Open Forum

View Only

Who directs your musical?

• 1.  Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-10-2014 13:11
    I have been teaching in a school theatre program for seven years and involved with theatre at the community, collegiate, and professional level for years prior to teaching. In my experience, it has been that the musical fell under a theatre department to choose, cast, run, etc. - which is how we have been operating the musical at our school since prior to my time here.

Within the past seven years, our music department has been growing independently from a small choral program into three distinct choral, band, and strings ensembles. Over the course of the past year, I have been feeling pressure from our choral director that rather than participate as simply the musical director, a desire to be the sole decision maker for the musical - selection, casting, rehearsal planning, etc. - "with assistance from theatre for costumes, set, and blocking".

This concept is not something that I have any experience with, that I have seen at any other HS program, and that I feel would be a huge setback to what I am trying to build with our theatre program and theatrical education. As it is, the music director (our choral director), the choreographer, and I all sit down to cast together and our band director plans and conducts the orchestra. All of which seems to provide a balanced collaboration of involvement within our department in making decisions for the show.

At various conferences over the past year, I have asked fellow HS theatre teachers at how their programs have been established and each one has told me they are the sole director of the musical and that the music department assists with the vocal and orchestral needs.

Any feedback on how your programs are run/staffed and who is "in charge" of your musical would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
    Teresa McGrath
    Greenville SC

• 2.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-11-2014 06:56
    As the funds for royalties and production expenses come from our theatre ticket sales of ALL of our play performances, (no money from the district for support) the theatre department and theatre director are responsible for casting, direction, etc. As I once had a choir director who was not interested in doing the vocal direction, I hired someone from outside to do that. Our new choir director is interested in working on the musical, and that may happen eventually, but as the working relationship with the outside person has been established for so long, we will continue to use that person. Our band director organizes and directs the pit orchestra. All of us, including the new choir director, talk over which musical to do and is doable by all groups, but ultimately it is my decision. I would be foolish, though, if I didn't listen to the experts' opinions on what to choose. Ultimately, I'm in charge. ------------------------------------------- Holly Thompson -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-11-2014 11:27
    I, too am in an excellent situation when we choose to do a musical (our facility is very limiting) and it is a totally collaborative process.   The Theatre Director is the producer, but decisions are made as a team.

Two thoughts come to mind in your situation....  who funds the production?  Currently in my school it is funded solely with Theatre Department funds.  Including the stipends that are paid to the Choral Director.  At that point, the Theatre Director should have ultimate say in producing the show.  At another school I worked for, the Musical had it's own budget and stipends.  In that situation, it was an equal say between Theatre, Choir and Orchestra.

My second thought is, why does your Choral Director want to take the lead?  It could be they are just passionate about the musical and want to lead the charge.  However, it would also be very easy for your musical to become a showcase/recruitment tool for music only and shut out your theatre kiddos who don't sing.  It's a tough balance to strike anyway and if someone has an agenda that will only make it more difficult.

I think a Department Chair or Administrator needs to mediate this negotiation and you will want to get some sort of protocol in writing. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 21:47
    Playmakers (our Theatre Arts club) puts up all the money for our musicals and I am the director.  I have been blessed for all the years that I have been doing this to not be working with adult egos. I choose the shows.  I work with the vocal director and choreographer to cast the show but final decisions are mine. Usually we are all in agreement ... but I have been fortunate enough to work with people who believe, as I do, that a student's ability to play the role is more important than his/her ability to sing the role. I wouldn't even have to bring them in if I didn't want to but I need and want their expertise.  The band teacher auditions and rehearses the pit.  The pit joins the cast during run-through week and tech week so the actors and the conductor can learn to help and communicate with each other. 

Choosing the musical is also my decision.  I usually let people know what my short list is so I can get their feedback.  There have been a few years that I have asked one or the other of them, "What would you like to do next year?"  I have always liked what they have chosen well enough to direct it.  

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 5.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-11-2014 08:02
    I feel very fortunate that we have a 4-person directing team who truly does work as a team.  We have a stage director, vocal director, choreographer, and technical director (me).  In the hierarchy on paper the stage director would be the head coach; however we have never run our program like that.  The four of us meet on a regular basis to make sure the show is on track, but beyond that we are all responsible for our slice of the pie and we help each other out where needed.

Having said that, the musical at our school has always been a drama department function, with assistance from the music department.  The stage director ultimately has the final say.

Mike Morris
    Harrison OH

• 6.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 10:07
    I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing such a division in your musical program. I think that to have a good musical, you have to work as a team. That being said, I am the head of the musical at our school. I work with the vocal director, orchestra director, choreographer, tech director, designer, costumer, and sound and lights person to coordinate all of our parts. I consider everyone's thoughts, but I have the final say. Because my team works so well, we have not run into an ego issue as is brewing at your school.

On Broadway, the theatrical director leads the team. Often that person has music or dance experience, but they have the final say. If your vocal director has theatre experience, it might work, but there is so much more to this process than what vocal people have had training. I say you will need to fight for your program and keep it within your department.

Good luck.

Susan

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 7.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-11-2014 11:42
    Obviously, all shows are collaborative, but the buck stops with me.  The shows are Drama Club events, not chorus.  I have final say on everything - the chorus teacher and I get along great and collaborate - but she has her own stuff to do.  

The way I look at it -  I have the degree in theatre, this is a theatrical event.  It should be under my control.  The only school I know of where the chorus teacher directs the shows is one that did not have a theatre program until recently.   Sounds like a power play to me.

Just my .02

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 8.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 13:26
    I just completed my first year as director. In the past, either the choir director or another teacher with theater wits helped direct musicals. They were listed as assistant director, and the previous director had complete and final say. 

I am not required to do a musical, and at the beginning of the year i told the students that I did not have plans to produce one this school year. Occasionally, the former director would direct 2 straight plays, and no musical, as well. So it was not a completely absurd concept to the school. 

However, I stumbled upon Sing Down the Moon: Appalachian Wonder Tales and was drawn toward the freedom I would have to teach various aspects of theater. One of my goals is to make sure these student get a broad scope of what theater is. All but the incoming freshman class was used to a straight play comedy in the fall, and a well-known musical in the spring. I wanted to continue to challenge these students. In choosing SDTM I gave very little specific direction on the musical numbers. There are 6 tales and an opening number, only 3 of the 6 tales/scenes have vocal parts, and only 1 of those scenes "The Sow and Her Three Pigs" is a complete musical number sung from beginning to end with minor spoken parts. So, I do not consider this a traditional musical. I have many talented students are both in the choral program as well as some members of the schools a capella group. I allowed these students to direct each other in vocal warm ups, rhythm, and assisting each other in learning the music. I know that one of the soloist's worked on her own time with the choir director to nail down her part. However, we spent very little rehearsal time on learning the music. I gave 1 optional rehearsal to go over parts at the beginning, and those students taught parts to those that could not attend on their own time, or during rehearsal during a scene they were not in or during break. 

I held one intensive weekend with a guest dance instructor Matthew Olwell (Google him!) from West Virginia who taught variations on traditional Appalachian dancing - Flatfoot/Buckdancing as well as a brief introduction to tap including the Shim Sham. We had 1 fully-choreographed number but two students who are alumni of our school. The female student has been Appalchain clogging for 9 years and taught the footwork for the leads, the male student is a percussionist and taught the percussive dance parts that involved chairs, chalkboards, and body percussion for the chorus members. It worked out wonderfully. The rest of the dancing was improvisational and fed off of the workshop with Matthew Olwell. 

