Open Forum

View Only

Dueling Drama

• 1.  Dueling Drama

Posted 11-23-2015 08:02
    PLEASE help with advice and insight!

I replaced a Theatre Arts teacher who had been in the school for six years.  BUT she is still in the building!  She teaches English and we share many students.  She was supposed to be a "Resource" for me but she "supports me by leaving me alone" and undermines everything I do.  She gossips with all the students about what we're doing in class and how things are so different and it's taking a huge toll on me, my classes and my fall production - and now the interest in auditioning for my spring musical.  I talk ed to her once and she was as fake as can be.  She was supposed to leave curriculum and plans and an overview of how things go around here and she left NOTHING.  Even the Fine Arts teachers were shocked with what was NOT left for me.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for reading :)

Thank you,

~Christie B.
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Chopticon High School
    (301) 475-0215  x38157

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, forwarding, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.

• 2.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-23-2015 08:57

So sorry about this. If the students tell you what she said, document it. Write it down, date, time, student. Take it to the Principal when you have a substantial amount. This is unethical. 

For right now, do your shows with what you've got. If students say she did better, ask them "Then why isn't she doing it now?"  Cue music: "What Have You Done For Me Lately"

If student don't want to audition, they loose, not you. 

The students will eventually see that she is bad news and detrimental to the school and program.

And eventually, she'll die.

Good luck.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-23-2015 11:49

I've had a similar, but different, issue. In the past I worked as an associate dance director and the dance director and I had a "history" from our university days. She would talk about me behind my back, to students, and try to undermine my credibility with students, parents, and colleagues. It actually made the kids uncomfortable to hear. Your students will recognize the lack of professionalism and will lose respect for an adult who acts like a teenager (which is what sounds like is happening).

Document, document, document. Keep track of what's said, to whom, and how you discovered it. You need to talk to your administrator, but I'd bring your department head in to the meeting with you for support. That's part of the job and you'll probably feel better if you do. Depending on your administrator, he or she may ask if you've approached this person directly about the issue before moving up the chain. Something to think about. If you do approach, take notes afterwards with as many specifics as possible (this is assuming things do not go well). Then you'll have specific instances that are not secondhand that can be addressed and shows an attempt on your part to handle the situation quietly. 

If you need any lesson plans, assignments, or anything else to give you a base for your department don't hesitate to ask. That's what we're here for. Things will get better. In the meantime, pick a show you're passionate about, have some killer auditions, and get to work with the kids who want to be there working with you and appreciate everything you do. *sending hugs and virtual coffee your way*    :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 05:43

I am in a situation similar to yours.  However, my colleague still teaches the acting and directing classes, and oversees our mainstage shows.  I run our Thespian Troupe, direct our contest show, prep kids for IEs and college auditions, take them to the conferences, run general meetings, and I tech our summer show and do lighting for our musical.

This year, without collaborating with me, she scheduled her musical rehearsals in the spring of 2015 for the winter of 15-16.  When I went to schedule my contest play rehearsals, she told me she needed those days and barely budged except on the few days before my contest.  

I tried talking to her about a schedule swap to give me some of the acting classes so that I could have more time to prepare the kids for conferences and free up their after-school time some.  She refused.  She has told students that they might not get into the musical if they are doing contest stuff.  The kids came to me several times with concerns, and I told them that I didn't care if they were in other shows besides the contest show, as I have never had a problem sharing students.  

This is a good teacher, mind you, but I am working hard to take the program to the next level.  I have no interest in taking over the mainstage shows, either.  But I definitely now get the cold shoulder.  I am working to get an advanced acting class in place to achieve my goals.  Waiting on admin to give me a response. 

My advice is this:  over time, the kids will realize (as they have started to here) what is happening and do the right thing.  Fortunately for you, over time, the kids who knew your predecessor as a director will leave and you will be left with those who only know you as the director.  And then things will get much better!

Best wishes!

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 5.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 07:12

Things will get better! Hang in there. You can do this! In the meantime, as everyone said document EVERYTHING. It is SUPER important. Definitely take things to the administrator and do you have an Human Resources department? You need to meet with them too. What does your manual say about employee conflict. I'm sure what she is doing goes against it.  Human Resources will NOT allow this type of thing to go on because it is employee abuse. Go in to your meetings without emotions and state the facts you have documented and explain how it is detrimental. Dont worry, when you start getting HR involved things get better. Just don't get emotional, even if the lady is fake or doesn't tell the truth. Stay professional. The truth always comes out. 

As far as the kids, they will come around. Usually it takes two years. This year I am new to a position that a drama teacher previously held for 7 years. What you tell the students is to stop living in the pass. Stop bringing up last year. You are a different teacher and you have different methodologies. Their living in the past is just keeping them stuck while everybody else moves forward. I've had to say, "Wow, do I look like Ms. Trattner (old drama teachers name)? It will get better and better. Just be your genuine self. And the other teacher won't get away with spreading her poison for long. Dont worry. Just takes time.

