Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drowsy Chaperone Show Off Dress

Posted 05-03-2017 07:52
    Hello!  We are doing The Drowsy Chaperone and I am in search of the Show Off costume that has to change 3 times in the number.  Does anyone have one that I could borrow or give me an idea how you did it so that I can make one?  We open next week, so if I have to build one, I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Vicki Kirkley
    Director of Theatre
    McKinney Boyd High School
    McKinney, Texas

• 2.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Show Off Dress

Posted 05-08-2017 10:57
    We did something like this a few years back:  start with a good/pretty/sturdy dress that will stay on and add layers or pieces that can be un-velcro-ed or untied and thrown off.  Or start with a dress more like a robe that can be a layer or simple removal

My rule of thumb for onstage and important - but short lived costumes "the shorter the time on stage the shorter the time and resources to make/rent it".

(the most important thing is what you DONT want - Janet Jackson...Superbowl...moment yikes :()

what a fun show!!!!!  Have a blast!!!!  and sell it, baby!!!!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 3.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Show Off Dress

Posted 05-09-2017 00:07
    Hi, Vicki! I hope my response isn't too late. I played Janet a while ago. I started off in a long silk robe and sun hat lounging by the pool. I threw the hat off when I first started singing and then two pool boys helped take the robe off. It was very regal in a way. I had a sleeveless top on underneath that velcroed in the back. My skirt was a bunch of fabric pedals on one long fabric string. The choreography had me twirl across stage and someone grabbed by skirt so it would unravel. A huge pool umbrella was held in front of me and the top was taken off by two ensemble members. I had a leotard with a little skirt as my base layer for the rest of the number. Let me know if you have any questions. Break a leg!

Taylor Horne
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL