Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-08-2020 14:33
    I have four freshman students that will have 9 Thespian points after our spring musical in March so they are VERY close to the necessary 10 points to be inducted.  They have been very active and have done anything asked of them so I feel they deserve to be inducted. Any suggestions of something I could have them do that would earn them at least one point before April so that they can be inducted this spring?

------------------------------
    Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 2.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 03:10
    Observe some local theatre and write a review.  Do that twice you have your point. 
    J

Juanita McGarrigle
    Theatre Director
    St.Albert AB

• 3.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 05:27
    Maybe have them clean out your costumes? Or sound and light boards?

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 07:43
    Just a few ideas, as I think about what is on the EDTA list:

-have they gone to see other shows?  I think it is a 0.5 point for each show, provided they provide a critique/evidence of attendance

-do you have a theatre club that is separate from show business?  our club activities help students to log hours that benefit the HS theatre program

-have they attended a theatre-related event?  (State conference?)

-have they helped in an area that is outside their normal?  (I have "sound crew" kids who help with construction - so as long as they have hours to log, I give them credit for both so long as they do not exceed the maximum for each area)

And, sometimes, they just can't quite make it over the line... and that's okay.  They'll easily qualify for next year - and continue earning points to help get to the other honor levels for future years also.
    Missy Mintzer
    PA

• 5.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 08:02
    Are there any classes or workshops they could attend?  I give my students a point for attending an all-day workshop in Pittsburgh that is run by local professionals.  They also get a point for taking my Theatre class.  Are all of your storage areas clean and organized?  Perhaps they could spend some time organizing props or costumes?  Just a few thoughts.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 6.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 08:49
    How about having them create advocacy posters to hang about the school? Or, if your school has a morning broadcast, have them put together a minute for theatre ?

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 7.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 09:12
    Hello All,
    I thought the kids could only choose one option for each show, e.g. whatever they did that get them the most points per show.  Is that not correct?

Kathy d'Alelio
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Fairfax, VA

• 8.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 10:16
    I award for everything they do.  If they have a lead and still come in to work on the set, I think they deserve points for all of it.  They have put in the time, where others have not.  In my view, they have earned all the points.

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown KY

• 9.  RE: Ideas to get Students to 10 Thespian Points

Posted 01-09-2020 10:04
    Are they interested in playwriting?  One my students wrote and submitted a play to local teen playwriting contest and I awarded them the 1 point for an unproduced one-act play and another point for entering the contest because she did some extensive revision to get it ready to submit.  This got her to 10 points by the end of 9th grade. 
    Also, on a side note, we have made the choice to depart from the suggested guidelines for production points because of the way we rehearse.  I give all students in the play at least 5 points because they without a doubt they put in at least 50 hours, even the folks in the chorus. I award 7 points for minor roles and I still award the 8 points for leads.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC