Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lav Mic Replacements

Posted 05-26-2021 08:44
    Hi Everyone!

My middle school department has 8 Shure SLX wireless receivers and body packs.  However, the lavs that came with the system are starting to show some wear and tear. I am looking for some replacements that are not as expensive as the Shure lavs but will still give us a decent sound.  An additional bonus would be ones that go over the ear or around the back of the head AND come in a variety of skin tone colors. 

I am also searching for a less expensive wireless system to add to our total number of wireless mics. As the program expands, only having 8 bodypacks has been tricky and the switches that happen during the show lead to additional unnecessary wear and tear. 

Any advice or product recommendations?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Olivia Robinette
    Moore Square Magnet Middle
    Raleigh, NC

• 2.  RE: Lav Mic Replacements

Posted 05-26-2021 10:12
    In the past, we have gotten inexpensive, quality microphones from bodymics.com.  However, the website isn't loading for me right now, so I don't know if that means they've gone out of business or the website is just being strange, or if my internet is struggling!

We recently had to replace nearly our entire wireless system due to our frequencies being in the wrong range.  After a lot of research, our technical director decided on MiPro as a good option for us.  They get great reviews and are much cheaper than other systems.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School

• 3.  RE: Lav Mic Replacements

Posted 05-27-2021 05:59
    We also have used bodymics 
    https://bodymics.myshopify.com/collections/broadway-series-near-invisible-capsules

We purchased 20 of the $50 lavalier style for our spring production this year because they worked so much better under masks (hopefully won't have to say that next year) and we found that the quality was easily as good if not better than the higher priced mics we have used in the past.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

• 4.  RE: Lav Mic Replacements

Posted 05-27-2021 07:45
    Hi Olivia.  Thank you Laura and Toni for the shout out.  We are still around - last year was tough, but things are now moving in the right direction for theatre and hence for bodymics.

Please check out our microphones - https://bodymics.myshopify.com/collections/broadway-series-near-invisible-capsules

We have the three styles you spoke of - lavaliers (wig/hairline), dual ear headsets with neckband, and single ear earsets (Countryman Style or our EZ_Fit Silicon Snail Ear-hook variant - BE4V/BED4V)

As to  cheap (less expensive) wireless systems we have our Creative Audio CA.81BB (8 receivers in a !u Rack Case and 8 body-pack transmitters for $2000 less 15% to schools = $1700  https://bodymics.myshopify.com/collections/retail-wireless-systems/products/copy-of-ca-81h-h-band-handhel-transmitter-530-580mhz  We have sold a lot of these systems into schools as either primary or secondary systems.

An alternative to buying is to rent any extras you need on a per show basis - over time this may cost more, but at least you spread the cashflow out to match need.  There may be better use of capital ...

A word of caution ...
    • it is not possible to willy-nilly keep adding wireless channels, the laws of physics limit the number of channels that can be used simultaneoously in a given area, further complicated by whatever other "wireless technoligy" devices are in use in the immediate vicinity
    • Shure has discontunued the SLX range and replaced it with the digital audio over UHF SLXD series (highly recommended)
    • Depending on the band of SLX (G4, G5, H5, H19 or J3) the most Shure recommend using together in your area is 20-21 units
    • it should be possible to get all 8 of our CA.81 channels to play nice with your existing SLX - again it depends on your particular SLX units
    • I would seriously recommend the SLXD range as a consideration - more expensive at around $650 per set.  We love the dual receiver version in a single box
    There are alternatives to switching mics and packs when you have limited inventory - try getting extra mics and "permanently miking each actor who has lines - then you just need to transfer the body-pack.  Put said bod-packs in a transmitter belt, worn under the costume - then just unplug the mic, undo the belt, transfer the belt/body-pack, connect the new actor's mic.  Yep we manufacture the belts too.

Bodymics exists to support school, church and community theatre - this commitment influences everything we do - out price structure, the products we manufacture, and the brands we choose to support - all are designed to provide the most cost effective solutions for better live theatre audio.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 5.  RE: Lav Mic Replacements

Posted 05-28-2021 07:30
    Hi Olivia,
      As others have noted, bodymics is a good resource.  However, we purchased Acacia LIZ Pro mics for our packs: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LizProT4Tan--acacia-liz-pro-headworn-microphone-for-shure-wireless-tan

They have tan, black, and cocoa options. The "Pro" model has a detachable cord and you can buy spare cords.  When there is mic trouble on stage it is usually with the cord, not the mic itself, and the cord is much cheaper to replace than the mic.  The original selling point for me was that the cable/connector had a 3 year warranty (the mic itself has a 1 year warranty).  So if one went bad during a show I could just swap the cord and then get a replacement cable for free.  It's not clear if that is still their policy - it doesn't say that on their website anymore - but I have never had a problem submitting a request to Acacia.

Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown High SchoolGuy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown High School