Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-25-2014 15:44
    Any advice regarding producing "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" for a middle school? Revised version vs. original version? Other suggestions? Thanks! ------------------------------------------- Mark Middlebrooks Highlands Ranch CO -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-25-2014 22:53
    I too am considering this show for our middle school. I have done the original version and love it, but the revised is a bit more updated and has a few more roles.. Haven't decided 100% yet, but I think I may opt for the revised version. I am in a unique situation this year in that my school's theater is going through a 2.5 million dollar restoration. New lights, sound, curtains, seats, stage floor, chandeliers, the works!. So I am looking for a small cast show to be performed somewhere else. Our usual musical involves well over 200 students. This year, we may be in a tent outside on the field, or in the gym (if I can get the PE classes to go somewhere else). We'll see. Good luck with your decision. ------------------------------------------- Ron Wells Lawton C Johnson Summit Middle School New Jersey -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-26-2014 11:43
    BIG surprise for me. MOST of my students did not know Charlie Brown or Peanuts. We grew-up with this iconic cast, but most of the kids don't read ANY newspaper comics and of those, few recognize CB! Those that DID recognize the strip did not make the connection. "Oh, you mean like in the newspaper? THAT Charlie Brown?" We went with the newer show. You'll read reviews saying how the classic show has more soul. That's a function of the CAST RECORDING, not the actual libretto. ONE FINAL suggestion which actually relates to the first. Remind the cast (and maybe the audience in your program) that the format is LIKE a comic strip. Short (three panels) for the weekday strip and longer pieces for Sunday. We were initially put-off by the choppiness of the script. But once the internal structure of the strip itself --- some stand-alones, some continuing stories, etc --- it was easier for my kids to get their heads around. ------------------------------------------- Brenda Chapman Jacksonville FL -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-27-2014 11:34
    Having performed as Charlie Brown in both versions, I find the original to be dated and kind of sleepy these days. The revised show is far more exciting, giving Shroeder a truly great song to lead in Beethoven Day and adding Sally Brown as a character really revitalized the show in its production. It's also my feeling that people very much associate ...Charlie Brown with the song, "My New Philosophy" , and people would be disappointed not to hear it. This show is an example of the revival truly being a better show than the original. ------------------------------------------- Jarad Benn Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts Pa Leadership Charter School West Chester PA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-26-2014 09:38
    The revised version has Sally and "My New Philosophy." The original doesn't. ------------------------------------------- Ann Johnson Milwaukee WI -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Posted 07-28-2014 07:22
    I have directed both and am a big fan of the original. Yes, the revised has new songs, a jazzed-up orchestration, etc. But I think that may be its flaw. When I did the revised version years ago, I promised myself I would return to the original if I ever did it again. I think the show works best as a straightforward show. The bigger it gets, the further it gets away from the simple beauty that made Peanuts so wise and endearing (and may be partly the reason it didn't run very long on Broadway -- i.e. it didn't belong on a big stage like that!) Last season, at a new school for me, I returned to the original version and had no doubts it was the right choice. Sure, the kids did not know Peanuts very well, but that was not an issue. It was such a delightful journey to step back to something smaller than the last few years of the "Broadway" musical. And the kids embraced the characters, as did the audience. So...there's my two cents worth. Break a leg. Keep it simple. That is where the beauty lies. But whatever you do, enjoy!

-------------------------------------------
    Tim Brown
    Greenville SC
    -------------------------------------------