Open Forum

View Only

How long do you wait before doing a show again?

• 1.  How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-30-2014 15:21
    I am in a rural, extremely conservative district, and I struggle to find plays that are acceptable for us to produce (no language, controversial situations, etc.). To clarify in your minds just how conservative it is, our troupe had to cancel a planned production of Arsenic and Old Lace because our board said we could not do it after the publishers told us we could not change the language that appears in the show. 

Recently, I received word that there are two new full-length versions of one-acts we presented in the spring of 2011. I am interested in the new versions (which will be different), but I am wondering if it is too soon to revisit the works. 

So the question is: If you want to do a show again, how long do you usually wait between the productions?

-------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 2.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-30-2014 16:21
    I am in a very similar situation.  I keep being told how workable publishers are in allowing changes to scripts, but I have asked multiple times and have yet to receive the go ahead to change the text in any well known play. 
    I know there are many plays out there and many of quality - but, I would like my students to have at least an experience or two with a well known piece of literature (other than Shakespeare) during their four years of high school.  Apparently if you are not able to curse profusely then this becomes a problem - especially for anything contemporary. 
    Additionally, it becomes challenging to do a variety of styles and topics when you are looking for something clean, that fits the size of your group, and fits the budget you have to work within.  I could think of 50 plays I would like to direct, narrow that to about 30 that would fit my budget, narrow that to about 10 to fit the current size of my group and then narrow that to maybe 4 that are clean or willing to change text.  That doesn't allow for a lot of options in the arena of "giving a broad based experience" - especially to my college bound Theatre students. 
    And we haven't even addressed the time that gets invested in evaluating those 50 to cull it to 30, to cull....well you know...
    With that said, my rule for repeats is every 4 years.  That way no one who worked on it the last time we did it will be working on the current production.  I might be tempted in your situation to go for it since there are distinct differences in the script.  Although, it may present some interesting challenges - ie. Casting.  Do the same people get the same roles if they are still in the program?
    Take it to your officers.  See what they think - if it was successful for them the first time, maybe they will want to tackle it the second time. 
    Good luck - to us both!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 08:30
    I'd like to recommend TWO different companies who produce "clean, acceptable" plays that the kids love.  I WILL say, most of their shows are not "great theatre," but my kids love them and both companies are very approachable.

Playscripts,Inc.  was created by 3 siblings from a college dorm room.  Their stable off writers covers a wide-range of styles and subject-matter.  A HUGE advantage of Playscripts is that you can READ most of the play on-line --- the endings are omitted and the copy is locked so you can't copy it.  That is a tremendous help!  www.playscripts.com

Theatrefolk offers a WIDE variety of services, webinairs, on-line classes PLUS many many "appropriate" plays.  Lindsey Price is the owner and principle writer.  She is accessable and understands the restrictions which many school-based programs have to live with.  She attends Thespian festivals in-person and my kids really LIKE her!     www.theatrefolk.com      

I can't help with the TIME it takes to read and evaluate.  But your TROUPE can help you read on the Playscripts, Inc. site.  And if you have something specific (production requirements, number/gender of students, subject-matter, etc) Theatrefolk really knows its stock and is very willing to help. 

Brenda Chapman
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 11:23
    Brenda,
    Thanks for those suggestions!  I have used both these companies.  I absolutely LOVE Lindsey and Craig at Theatrefolk.  They are truly champions of the theatre educator!
    With that said, I would like to bring wider variety to my program.  It would be lovely to have a resource that would clearly mark which shows allow for edits so time is not wasted pursuing a show that is a no go. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 15:15
    I think as a general rule, the smaller or more school-centered publishers tend to be home to more flexible authors when it comes to school productions (simply because they are more aware of the issues confronting teachers in this market). The only time I think I ever really balked when it came to changes in one of my plays was when somebody wanted to make Achilles in Thank You for Flushing My Head in the Toilet... a girl, because the whole point is that boys and girls are bullied differently. (But it was fine to have a girl play the role as a boy, and that's happened.) On the other hand, authors like Simon or Albee have generally instructed their reps that no changes are allowed. A good place to look for more community appropriate scripts could be the world of adaptation. Alice in Wonderland, Little Women, etc. all have credible adaptations out there that I imagine would pass muster in relatively conservative places. Or perhaps contemporary plays that treat historical events in new and interesting ways? Personally, when I was teaching, I wasn't much interested in directing something I'd already directed, but I think if you could do it in a way that made it interesting for you to do again, or if this group of kids were really excited about tackling it, then doing a show that no current students were around for the last time could work out just fine. Cheers, Jon ------------------------------------------- Jonathan Dorf Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights Los Angeles CA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-30-2014 20:56
    I generally wait 8 years for repeating plays but in view of your circumstances, I would say you should be extremely flexible. Another thought is to do a play you have done in the recent past but give it an entirely different treatment. For instance, we did Antigone one year and presented it with masks for key figures and instead of Greek costuming, we went with colorful Indian saris for the women and all black for the men, complemented by more modern dress for the ensemble. The copyrighted text was unchanged. I know this is Shakespeare, but we just did A Midsummer Night's Dream set at Studio 54 (ala the Disco era). Don't know if you like melodramas or not, but there are some out there that can play well to audiences. You might check out Don Zolidis's comedies and see if they meet the conservative benchmarks of your community. We had a great time with his Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon and his Hamlet Thrill-ma-geddon. His works are handled by Playscripts, Inc. I think. ------------------------------------------- Carol Hovey Livermore CA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 13:42
    Zolidis has been my go to guy for the past few years, because almost all of his plays have a clause about being able to change things as needed to suit the community. I just realized I neglected to say what the shows were in 2011. They were the one-act versions of The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet by Peter Bloedel (a full-length version has just been released) and The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon by Don Zolidis. Zolidis is working on a musical version of it, and I know there is also a full-length version of it.

