Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A Puppet for Annie's Sandy

Posted 02-01-2016 09:08

We are producing Annie and hoping to make a life size Sandy puppet to be operated by a visible actor.  Anyone out there who has done this?  Would love to see pictures and hear about training your student puppeteer and building a moveable puppet!

• 2.  RE: A Puppet for Annie's Sandy

Posted 02-02-2016 08:17

Linden Hall is the oldest, continuously operating girls school in the United States.  We are currently celebrating our 270th Anniversary.  While we have a thriving theater department, our stage is relatively small, and we often have to reach outside our community when casting male roles.  When we produced ANNIE we opted to design our stage based on the original comic strip. Large white panels covered in giant newsprint from the 30's served as our basic backdrop.  We added moveable life-sized characters and furniture pieces cut from foamcore and painted in black and white to add to the comic strip feel.  Sandy was literally a cartoon dog modeled after the original cartoon character.  By adding wheels and a hidden fishing line, we could roll him on and off quite simply.  I've been directing high school theater programs for 35 years, and this is my favorite set design by far.  (And I didn't have to work with a real dog!)

------------------------------
    Dennis Foreman
    Theater Arts Teacher
    Linden Hall, Lititz PA

• 3.  RE: A Puppet for Annie's Sandy

Posted 02-02-2016 15:55

I just closed Wizard of Oz this past weekend at The Carnegie in Covington, Kentucky. We had Toto be a puppet and he was operated by an 11 year old girl! It was very cute and the audience loved it! We actually were able to find a dog push toy and added an extendable rod, like the kind you would find on an old tv or radio, that could be pushed in and down so it wouldn't poke Dorothy when she put it in her basket or picked him up. Our toto was a little small but he had to fit into several baskets, he was visible from stage but if I had to go back and do it again I'd make sure we got a slightly bigger dog. 

I've attached pics! 

Clare Jaymes
    Executive Assistant to the Executive Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: A Puppet for Annie's Sandy

Posted 02-03-2016 12:26

Hi!  Feel free to connect with me off the forum at arettabaumgartner@puppet.org--I'm happy to share some resources and information about puppet possibilities!

-Aretta

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta GA