Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Intermission

Posted 09-18-2019 13:58
    Where do you all put an intermission in a 3 Act play? We are doing The Man Who Came to Dinner this December, and I'm having a hard time deciding where/when to put our intermission. The most logical spot seems to be after Act 2, but that is 73 pages into the 93 page script, which seems a bit long (or is it?). Having intermission after Act 1 seems too early, and having 2 intermissions seems excessive. Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 2.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-18-2019 15:49
    How long does each act actually run and what is the run time of the entire show? I'd look at those and base it off of that rather than the page or act number. In terms of having 2 intermissions... you could have 2 10-minutes ones instead of a 15 of 20 minute option. Just a thought.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 02:15
    With The Importance of Being Earnest, we needed both intermissions for the set change.  It was a little odd, but we did two 10 minute intermissions instead of one 15.  The second intermission was the one that people were kind of "uhhh?" about, but it worked.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 12:14
    Hello. I am having the same issue with You Can't Take it With You (same playwrights). I am going with after the first act.

--
    Heather DeLude
    English/ Theater Arts 
    Wilton High School

***Wilton Public Schools will be transitioning email over the next several months. Please update my email in your contact list to deludeh@wiltonps.org. Our current email system will be unavailable after July 1st.

• 5.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 04:32
    We do two intermissions and give the audience the good old fashion three act experience.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 07:42
    Do two.  Announce it in the curtain speech at the top of the show, put it in the program and have the ushers mention it as people enter the theatre.  If you're doing concessions, it's a great way to make a little extra money with a 2nd opportunity to sell snacks and merchandise.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 7.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 09:00
    I have always used the rule less time after intermission is better for the audience. There's nothing worse than sitting through an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes of a show and then coming back after intermission and there's another hour and a half. The funny thing is, with these blockbuster movies (I'm looking at you Marvel) that go for 3 hours with no break, I'm always amazed that people complain when act one goes an hour and a half before they get a potty break.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 8.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 09:09
    I agree with some here that it depends on the play and its running time.

When I directed Arsenic and Old Lace, we had two intermissions.  The play is long enough that it needs two breaks for the audience to stretch its legs.  (Last year I saw a community-theatre production of Arsenic that only had an intermission after Act II, and the resulting "Act I" was sooooo long that I got very restless well before the intermission, while the remaining "Act II" - originally Act III - seemed bizarrely short by comparison, which threw the play's proportions out of balance.)

Before I directed Inherit the Wind, I only knew the play from its reading edition, which indicates a three-act division.  I thought that the play was short enough to play in two acts, with the intermission placed between the two scenes of what was originally Act II.  When I licensed the play and received my acting editions, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the authors had already made that change.

When I directed Stage Door, I thought that the show would run way too long for our audience if played in its original three acts.  Besides, both of the original act-curtains are rather weak, while there is a terrifically suspenseful, dramatic break at the end of Act II, Scene 1, so that is where I placed my single intermission for that show.

But here's a question I hadn't thought of before.  Is the act division of a copyrighted play as published in its acting edition protected by the copyright?  That is, do producers need permission to change the placement of intermission breaks, as they would to change language, delete material, etc.?  I added an intermission when I directed Driving Miss Daisy, which is written to be played in one long act (though divided into about two dozen brief scenes); should I have cleared that with the publisher before doing so?  Some published full-length one-act plays do have indications from their authors saying something like, "If an intermission is desired, it should be placed after Scene 5," which would indicate that authors do care about such things.  Hmm ...

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 9.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 09:35

I did two intermissions when we did the Boyfriend.  Audiences seemed to appreciate it.  But if you just want one find the most logical break in the through line to take a pause.  Maybe you can break up the second act before Christmas Eve.  Then do Christmas Eve and Christmas morning after the break. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 10.  RE: Intermission

Posted 09-19-2019 10:22
    If you do two intermissions (more concession sales - yea!) could you do something extra, such as having some students perform period songs during the second one (or both)? Or a raffle or quick trivia game? Something  for those who don't need to go to the bathroom.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance