Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Act Plays

Posted 05-01-2019 13:42
    Hi Everyone,

Our school has been pretty musical theatre heavy and we are re-introducing One Acts back in to the programming. I dont have much budget or resources currently. I am looking for Popular one act plays (really trying to use the name to help get it going) with a mid sized cast. Any help or suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you,

------------------------------
    Anthony
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

• 2.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-02-2019 08:26
    Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon and Greek Mythology Olympiaganza are both fun shows to do. I have found that sometimes a good name for a play will draw them in just as much as a popular one. 

I'll see if I can come up with other suggestions as well.

Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 3.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-02-2019 09:40
    I'll second Brother's Grimm - it's fun, fast-paced, and can (and probably should) be done on the cheap, and people seem to be attracted to Grimm fairy tails. Check Please is also fun and easy to manage, though it is short - about 30 minutes. It's also easy to sell - a series of first dates gone wrong.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-02-2019 11:00
    Both Grimm and Greek have flexible casts. We're about to perform Goldilocks on Trial, which has been a lot of fun. You would need at least 12 for the cast, and you could add up to 12 more if you wanted a jury on stage.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-03-2019 11:26
    Thanks so much, will look into ordering a copy of these.

Anthony
    [Fort Lauderdale] FL

• 6.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-02-2019 09:42
    Hamlet Zombie Killer of Denmark is fun and a great title to bring in kids. It's on theatrefolk

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-02-2019 11:42
    Check out the one-act plays of Thornton Wilder, particularly Pullman Car Hiawatha and The Long Christmas Dinner. 

David Ives has been called a master of the short-form play. His best titles are Sure Thing,Variations on the Death of Trotsky, and Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread.

The folk at Theatrefolk have some excellent one-acts. 

Stephen Gregg's This is a Test is the most produced of his plays, but he also has other worth looking at. Many of his plays are geared for high school students.

Twelve Classic One-Act Plays, edited by Mary Carolyn Waldrep is a collection, as the title suggests, of classic, royalty-free one act plays by such playwrights as Eugene O'Neill, Molière, Anton Chekhov, William Butler Yeats, James M. Barrie, and Edna St. Vincent Millay.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: One Act Plays

Posted 05-06-2019 14:39
    Take a look at "The Audition" by Don Zolidas.  It sounds rather appropriate since it is a comedy short play about high school auditions for a musical.  Lots of good roles and some serious undertones.  (Playscripts, Inc.)

Robert Laconi
    Bethlehem PA