Open Forum

View Only

Foam Set Pieces Help

• 1.  Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 08:31
    I'm venturing into foam sheets for set pieces for the first time and have a couple of questions for those that have worked with it more. 

I am not needing to glue/layer sheets on top of each other, but will be laying sheets out next to each other.  I will be securing them to existing wall units for backing and support.  

- What's the best product/method to fill the seams in-between the sheets?

- What's the best product to adhere the edges of sheets together to make a solid, continuous sheet when needed?  I've heard people use spray foam but also the 3M Super 77 Contact Adhesive.

- Before painting, do you seal the sheets?  I'm using the purple board from Home Depot that seems to have a pretty solid surface already.  If you use a sealer what is the easiest/best? 

Thank you for helping out a foam-noob.

------------------------------
    Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 2.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 08:58

Hi Brett, 

I've been using foam for quite some time.  As a matter of fact I usually do a workshop on different types of foam and how you can use them at our state conference. 

Here's my disclaimer:  You'll find a ton of different opinions.  I'm posting what I've found works for me.  I'm not saying I'm an expert.  Just experienced through a lot of trial and error.  

First of all, for attaching it to a sheet of luann or another sheet of foam, I've found "Bonding Primer" from Home Depot works the best.  It's a little pricey but since it's a paint you can just cover the entire surface and place them together.  You should put pressure on them for a few hours until the paint dried but you will not be able to take them apart after that.  If you're looking for something a little less drastic I sometimes use Quick Grab construction adhesive.  Works well for me.  

We paint right over the surface.  I mostly use foam for texture like brick walls or stone.  Or anything that has depth to it like giant scallop shells.  So I've never really had to much of an issue with the seams once they're painted.  If they're too noticeable I would just use a little paintable caulk and smooth it flat.  

Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll hopefully be able to help.  

Good Luck!

Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 3.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 09:34
    For fastening foam sheets together and for adhering them to surfaces, I have had success with Liquid Nails. When joining pieces together, smoothing the excess with a putty knife makes a smooth seam. (You need to use enough that you have some excess to smooth.)

No need to pretreat before you paint, but keep touch-up paint handy. Any unintended bump against the foam can damage the paint job, if not the foam itself.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 10:46
    Hey gang,
    I'm just curious how you manage to bypass the fire codes when you're using foam. Our local fire marshal hates the theatre and if he even smells foam he'll threaten to shut down the show... Once even threatened to shut down the school.

We love to use foam sheets because of their versatility, however I'm not able to find any exceptions to the fire codes for temporary stage sets.

How do y'all handle that? 

Aaron Miller
    Director Troupe #1523

• 5.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 10:52

Aaron, Rosco Foam Coat is flame retardant. It is not cheap, but it should make your AHJ Happy.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 6.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-08-2018 10:49

I have had great success with Foam-Lok adhesive for any bonding of foam I have needed. I am a big fan of Jaxsan as a coating for scenic pieces with foam. It is originally a roofing material, and comes in a few different consistencies. It leaves a more protective coat on the surface that is really helpful, and also fills in seams well. Rosco FelxBond and 3M 78 spray adhesive are also good products. 

Things to look out for: Many adhesives will dissolve the foam or create a chemical reaction that is toxic, so really read up on what you are intending to use (look for MSDS Sheets). Many foam products are not suitable for student use. And, I always apply some weight to the top of the wood or foam layers while the adhesive dries. This helps ensure a better bond across the length of the surface. Some light stage weights or sandbags usually do the trick. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 7.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-09-2018 08:56
    Thank you everyone for your great insights.  I ordered a huge amount of foam sheeting yesterday.  The adventure begins on Monday.  Hopefully the learning curve isn't steep and all goes well.  Your thoughts and experience will help immensely.

Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 8.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-09-2018 10:09
    I agree with Mr. Yarmey as to glue up. With seams, I usually just use light weight spackle. Pre-paint, I usually coat with glue size (1:3 glue to water). But under NO  CIRCUMSTANCES do I use Super 77. It uses acetone or like chemical as its medium and it literally digests the foam.

"Don't forget to have fun."
    JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 9.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-09-2018 11:14
    This is good to know on Super 77... I went to a workshop and the guy said that was his go to... interesting that you've had the opposite experience.  

In my case I'm not stacking pieces but rather adhering them on edge.  I went with a Locktite product made for foam board.  I'll run a bead on the edges so when joined, it should push out excess that I can smooth the fill the small seam.  We shall see how it goes.

Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 10.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-09-2018 14:01
    We discovered foam sheets a couple of years ago, and ended up using 55 of them for bricks in HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, and then this past year castle rocks for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.  I assume the fire marshal was up in arms over the odor that is produced when the stuff is heated rather than actually catching fire.  Novices that we were (the director and I) we started heating the sheets with DeWalt and Wagner heat guns - the same type that plumbers use for soldering.  I got light-headed in a hurry, and the director almost immediately developed a headache.  So we donned respirators (the type approved for toxic chemicals, not the cloth type) and that solved that problem.  We worked in doors only when no students were present - such as weekends and school holidays, and out doors when they were (still wearing respirators).  It's great stuff, but we wouldn't let students anywhere near when we scored the surfaces and burned in the mortar lines.  

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 11.  RE: Foam Set Pieces Help

Posted 10-09-2018 16:32
    I've been using or specifying sheet foam (mostly white expanded polystyrene, or EPS) for many years in my set designs and have found that carving the foam with a knife works just as well if not better than with heat, and cuts way down on any noxious fumes.

A serrated carving knife is good, as is a utility knife, and even an X-Acto knife works for fine details. Actually, many kitchen cutting gadgets, like a curved grapefruit knife, work on the foam. Wood rasps and wire brushes are good for texturing, and sandpaper in various grits is handy.

Cutting the stuff does create dust, so an appropriate mask and eye protection still want to be used.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20