I also brought in a Miami University student as a dialect coach to teach a generalized and consistent Appalachian dialect. I knew I did not want the students to come up with heir own dialect, coming across as a stereotype, or as if they were poking fun at a specific region of our nation. It worked wonderfully and the students all sounded like they were from the same mountain and not just trying to sound "hick" "hillbilly" "redneck" or "country." 

My direction of the music itself was almost solely on the feeling, as well as the overall sound, volume, and intensity. I was greatly encourage by the students turning to one another when they needed help with their part.

I also brought in a local musician, Susan Pepper, who has her Masters in Appalachian Studies, for a 1-hour vocal workshop on Appalachian vocal styles and music. She instructed a general lesson of the history of the music and taught 2 traditional songs - one focusing on harmonies and the other on ballad-style lyrics. Students used this workshop much like they did Matthew's. They incorporated what they learned into the characters and their performance.

So, this production was a group effort with specified instruction and input from various individuals, including the students themselves. 

I greatly enjoyed this format, and may use it in the future as well. If I do ever make the move and decide on what I consider a traditional broadway-style musical, I mayhe consult and include the music faculty from within the school. However, our school is full of extra-curricular musical opportunities, A capella, jazz band, etc... and these music educators already have their plates full. I believe I would be more likely to pursue the inclusion of a non-music educator within the school district who has music skills. One of my goals in to impress on the students that you do not have to pursue the arts as a career to include the arts in your everyday life. I believe including a science teacher who can sing and dance would impress such a thing.

I'm not sure if this helps in your question, but this is how I tackled my first musical as a high school director.

Cheers

Andrew Lynn
    Oxford OH

• 9.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 09:31
    Ultimately I am in charge of the musical.  However, I hire a Musical Director and Choreographer.  I've been working with my Musical Director for 4 years and he is fantastic.  I trust him and listen to his ideas.  With that being said I am the final decision maker.  I always listen to his opinions regarding casting, but in the end I make the decision.  I've had times where he really wanted to cast a certain person in a role and I disagreed.  So, I went with my choice.  Most of the time we are on the same page though and I value his opinion greatly. 

It should be a collaboration, but you should have the final say. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 10.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-13-2014 08:30
    While I agree with Ms. Jacobs-Stanley, when I was hired here 7 years ago I was told up front in the interview that the musical would be done by the music department. The head choir director - who is also the department head - hired me to choreograph, so the production became a performing arts department production, with the choir director as the final decision maker. This was completely foreign to me, but I thought you might like another view from another high school. I feel for Ms. McGrath - many people think anyone can direct and throw a show together and they don't understand long standing traditions. We don't go to the head coach of a sport and say we want to tell him or her how to coach  or make final decisions in a game, but as long as some feel entitled to be in charge there may always be conflict. Since I've never been in charge of the musical here, there is no conflict. I'm very busy with the fall show, student written and directed one acts, four levels of acting classes and my seven year old son. Keep us posted with your situation.

Carolyn Kovar
    Florissant MO

• 11.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-14-2014 09:48
    It sounds like you are in the middle of an old-fashioned power grab. The part that I find most telling is "...with assistance from theatre for costumes, set, and blocking". Right.
    You get to do all the production elements and block any scenes that don't have music. You're being asked to go from being the producer/director to being hired help.
    If the music department wants to take the artistic lead, are they willing to cover the financial risk as well?
    I have always collaborated with the music department on the musical, and the result has been several lifelong friendships. I enjoy getting their input on casting, but it's ultimately my decision...though in 30+ years of directing high school theatre,  I don't remember ever having to pull rank.

Billy Houck
    Sunnyvale CA

• 12.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-13-2014 14:12
    As the theatre teacher, YOU are the director of the musical.  Your training and expertise and teaching postion superceed any other member of the team.  Yes, there is a music director and a choreographer, etc. but they are all members of your team.  You could all sit down at a table and you could share your vision for the upcoming show; one that spells out exactly what everyone's roles are (in writing).  A lot of times you can get an "experienced" and over zealous music director who speaks over you at rehearsals or who feels they share the directorial duties.  Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and your position to be the overall director of the production. Think back to when you were hired and the job description.  Did it include directing musicals?  Every theatre teaching job I have ever seen listed includes this as an expectation of the theatre teacher if the school is actively producing musicals at the time you are hired.

