Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shrek Dragon

Posted 11-28-2017 13:26
    I am getting ready to hold auditions for Shrek the Musical and have a question about how others have handled the Dragon character.  I've seen both the puppet version and the costumed character version in videos. The music indicates that there are three voices in the vocal score for Dragon. What works?  What problems have been encountered?  Your expertise may prove valuable in my decision making process.
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laurie Tyson
    Theatre Director
    Henry County Board of Education
    McDonough GA

• 2.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 11-29-2017 08:32
    We didn't have a puppet version of our dragon.
    Our student dressed in black (leather jacket),red dress. (With Huge wings!) and scaled makeup. The most important for this was a KILLER voice. (and someone who doesn't mind  a spotlight song and not a whole bunch else)
    The prisoners and other principals with mics were her backup vocals.

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 3.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 11-29-2017 08:45
    Our Dragon was much the same, in a scaly dress and a very impressive makeup job. We had half a dozen backup dancers/singers in red dresses that we credited in the program as "Flamettes," which was fun for all.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 11-30-2017 08:42
    We made a costume. Lighting doesn't do it justice, but it is a pink bodysuit painted with purple scales. The wings and tail were made and we added a tutu. :) 
    thumbnail image

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO

• 5.  RE: Shrek Dragon

Posted 11-30-2017 09:07

i ordered a set of "digilegs" which are essentially reptillian stilts--the same ones they use in the "Alien" movies.  It was a bit of an initial learning curve for the girl playing dragon but once she got it--it was pretty cool.  It made her about 7 feet tall and with the costume we built around her--wings, makeup, a dragon headpiece that could move.  It was very effective.  We rent the costume out all over the country along with the rest of the show if you are interested.

Here's a clip of her moving in the them:  Dragon Legs for Shrek!

YouTube remove preview
    Dragon Legs for Shrek!
    Our Dragon is amazing! Get your tickets to see Shrek soon! Tickets for the public go on sale on Monday, Feb 3 on www.appletonnorththeatre.com
    View this on YouTube >

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI