Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-17-2018 11:50
    I would love some ideas for how to get middle schoolers British accents. Our show auditions in December before their 2 week break and it would be lovely to have some things for them to work on. Thanks! 
    --
    Mary Todd Kaercher

• 2.  RE: Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-17-2018 12:20
    David Alan Stern's dialect training has been invaluable to us. Great for in-class drilling and for independent practice. Both "standard" British and Cockney training is available.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-18-2018 03:18
    Every time I do a show that needs a dialect coach I use Adam Michael Rose.  He is fantastic and my students love him.  I've used him for Mary Poppins, Fools, Summer and Smoke and other shows.  I know he's developed a dialect package that is affordable that he emails to you specifically for your show. I think it may even come with a Skype session (but I'm not sure.) I always use him in person.  I highly recommend Adam.  His website is www.adammichaelrose.com

Thom Babbes
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Village Christian School
    Sun Valley CA

• 4.  RE: Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-18-2018 04:02
    We found the Harry Potter movies to be very helpful when working with young performers on Mary Poppins. Specifically Emma Watson as Hermione for proper British.

Erik Stein
    Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre
    Santa Maria CA

• 5.  RE: Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-18-2018 08:04
    Mary,

I highly recommend Paul Meier: https://www.paulmeier.com. I have used him to work with my high schoolers on many English-speaking shows and other dialects. He is talented, professional, creates his own dialect books, and offers coaching in affordable price ranges. We would often purchase his dialect books, work for a few weeks together as an Ensemble learning the dialects, then Paul would have Skype coaching session with the students individually to help polish the sound. He works technically, specifically, but also with a sense of character and theatricality. Go check out his website!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: Dialect teaching ideas for Mary Poppins Jr.

Posted 08-18-2018 15:20
    All of these are great resources if your kids are up to doing the work. In the end, if they are not connecting with any of these systems, encourage them to simply be very clear in their enunciation. If they slow down their rate and articulate each word, using strong consonants, they will have a clear departure from their normal speech. Then, you can coach some specific vowel substitutions. Hopefully you will come up with a clean natural sound and the text will do the rest. spit spot good luck

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]