Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-24-2017 11:59
    I'm in need of play suggestions.  I feel I have gone through various scripting company and read various synopsis, but I feel like I am missing on some and would like suggestions if you have them.  Here are my requirements:

There are two different ways I want to go:
    -I want a play that deals with family.  Nothing too serious, but a lighthearted or straight comedy.  A nearby school did "You Can't Take It With You," so that is out for now.  
    or
    -I want a play within a play.  I cannot do "Noises Off" because of the set requirements.

Needs:
    -Simple set.  I do not have the space to create a large elaborate set, so something that is simple and easy.  I can give the suggestion of stairs, but I cannot actually two two stories to act on.
    -FEMALES.  The plays need to be female heavy.  All of my males are leaving this year.  This leaves me only two males, and neither are strong enough to carry a lead role.  

So, what's out there that I might have missed?  THANK YOU for your help!

------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 2.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-24-2017 12:51
    Moon Over Buffalo.

Jan Romans
    Theatre Director
    South Lyon High School
    South Lyon MI

• 3.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-24-2017 13:28
    Maybe "The Last Night of Ballyhoo." Has three male roles but a lot more for the girls to do.

For a dramatic play-within-the-play, look at "Here and Now" by David Rogers. You definitely need more than two guys, but the publisher/writer could possibly be approached about a workaround if you don't have enough males come to tryouts. It's a solid 'issues' play with a strong ensemble feel.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-25-2017 06:57
    Try Play On! It's similar to Noises Off and does need a set, but it doesn't have to revolve.  You start with a set that is incomplete (and you can determine exactly how incomplete) and then it is "done" for the end of the show.   When we did this, we started with an open curtain, and some alumni sought out our tech director before the show and asked in hushed, horrified whispers "Mr. B, do you need help finishing the set before the show starts?!"

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-25-2017 08:31
    Laughing Stock has similar aspects to Noises Off with a bigger cast.

Mary Midiri-Davis
    Illiopolis IL

• 6.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-25-2017 15:46
    I agree with "Play On!" (by Rick Abbot) -- not only is it funny, but there's also flexibility with the men/women breakdown of the cast. However, you'd need more than two males, and although the cast is very ensemble-esque, it's demanding for all of the actors, especially those who play actors in the play within the play.

In terms of the family play, you might take a look at "Dear Octopus" by Dodie Smith. 5m 12f. Or possibly "Picnic"?

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 7.  RE: In need of play suggestions....

Posted 04-25-2017 14:07
    Agree w/ Moon over Buffalo. Also, Ludwig's Lend Me A Tenor (world of Opera) is very funny. 
    Stepping Out by Richard Harris about a tap class made up of misfits...simple setting and mostly female cast.

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI