Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-07-2017 19:51

Hiya Theatre friends!  I'm about to embark on Into the Woods, Jr.  MTI lists the show at 21 roles + ensemble.  I'm struggling to find ensemble in the script.  Do any of you have ideas about how to accomplish ensemble in this script? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Mark Middlebrooks
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-08-2017 07:56
    Hello,

We did the show about seven years ago, and in looking at the cast list and script from then, there really isn't an ensemble unless changes have been made since then.  There are a couple of scenes that call for "The Company," but I am not sure there is really an ensemble to Into the Woods.  Good luck with your show.

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 3.  RE: Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-08-2017 10:45
    I believe some folks have added more voices to the Company" section - similar to a chorus.

You may want to check with MTI and see what suggestions or options they have allowed for others??

break a leg!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 4.  RE: Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-08-2017 13:19
    I found ways to incorporate ensemble by using them to create Cinderella's Stepmother's tree, the horses for the carriage, even "grandma's house" and as general "Forest spirits". They also helped camouflage the Witchs' transformation at the end with choreographed movement and fog!!

They wore a basic green unitard with leaves and branch looking accessories and sparkly tutus.
    It worked well and gave the extra kids in the cast who were not cast as a role to play a part they could make their own!
    Had so much fun with this one! Great luck to you!

Heather Davidson
    Drama Teacher
    Augusta GA

• 5.  RE: Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-08-2017 16:49
    Although I don't remember the script specifically mentioning extra characters that you can add, if you watch the Tony Awards performance of the revival in 2002, they add the three little pigs, so perhaps you can add other characters like that. The opening and closing songs in the performance would be a great place for these extra characters to sing. 

Kathy Hobbs
    Chisholm Trail MS
    Round Rock, TX

• 6.  RE: Into The Woods Ensemble

Posted 05-09-2017 19:11
    I created a group of trees, dancers in tree costumes, who provided chorus dancing. Each tree was also "attached" to one of the characters and appeared in their scenes as an empathetic chorus, physically representing the emotions of the character in the scene. One of mymost successful and favorite production ideas.

Susan Davis
    Teacher
    Napa Valley Unified School District
    Napa CA