Open Forum

View Only

Hard Work Is Its Own Reward

• 1.  Hard Work Is Its Own Reward

Posted 03-09-2020 10:53
    Hi all,

I have noticed in a couple of threads the notion that "this show is an audition for the next show." While I 100% understand this idea, I wanted to put forward a different perspective and explain why I don't use that mantra in the rehearsal process.

I want my students and crew to work hard in this moment because it is the right thing to do, not because they expect anything in return for it. I emphasize that "hard work is its own reward." I don't want my students trying to impress me because they think it will lead to a larger role or more responsiblity in the next show. It is my experience that just leads to heartbreak down the road. The messaging of "this show is an audition for the next," takes away from the joy of this show and sets up a false expectation. A student, who excelled in the last production might not work as hard in the next audition if they think they have it in the bag because of their work ethic. Being a part of this show is something they get to do, not something they have to do. I believe they should work hard because they committed to this project. 

I don't want students and parents trying to quanitify how valuable one students work was over another. I can only imagine a parent saying, "but she worked the hardest in the last show and deserves a bigger role." That just isn't how it works, but I could totally see that perception getting in the way.

It is my experience that what we really mean by "this show is an audition for the next show," is actually "it is really hard to forget a negative or positive rehearsal experience." To that end, when a show is over I have a little mini conference with my actors and crew leaders. If someone had attendance or attitude issues that will preclude them from being the next show I tell them that. I don't let them wonder what I am thinking. If someone grew a tremendous amount in the rehearsal process, I tell them that I noticed it. I ask what worked and what didn't. If I see potential in someone I tell them. Those conversations add value to the work of the production.

I have a mentor who said to me years ago, "Do the show you're doing." As leaders, I know we have to a vision for the future, but this idea really stuck with me. So much so that I share it with my students.  Being fully in this moment and doing your best in this moment is a reward in and of itself. Naturally hard work for the sake of a job well done teaches lots of lessons and does set students up for future success, but those lessons/successes reach far beyond our stage.  From my perspective, a student should work hard in any part and see the value of that work for what is, not because they think working hard will get them a "bigger" part.

Those are just my thoughts,

------------------------------
    J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Williamsburg VA
    ------------------------------