Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summer Camp Directors Manual

Posted 02-06-2017 15:06
    Hey Folks! 

I am the Education Director for a Non-Profit Theater in Reno, NV, and I am currently developing our spring and summer theater camp curriculum. We have our staff chosen, (some really excellent local teaching artists...), and I am trying to create a comprehensive training manual that not only provides staff policies, but also USEFUL tips on how to give young actors notes, how to rehearse with young performers, creating a positive camp environment and culture, and positive behavior management, so that they can have some ideas right there in black and white. 

Links to articles, personal observations, ANYTHING is welcome as I sift through and create a packet that will be useful in helping my staff go deeper and get more out of our young performers. 

THANK YOU! 

------------------------------
    Sara Phillips
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Summer Camp Directors Manual

Posted 02-07-2017 12:17
    Just some quick thoughts (some I'm sure you know):

Always begin notes with positive aspects. I try and avoid saying what was "good" - more what worked because it was clear, they made progress, I could see what they are working on, etc.

Avoid saying what was "bad" or "I didn't like..." I try and use words like, "I think you can now work on..." "Go further with..." and "try to strengthen this..." I am looking for clarity (objectives, tactics, relationships, etc.), active choices, high stakes, etc.

Notes are never personal. They are to help students grow, think more deeply, and progress as an artist. I often tell them, "What kind of teacher would I be if I had no notes for you? If you were already perfect, you wouldn't need classes or teachers."

I am often toughest on older students I've taught for years. We have already built a trust and language. For younger students (or those unfamiliar to me) I am more selective with my words. I am sometimes passionate and I don't want to scare anyone away.

I usually gather the entire group so there is focus during warm-ups. No cell phones, electronic devices, etc. Warm-ups prepare them to perform. I look for strong presence during warm-ups so they will have strong presence on stage.

Focus off stage means there will be focus on stage. A lack of focus off stage means there will be a lack of focus on stage.

Theatre is an art form and takes discipline. Everyone is working toward the same goal - the strongest production we can give an audience. This is a gift and we want to give the best gift we can. That means we need to support each other. Talking off stage is distracting and not supportive. Missing an entrance means a lack of focus on the production. Always put the needs of the show above your own needs. That is teamwork.