Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-03-2016 10:53
    I'm researching the ins and outs, pros and cons, joys and nightmares relating to acting with animals in theater productions.  If you would like to share any experiences you've had or know of, please contact me directly at mdixon@transy.edu.  All stories, thoughts and opinions are welcome.  Thanks, Michael Dixon, Associate Professor, Transylvania University.

• 2.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-04-2016 19:15

My advice is always hire a dog trainer. Before we had one on hand for each dog rehearsal and each show night, I had to "fire" a Sandy from ANNIE. I felt so bad.  One dog, no matter where his mistress stood or hid, would bolt pulling the actress playing Annie off the stage, through the audience and out an exit door. I did have to "train" Annie to let go and have actor-cops  ready to capture Sandy. 

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 3.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-05-2016 13:29

I've used dogs in two shows.  The first was very early in my carreer.  We had a golden retriever puppy in "Cheaper By The Dozen".  We took the time to let Katie meet everyone.  We sat around in a circle and just let her wander the room at will.  As a result, she was very cooperative and social with everyone.  We did keep her on leash, but she had this amazing ability to slip out of her collar.  It made for some very funny moments and gave my junior high actors some very good practice at staying in character while problem solving on the fly.  My favorite moment was when she ducked out of her collar during curtain call, jumped up on the couch, grabbed one of the throw pillows, turned and faced the audience with her big ol' tail wagging.  She was so proud of herself!

More recently, I directed "Legally Blonde" with my high school kids.  I was very fortunate to have a staff member who has a malamute therapy dog who was our "Rufus".  We worked regularly with them along with our very tiny "Paulette" as well as "Dewey".  We definitely had concerns that "Rufus" could overpower "Paulette" since he outweighed her by 30 ponds or more.  "Rufus" got audible "ahhhs!" everytime he came out of the trailer.  Our "Bruiser" was a chihuahua who also came with a trainer.  The trainer actually wanted to go into training animals for the stage.  We never could get him to bark on command though, so we did use a sound track for the bark.

wC6GzmTQJG35lNuWTxN6_IMG_1181.JPG

Gretchen Stewart
    Teacher/ Director
    Inglemoor High School
    Kenmore WA

• 4.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-06-2016 17:57

I directed The Wizard of Oz a few years back. It is my favorite show and I wanted it to be perfect so I spent two years planning it.  I even adopted a dog, a Cairn Terrier and named him Toto.  I took him to the stage often and trained him for a year.  However, I forgot how important it was to have him around people (It was just me and my son at home).  On the first day I had him at rehearsals he growled at the Wicked Witch and nipped her on the behind.  Well, that was the end of that as I didn't want him around small children if I couldn't predict how he would behave around them.  I loved him like crazy, but he just wasn't meant to be an actor I guess.  :)

So we had auditions for a Toto.  Several cast members brought in their small dogs and I had our Dorothy work with each one to see who she felt most comfortable with.  We ended up settling on the cutest little terrier and belonged to one of the ensemble members (She used to joke that her dog had a bigger role than she did).   The dog was great.  We didn't have to use a leash and he would sit in Dorothy's basket whenever she put him down for a dance number and such.  At one point, Toto had to escape from the castle and run across stage, where his owner was waiting with a treat.  He did it every rehearsal and every performance flawlessly, until closing night.  On closing night he ran half-way across the stage and then sat down and looked directly at the audience.  I guess he was enjoying the spotlight for as long as he could.  A flying monkey was supposed to be chasing him and the monkey ran on stage and the dog wouldn't move, but Toto was supposed to escape the monkey.  Monkey ended up scooping up Toto and then pretending that he jumped out of his arms when reaching the other side of the stage.  The audience loved it and it's one of my favorite theatrical moments.  : ) 

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 5.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-07-2016 14:49

Last fall I directed Annie, and we used a three-legged rescue dog for Sandy.  We brought the dog in for several rehearsals, and everything seemed fine.  However, after opening night, the student who played the police officer who confronts Annie about Sandy had to be dismissed from the show for reasons i will not go into in this thread.  Being short on males to begin with, I stepped in to play the officer,on the second and third nights,  not thinking about the fact that I had never rehearsed with the dog.  Apparently, my voice, being louder and more stern than the student's voice, frightened the dog so much that she wouldn't run across the stage to Annie!  The actress called for Sandy about three times and finally had to move towards her a little to get her to come back.  The final night was a little better, but I don't think the dog ever did like me very much!  

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Selma, IN

• 6.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-07-2016 19:42
    We've used  cast members' pets numerous times . Effective use sometimes means judicious timing by limiting their  time on stage..... unless you really want to lose ALL of the dialogue while they are on! They do steal moments!
    Two Gentlemen of Verona; A Midsummer Night's Dream; and many musicals. Best when a cast member owns the pet.

Betsy Bishop
    bbishop140@aol.com

• 7.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-08-2016 05:28
    Several years ago for a small theatre production of Antony and Cleopatra we used an actresses' small pet boa constrictor as the asp. It worked quite well, no danger to animal or performer, but an assistant principal refused to do supervision duty on the show when he found out at the last minute that there was a live snake in the show. (The snake's not on that long, but this guy was really afraid of snakes.) It was a very intimate production, so a fake snake would have looked...fake.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, Ca

• 8.  RE: Looking for Stories about Acting with Animals (also directing, producing, stage managing, wrangling)

Posted 08-05-2016 15:02

What a great question! And I love seeing the dog pictures!

Several years ago, I was in a production of Talking With… by Jane Martin and performed the monologue, “The Handler,” about a snake handler. The director asked me if I would be okay using a real snake. I agreed and a small corn snake was borrowed for the production. It hung out in its cage on the prop table, and a few minutes before I entered, I would place it in a small bag and take it onstage with me. A few of the actors were terrified, so I always tried to warn them before it was time.

It was a small theatre and the audience members were only a few feet away when I pulled it out of the bag. The reactions were entertaining, it caused quite a bit of buzz. Some were fascinated, others nearly ran for the door. The snake always gave a stellar performance and was quite sweet, but it was incredibly difficult to concentrate, especially during such a long monologue. The combination of audience chatter and the unpredictability of the snake’s movements were difficult to tune out. I’ve always felt like it was my worst performance, although I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 9.  Animals in a show

Posted 08-08-2016 11:10
    I have one more story about the dog from ANNIE. We formed an alliance with the local humane society. Their volunteer would bring an adoptable dog to the stage door in time for the dog catcher scene. We provided an assistant dog catcher's costume for their volunteer. The actor playing the dog catcher entered and pretended to lose control of dog, which then ran to the assistant dog catcher. At Intermission the adoptable dog was available for petting. We ran 12 shows and were able to have 12 dogs adopted.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com