The year after that, we tried to stage two plays, but sadly, we had people who were not self-disciplined enough to be reliable, and both shows were cancelled as a result due to a lack of interest from others. :(   Those shows were By Candlelight (which I still want to do BADLY) and The Election by Don Zolidis. The Zolidis show received the nail in its coffin when one of our leads decided to drop out of school due to family issues.

The next year, we did get one show on stage - Zolidis's The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza.

Last year, my district added the yearbook to my duties, and it was in bad financial shape, so I had to focus on getting it straightened out, and most of my kids were tied up with band year round (We had a new director who wanted band at pretty much every sportm which puts drama in a bit of an impossible situation since we only have 420 kids and around 50 or so are in band. The bulk of my drama kids are among those 50.).

This year, I WANT and NEED two productions. Both for my sake and my kids' sake. I feel they get overlooked or get the shaft often, and I hate it. We have yet to get to festival, because we have zero budget and have yet to really build up our funds due to the issues above. We were ready to go to fest in 2011, but we were unable to raise enough money for our hotel rooms and the bus driver, gas to get there and back, and his room. 

If any of you have suggestions of clean small cast shows (5-10 kids), please let me know.

I am an alumna of this program. When I was in school, we would do shows each spring that had 100 to 200 kids in it (think Oklahoma!South PacificWest Side Story - Yes, we have gotten more conservative here instead of less.)! However, over the years there has been a lot of turnover in the drama position. Some did productions, some did not, and most did not price their tickets high enough. I would love to get back to that level, but I am also realistic that our population is steadily going down.

By the way, none of the kids who were in the 2011 production are still in the program. They have all graduated.

Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 8.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 06:38
    My general rule is 10 years, but 8 years makes a lot of sense. Most of my larger shows use both middle and high school students. Waiting 8 years would allow all of those kids to graduate before doing the show again. (And bring in a new audience as well.) I understand the challenge of finding scripts that appease the powers that be. The full-lengths would give a new spin to the works you previously performed, but I am constantly amazed at how many scripts are available. You may be able to find a new piece to serve your needs. That can be challenging though. I read 10 lousy scripts for every usable one - and I'm operating in an environment that isn't quite as conservative as yours. ------------------------------------------- R Andrew Strickland Director of Theatre/Chair of Fine Arts First Presbyterian Day School Macon GA -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 08-01-2014 22:34
    I wait 10 years. I have a list of every show our school has produced since 1964 and I reprint it every year with a new big black line in between the shows within the last 10 years and all the shows produced before that mark. That way the students know what is OK and what is not s they can pitch shows to do. ------------------------------------------- Jeff Bengford Performing Arts Chair & Director Campbell CA -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 08-01-2014 22:34
    Heard a story about a theatre educator who started each year with a production of YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, cause he/she knew the show as did the kids each year. I do not advise that. Just to give all a "What was this teacher thinking?" moment. ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones Ojai CA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: How long do you wait before doing a show again?

Posted 07-31-2014 16:00
    Jennifer, I'm in sort of the same boat, but I get a little more flexibility.

You did take the words from my fingers - Zolidis has been great to work with! Of my last five plays, I've done two of his. Brothers Grimm was a huge hit.

That being said, I've instituted a four-year wait on reproducing a show. When I started here at Hebron High School, I did Brothers for my first show. I still have people talking about it, and kids who were in middle school want me to do it again. So, that one is on a four-year rotation for me.

Also, if you've not seen, Zolidis has a new show that will be with Playscripts in Sept. You can read it now for free, and if you want to do it, he'll send you the script, all you have to pay is the royalties. 

Good luck!!

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN