Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-09-2015 10:48

I just found out about this and thought I'd share because it's a pretty amazing opportunity for those of us who haven't had the chance to get to New York to see a Broadway show, not to mention a significant moment in the history of theatre. Tomorrow night (Thursday, Dec 10) at 8:00, you can livestream Daddy Long Legs for free! Here's the info:

Livestream - Daddy Long Legs

What do you think? Will this become the new way to see a live show? Will it make Broadway more accessible and increase the popularity of theatre in general?  

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 2.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-09-2015 15:02

OFF Broadway (not to be picky but a huge difference between a two-hander in a small theater vs true Broadway)

Mr. Davenport (lead producer, owner of the theater where the show is playing which is named after himself) is a proponent of new media. I can't see it becoming de rigueur. In this case it may raise the visibility of this particular show without eating into profits. But hard to see a Broadway show benefitting from this WHILE it's still running --- if you came to NYC and had a spot open in your busy schedule to see a show and you're standing in line at the TKTS booth making a decision: would you spend $50+ (cheap ticket) to see a show you've already seen (streaming) or would you spend the same $50+ for a cheap ticket to a show you haven't seen? Perhaps if you loved-loved-loved the streaming show you'd choose it. But if not, the producer has lost his shot (Hamilton), given away his show for free and your ticket $ goes to a different producer.

I think Authors must tread very cautiously here: what potential does a Work hold for subsidiary rights (film/TV) if you've given it away for free (via streaming)? Or if not free and there's a modest charge for admission to see a streaming event in a movie theater: if it flopped in the streaming event does that negatively influence the advance you'd potentially receive for a film adaptation? Or scare investors for a film because the streaming did poorly? Or does it raise the brand awareness and benefit everyone?

I'm in the camp that theater is live art: to be experienced in a theater during the moment. Live streaming to a personal device is not theater. Streaming to an audience in a movie theater is a shared experience approaching the art of theater but can't compete with film/TV which is written, designed and created for that medium. Theater is theater. Not film, regardless the degree cameras & technology progress. In the theater, I am my own director. I can look where I want when I want, and not have a camera/editor make that decision for me. I must be involved (or not); I can't put the show on pause and come back to it later.

Davenport's heart is in the right place: he wants the art he produces to be made available to everyone; to raise awareness of the industry, to make it vital for people and to cultivate audiences for today and tom'w. Noble. (and also enhances his bottom line as a producer, but I don't believe that's his primary motivation) In the end, I'm not sure live streaming is a great idea - neither for the medium nor the artists involved in its creation. As an alternate revue 'stream' it's a double-edged blade.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-10-2015 06:02

I completely agree with Michael. Michael worded it perfectly. I was just having this conservation a few days ago with the trend recently to have live Theatre on TV. I think you lose the magic of theatre when it's done in this form. It could be the fact that the camera makes the decisions but really a myriad of other small details that are missed. I whole heartily agreed and I for one hope that this isn't where theatre is going. There is nothing that compares to a night out to watch live theatre. 

Cristina Pla-Guzman
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-10-2015 13:34

Thank you for this information!

I just sent the link out to my Drama Club and Thespians.

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN

• 5.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-10-2015 15:42

Oops-yes, Michael, you are absolutely right, it's Off Broadway! While I certainly agree that theatre is always better live and I share your and Cristina’s concerns, thinking back to my younger self, I'm still optimistic that this could be a great success for the theatre world as a whole.

Growing up in a small town, I didn't have many opportunities to see live, professional theatre, but I did somehow stumble across the soundtrack to Rent when I was in high school. I listened to it on repeat until I knew every single word, I read everything I could find about it. I learned the names of the actors, listened to La Boheme, read Pablo Neruda, anything I could to help me imagine and understand the show since I had no way to see it live. I’m so encouraged thinking about all the students in small towns like mine, who might be surviving on soundtracks, having this opportunity to see a live show. Teen Ginny would have been more excited for this than she was to see the Backstreet Boys get the top spot on Total Request Live! :)

I guess I also think of live streaming as more like a preview of a movie. If it’s done right, it builds my anticipation until I can see the real thing. If Daddy Long Legs knocks it out of the park tonight, I’m going to need to see it in person (and buy the soundtrack immediately to learn all the words!). 

Let's send our fellow players some positive thoughts tonight, this has got to be THE worst case of stage fright!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Alexandria KY

• 6.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-10-2015 20:13

Well, please report back on your thoughts; interested to hear.

(I'm working at a show, so I won't be able to watch.)

Afterwards, if you're in love with the score the record label is having a sale on the cast recording (through the end of the month): 15% off all cast recordings --- unsure if they have any 'soundtracks' ;)  Plus free shipping in the US.

If you prefer having an actual disc instead of download.

Sh-k-boom records

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-10-2015 22:33

I really enjoyed the production. I watched it on a laptop at my kitchen table and was just transported. I was so taken with the performances and story that I wasn't focused on the fact I was watching a musical thru my computer. Other thoughts?

Harper Lee
    Digital Content Manager
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Livestream of a Broadway Show!

Posted 12-11-2015 09:05

While I agree that it is nothing like the live experience I think it is a great opportunity for folks to have a taste of a limited performance that they cannot possibly see. I recently watched a live stream of the Cumberpatch Hamlet live streamed around the world from the National Theater in London and it was wonderful! It really gave a sense of a global community to imagine that it was being shared in America, Europe, Japan and Australia all at once.

Maggie Ward
    Columbia MD