And finally, what many people do not understand is that so much more falls on your shoulders as the director.  If the music director really wanted "FULL" control, he or she may not really want all the other "stuff" that comes along with that. 

Maria Norling
    Glendale AZ

• 13.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 09:53
    I have the unique situation where the music department was created before the theatre department, so the Music Department has always been in charge of the musical.  It is not as good an experience for the kids as it could be, because the Musical Director has no theatre experience, thus the blocking is stale and uncreative, and the actors are given very little direction.  The Theatre Department does try to coach the kids, but it is often not well received.  The Musical is also almost always under-rehearsed, because she is trying to do everything herself.  Despite the Theatre Department's best efforts, she is very resistant to change.  30 years creates quite a legacy. 

I would recommend you hold on tight to the Musical.  I direct professionally as well as teach, and the Musical Director never has final say.  It should always be a collaboration, as all theatre productions are, but ultimately they should be there to teach music and conduct the orchestra.  I think you will get very frustrated if your Musical Director becomes the one in charge.  Good luck!

Terri Ferguson
    Performing Arts Chair
    Ursuline Academy of Dallas
    Dallas TX

• 14.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 10:01
    I'm it. I choose, direct, produce, design, costume, choreograph (I'm double certified in dance so that's not a problem for me) and frequently seem to be taking on some of the music direction. *sigh*. Since theatre covers the costs of, well, everything, I choose completely on my own (within the limitationsplaced from our dstrict and administration). I had a music director come in from another school one year and will probably have to hire an outside music director in the future. Sorry it's probably not very helpful... :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 15.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 19:22

The theater department/teacher directs the musical.  There can only be one director or the vision of the musical can become a mess.  I do have a vocal director,musical director, choreographer, and technical director.  We do have production meetings  to discuss concepts, set schedules, review budgets etc.... But a musical is more than just the "music" and involves the analysis of the play and characters plus artistic vision of the bigger picture.  

Having you help with the blocking tells me that the choir director doesn't understand what the role of the director is.   Hang on to the musical, the skill set for  a director is very different than choir. 
    Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 16.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-12-2014 23:22
    I have always been the main director of every musical and have often done it solo, acting as music director and choreographer as well. In better years, I have have had the help of the choir director or choir accompanist. Right now, I work in a fairly collaborative environment that sounds very much like what you have been doing. I would never let them call all the shots though. It very clearly falls under my jurisdiction as we pay for it and receive the profits.

Does your choral director have a background in theatre? Does he or she understand everything that goes into production from securing rights to character development to design? Does he or she understand that there is more to directing than blocking? I would be extremely uncomfortable relinquishing that control as it would definitely undermine the theatre program as a whole. This sort of happened at a school in my district. The choir teacher thought that he could teach musical theatre because he had music directed a couple shows. What ended up happening is that the drama teacher left and now that school is the only school in our very large district without a theatre program at all.

Good luck!

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

• 17.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-14-2014 09:00
    Our theatre program is in charge of the musical. We selected it, run it, and pay for it. Our choir director is normally the musical director of the show. The choir director, theatre director, student director, and choreographer if we have one are the casting crew. 

I do not think there has ever been discussion of it falling under the choir director at our school. It is a show, it is put on by the theatre! 

Best of Luck! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 18.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-14-2014 09:03
    Do you share the proceeds with the choir (if the musical director is your Choir teacher) and band (if your Band director directs the orchestra)?

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools
    Christiansburg VA

• 19.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-14-2014 16:11
    Teresa, I have always mandated that the musical was a collaborative decision between three people: Director (drama teacher), Musical Director (choir director) and the Choreographer (dance instructor). All three are colleagues in the 9-12 high school performing arts department. I refuse to have anyone work in isolation and they need to come to consensus on a show that affords the students as much success as possible. Therefore, I do not expect them to meet on a show for the new year until they see what their talents are in the Fall. There have been years when there were just no solid male dancers. That would have been the year the director might decide to do West Side Story, for example.

Peter Crosta
    Supervisor of Visual and Performing Arts
    Orange Township Public Schools
    Orange NJ

• 20.  RE:Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-16-2014 14:25

We choose together.  I bring an idea (or a few ideas) to the group that I think we can stage, then the choral director gives input on which ones we can realistically cast based on our vocal talent and our band director gives input on the abilities of the students to play the score (he's banned me from doing Sondheim again anytime in the near future!).  Ultimately it's a collaborative decision.

Once in the rehearsal process, I create the rehearsal schedule with input from the choral director and choreographer.  We don't see the pit until about 2 weeks before we open, so he creates that schedule.

• 21.  RE: Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-20-2014 10:06
    I know that I am about to be thrown under the bus but as "basically" a music director, I have found it very difficult throughout my tenure when it comes to musicals and the direction that they take each year.  I have 20 years of experience both as a choral director and also as a musical theater director.  In all of my past positions, the musical was basically run by the drama teacher/director.  In every case, with the exception of one, I was treated as somewhat of an outsider because all I knew was "music".  Of course this is not true.  I have an extensive background in musical theater, dinner theater, and everything in between. Because I was not the drama teacher, I was what I felt to be and "also ran".  I was good enough to teach the singing but that was about all.

I found it incredibly frustrating to hold my breath night after night as I watched the "actors" attempt to sing because the casting was based on who was in the drama class or were considered to be the best actors. It was the same at every school: singing compared to acting came a very low on the totem pole when it came to casting.  My standard statement is "It is called a musical for a reason.  It is not an actical" (my word).  Of course the students MUST be able to act but they also MUST be able to sing.

I am extremely fortunate that in my new position I am both the drama and the vocal teacher.  I am at a small private school and I have the luxury of combining the departments and it has been a great first year. With the wonderful support of great parents, we are building a strong theater and vocal program from the ground up. It is very rewarding. 

Everyone talks about how choir directors do not understand the ins and outs of a show such as obtaining rights, choreography, set design, and such.  That is not true in every case.  It is difficult to do a production alone without the teams that you all speak of, but it was nice to actually cast the students that could carry the singing as well as the acting for once.  Every drama teacher that I have worked with have cast good actors that could not carry a tune on a regular basis.  That is beyond my comprehension but as the choir person, I could not override the decision.

Several of the posts address the question of where do the funds come from and where do they actually go.  I always found it funny that I was at every rehearsal, every production, every everything and my department never received one penny and drama was happy to keep it that way.

I know that this is not a popular position but I hope that this sheds a bit of light "from the other side". I love musical theater and will continue to do my very best to infuse students with a positive experience.

Ellen Starkey
    Drama & Vocal Music Director
    Christian Life Academy
    Baton Rouge LA

• 22.  RE: Who directs your musical?

Posted 05-24-2014 12:02
    In our school, we collaborate on everything. We are very fortunate that our parent booster organization is all-inclusive of all performing and visual arts. About eight years ago we divided up responsibilities and put people in charge. Our drama teacher teaches all of the acting classes and theatre production and serves as main director/producer of the straight plays, one-acts, etc. I am the choral director, however I have extensive background in musical theatre, performing in over 20 shows while in college and professionally with local troupes and opera theatre as well. I direct/produce the musical and our instrumental teacher conducts the pit. We also have a choreographer and technical director. We do a lot of collaboration and that is what makes our team successful.

Philip Forman
    Director of Choirs & Musical Theatre
    Thompson School District R2-J
    Loveland CO