Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  course proposal for adaptive theatre?

Posted 10-22-2017 06:58
    Hi,

We have a life skills class in our school and two gals from that class are are in our fall show. They love being in the show yet know little skills. I want to propose a class/course for the challenged for next year in theatre and was wondering if anyone has taught a class for our special population? If so, can you offer some hints on course approval process and what the course may entail? Thanks.

Kate Caton

Music and Theatre Instructor- K-12

"Whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do it well; whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself completely; in great aims and in small I have always thoroughly been in earnest." Charles Dickens  "David Copperfield",

• 2.  RE: course proposal for adaptive theatre?

Posted 10-23-2017 11:56
    It will depend on what your school district and state require for both proposals and working with the sped kids. If you don't have your certification in special ed you'll probably need to team teach with someone from that department. I'd recommend going to the department head and working together to create the proposal.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: course proposal for adaptive theatre?

Posted 10-24-2017 07:09
    My Theater Arts class is set up this way.  It is a class for all things backstage.  I rotate kids through 4-5 week units in scene design, set construction, lighting and sound, and costumes, props, and makeup.  I co-teach it with a special ed teacher, and there are several students in the class who come to class with their own personal aides.  We keep the class as hands-on as possible, and we do a lot of the backstage legwork for our shows.  The special ed teacher and I work to assign tasks to students that work for their ability level and push them to lead, when appropriate (the class has 28 students in it this semester, and the students range from non-verbal students with down's syndrome to honor students).  Honestly, the biggest obstacle we have is that many students have never held a power tool!  Also, it takes some pushing for students to realize that being exact is crucial in design and construction.  If you want more information, shoot me an email, and I will try to help.

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com