Open Forum

View Only

the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

• 1.  the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-28-2018 18:13
    Hey Community,

I am directing a middle school performance of Midsummer.  I'm sure modern productions often grapple with the sickening dynamics between Helena and Demetrius.  I think it is especially timely to grapple with this relationship...but I don't know how.  I'm at a loss.  I need to teach my middle schoolers something.  And I refuse to let it pass as comedic behavior in front of our audience of K-8 graders, let alone the friends and families of my performers.  

What creative twists have you done or seen to mitigate this portrayal of female with no self-worth and an a-hole with all the power?  Am I being naive?  Are there deeper layers that I have failed to bring to light?  

Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom,
    Rachel

Rachel Robbins Toon, Ed.M.
    Sixth grade teacher
    Ann Arbor STEAM @ Northside

• 2.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 03:27

Hi,

Not trying to be unhelpful but if you find it so troublesome, why did you choose it?   Judging a 400 year old piece of Elizabethan drama by 2018 standards is bound to end in problems.   Don't forget these roles weren't even performed by women.  

The way I see it, you have a couple of options:

A). Explore your intent for the choice:  Is your mandate to challenge, entertain, provoke thought, or simply to explore Elizabethan drama in general and Shakespeare's use of language in particular?
    B). Use the performance as a springboard to further learning.  Do a talkback with the audience about how and why the viewpoints and behavior in the play represent the understanding of most of the people of the time and how and why most people see things differently today.
    C). Choose a different play, or an abridged version that is more palatable to you.

In an another note - see if you can find a copy of the hard to come by 2016 Shakespeare's Globe version directed by Emma Rice which is a remarkably modern take on the play.   It was broadcast on BBC but I'm not sure if there is a DVD or streaming version of it.

------------------------------
    Mark Patton
    Theatre Director
    American International School of Lagos

• 3.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 05:58

I think you either have to find a way to see and present these characters in their best light: D is trying his best to win the hand of the woman he truly loves - that Helena thing was just a phase, THIS is the one! H is so strong and in love she will throw all societal constraints, fear, and possibly safety aside to get what she wants - D. This is why they are actually good together, they are fellow rebels who follow their hearts wherever they lead with total abandon!

OR, pick another show. I love Mid, but if you try to turn it into a morality tale it will be miserable, for the actors, for the audience, and for you. If you wrestle with Shakespeare, he will win every time. It really is a matter of how you can see and present the characters. My worry is what you said "I refuse to let it pass as comedic behavior in front of our audience of K-8 graders, let alone the friends and families of my performers." I promise you, if you try to turn it into a modern social commentary, it will kill the entire play and not end up teaching anyone anything. I was once in a production of Twelfth Night where the director really focused in all the tragedy viola had faced - and it was the worst play I have ever been in. 

Sometimes, we as directors can't do a work because our view is so different (in my case it is My Fair Lady, which to me, is a musical glorying an abusive relationship - thus I can never direct it). This may be that show for you. 

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 4.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 08:45
    I agree with Jeffrey. 

This IS comedic behavior, buffoonery if you will.  It's all about how "love" makes you do ridiculous things and we've all been there.  Understanding their behavior will put actors in the position of connecting with the audience, judging their behavior will do the opposite.  Being clear on the vision of the play - why you are producing it in particular - will also help you know how to proceed.  Maybe a talk back after the show, or followup questions for teachers to discuss with their grade level classes.

The 1999 film version may give you some insights.  These folks will do anything for "love" including mud wrestling.  I did a modern version a few years ago where some of the exchanges were done via text message which further enhanced the misunderstandings.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 08:38
    Ahhh, I agree with my colleagues: Midsummer is not to be overwrought or overthought! It is the most incredible fun when it is brought straight into the world of junior high students, as MELODRAMA!

My daughter did scenes from MND many years ago, and still we count it as one of her favorite class projects. Broad, melodramatic scenes hit these kids right where they live every day, "wearing their hearts in their sleeves". It is delightful fun, and does not have to be taken so seriously. It was not written in 2018. 

These boys and girls have enough to overthink in days to come: let's allow them to take something lightly for a change, and simply enjoy playing teenagers: they'll have a blast! 

Best of of luck to you!

Vicky Ryden
    Assoc. Drama Director
    John's Creek GA

• 6.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 09:30
    Hey Rachel!

I did this show at a high school and really made a point to discuss these unhealthy relationships but not try to change them. We ended up discussing how we all know people similar to D and H and how we view them, positively AND negatively. It ends up being a consensus that none of the ladies want to be a Helena and none of the guys really want to be a Demetrius. The kids recognize the crumminess of this relationship, just give yourself a little time to discuss and make clear that you don't endorse it, it's just an example of gender roles and a recognized dynamic of the time. There are plenty of other strong women in this story that you can use as polar opposites to Helena.

Kate Willers
    Drama Director
    Littleton CO

• 7.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 09:42
    I also agree with what has been said. If you find the relationship unpalatable for your community in today's society I would look at changing pieces. The relationship between Helena and Demetrius is so important to the play that you can't successfully change it and keep the integrity of the piece.
    Have you thought of doing Comedy of Errors in it's place? That would allow you to really springboard a discussion on vetting your information and ensuring you have the correct facts instead of working off of assumptions. Or have you thought of looking at someone else? Maybe a Moliere or Johnson?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-29-2018 11:10
    Thanks everyone for the advice!  My drama club picked the play, so that's why I was grappling with this after "choosing" it.  And I did this production several years ago, and I don't remember being so bent out of shape about this relationship.  Maybe it's the current national climate that has me extra sensitive.   I appreciated the pushback to take it less seriously, and to bring out the ridiculousness of it all.  I'm reframed!

Rachel Toon
    6th Grade Teacher/ Drama Club Director
    Ann Arbor Public Schools
    Ann Arbor MI

• 9.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum
    Best Answer

Posted 01-29-2018 10:48
    I do not agree with the consensus here. I think it is pretty important to perform Shakespeare's plays, but it is equally important to apply a contemporary lens and confront the difficult areas. I doubt there is a single play by Shakespeare that does not have a moment that challenges us, but there are many ways to deal with that. 

I used the Demetrius/ Helena "spaniel" scene in class this year. I was more uncomfortable than I have been in the past, but I think it lead to valuable discussion. There are a few ways to look at it that I think are useful: 

1) Demetrius is not necessarily wrong to be frustrated with Helena. The question is not about whether he should be annoyed (he should) but how he behaves.

2) One could argue that Demetrius says some of the worst things to her in hopes to get her to go home. If she continues into the woods, she could be hurt or killed.  If he says anything kind, she will follow. He is trying to push her away for her own good. This might be hard for a middle school actor to play, but I think the text supports this.

3) Helena says some very uncomfortable things, but ultimately she has a journey of strength. Ultimately, she turns her back on all parties and is willing to walk away. When she ends up with Demetrius, she does it on her terms. 

Hope that helps. 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 10.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-31-2018 12:14
    I agree. When we did Midsummer a few years ago, we spent a ton of time talking about the moral conundrums posed by Helena and Demetrius' relationship, and it made our production much more interesting and multifaceted. One way of looking at it is that, yes, Demetrius is an absolutely awful cur who uses Helena and then tosses her aside without a second thought. However, in the end, Demetrius ends up being manipulated into marrying her. While this is presented as a convenient "happily ever after" for all of the characters involved, there is some ethical ickiness about drugging someone into falling in love with their ex-girlfriend. Does Demetrius have any free will in this situation? Is his marriage ultimately any more or less "forced" than Hermia's was in the opening scene? Is this a fitting comeuppance for a character who found women so disposable? Or is it just as amoral for Demetrius as it would have been for Hermia?

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 11.  RE: the ol' Helena and Demetrius conundrum

Posted 01-30-2018 02:52
    You can also just cut the worst of the lines. (The spaniel one for example.) That makes the two of them a little more normal. I mean, people adapt Shakespeare all the time.

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA