy. Always honor your students for their achievements.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 11.  RE: Cannot Wear Cords

Posted 03-20-2018 09:22

BRAVO!

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School