Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dialect resources for beginners?

Posted 06-26-2014 16:19
    Hi! I teach Theatre grades 6-8 and frankensteined together a dialect unit for my intermediate kids last year using Robert Blumenfeld's book/CD set, Accents: A Manual for Actors. The passages were a little too advanced for my kids but the examples on the CD tracks were helpful. Unfortunately, they didn't follow the practice exercises in the book very well and the pauses weren't long enough. One resource I do have is a classroom set of iPods that I could load material onto for individual practice. Anyone have any different CD and/or book recommendations that work well for a general introduction to dialect work? The usual Standard British, New York, Irish, and Southern would be great. Thanks! ------------------------------------------- Benjamin Stuart Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher Seattle Public Schools Seattle WA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Dialect resources for beginners?

Posted 06-26-2014 17:32
    Also check out the website for the IDEA: International Dialects of English Archive. Worldwide vocal samples of all genders and ages are included. The participants read samples and are often interviewed. You can download clips and create a bank of authentic samples. We use it frequently.

-------------------------------------------
    Bob Ramseur
    Newnan GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Dialect resources for beginners?

Posted 06-27-2014 11:55
    Check out www.accenthelp.com.  It's run by a professor of theatre & voice at the University of Houston (Jim Johnson).  Great text resources -- succinct but thorough -- and great audio files, all downloadable. Each package runs about $25.  A wide variety of accents to choose from as well.  I've used New York, British (Standard, Estuary, and Cockney), American Southern (Hard-R and Soft-R), and Central Plains Midwest.  

Michelle Ludwig
    Director of Drama
    Kinkaid School
    Houston TX