Fredreka Irvine
    Teacher of Theater Arts
    Carlsbad CA

• 6.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 06:00

I was in a similar situation as well--My program was taken from me after nine years and with no real reason--other than she was a friend of the principal.  I left the school because after talking to her and offering my services as her tech director I was told--"I don't need you because I'm better than you'll ever be."  I also knew how emotional it would be for me to deal with my kids coming to me constantly with what was wrong.  

Even though I left, she still struck out at me--I went to see the kids competition show--I came, said hello to a few parents and kids, said break a leg, watched the show, and left.  When I got to my school on Monday, I had to sit in my principal's office and listen to a tirade from her through her principal about how it was my fault they lost---I distracted the kids.  

Needless to say, she left after a year, and they have a wonderful new director in her place

My kids quickly separated themselves from the drama and quit, but they came back when she was gone.  Try not to listen, do you thing, document, and it will work out.

Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 7.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 08:29

Well, the first thing to do would be to talk with school administrators. Colleagues need to work "with" not "against" each other. If that gets you nowhere, then you must go to district administration. This might seem a bit harsh, but since you already tried to talk with the other teacher and things didn't get better, you have to go DEFCON 1. This has to be stopped so you can build your program. This wouldn't really happen in sports so why should it happen in theatre?

Dan Schmidt
    Theatre Director
    USD 229
    Prairie Village KS

• 8.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 08:34

I strongly urge you to do your own adaptation of Shakespeare. I have three pieces of advice. Choose a play you know well. If you've taught it a few dozen times even better!  Follow the advice I received at the American Shakespeare Theater summer camp--"dissect rather than amputate". This means that you resist cutting characters or scenes. Get an online open source full text and copy into a word document and go at it with a highlighter. This gives you the advantage of a constant resource to see what you cut where in case later in rehearsals something seems wonky and  needs reworking.  It can seem daunting at first but if you just do a scene or two at a time you can do it surprisingly easily.  It is fun to write your name in the program as "...adapted for ______ by____."

Nell Lynch

• 9.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-24-2015 10:41
    Christie,

It's funny how much "drama" seems to creep into teaching theatre. I feel your pain,especially if you are a first year teacher.It's hard enough that first year without the additional strain of having to compete with a former director still on campus.

Biggest advice would be to talk to the student leaders. If you have boosters, talk to them. Every school has their traditions and it's best to keep them in place and make changes gradually. As far as classroom lessons, etc. the theatre 1 babies are all yours. Unless they have siblings in the program, none of them know what it was like with the other teacher. Eventually, all the other kids who are still loyal to the other teacher will graduate and you will be left with the kids that are loyal to you.

?

It gets better. Good Luck.

Ed Como
    Chaparral Performing Arts Chair
    Chaparral Theater and Film Instructor
    Scottsdale Unified School District

• 10.  RE: Dueling Drama

Posted 11-25-2015 10:56

Christie,

Your situation is uncomfortable, but it will get better. Many responses to your post have given you some excellent advise. You didn't share why your predecessor left, which I think is a key factor in the way you may want to approach the situation. She seems to be having a hard time letting go...was it her choice to leave the position? Is she trying to keep a hold on the position, hoping to make a come back? Was she asked to leave?

One bit of advise I will add to the great advise already shared - don't feed the beast! Try not to react to the childish behavior of your colleague! It will keep the teacher going and it will give the kids that like to stir the pot opportunity to make things dramatic. When kids run to you with news of the latest insult, sarcasm, comparison....just cut them off and immediately move on to something else. Once the kids see that you are not engaging in the drama, they will stop. If there are a couple of gossip mongers in the group...distance them...don't cast them or include them. You need to focus on positive energy, rather than the negative destructive energy. 

Second bit of advise - make your own traditions. Whether I am teaching theatre classes or Social Studies doing something outside of the routine with the students always allows great moments to bond. Take a field trip, go to a show, a competition, a festival, bring in an artist to conduct a workshop or have a unique party or celebration. Seeing you and relating to you in a more personal way outside of the "expected" lets the kids (parents, too) get to know you and enjoy you in a different way. PLUS you will have fun too, a much better option to the frustration you have been dealing with.

Keep your head up and let them see the real you, not the you that circumstance and pettiness is making you into.

Good Luck! You can do this!!!!

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 11.  RE:Dueling Drama

Posted 11-27-2015 22:52
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and that the other teacher wasn't more mature about it. I've always said that if I were ever to decide to teach English, there is no way I would stay at the same school because of lingering loyalties. When I left my old school, a few kids contacted me and complained about the new person and how he did things "differently." I told them that they needed to forgive him for not being me and take it as an opportunity to learn things I couldn't teach them.

Like others have said, it just takes time. The first year is usually rough, the second is better and by the third year, they are your kids, not the last person's. My advice would be to completely ignore the drama in front of the kids. If they feel the need to talk about how great it used to be, then let them - focus on the kids that are there to create theatre. As far as the previous teacher, it sounds like you tried to address the problem directly and got nowhere, if she continues to create a hostile environment, document everything and bring it to admin.

Hang in there, it gets better!

---------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    ---------------------------------