Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-26-2018 11:21
    Quick question....Do you allow marching band to count towards points for induction into Thespian Society?

------------------------------
    Lindsay McAloney
    Troupe Director
    Sussex NJ

• 2.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-26-2018 11:58
    I wouldn't. I only allow points for things that are directly theater related. Chorus at my high school does a big performance every year that involves multiple show tunes and dancing, but only the stage crew gets points. I do this in part so students have to be involved in the theater productions to qualify.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-27-2018 08:17
    This post made me wonder, do forensic/speech events count for thespian points?

--
    Justin Indovina
    Theatre Department Chair
    The Berkeley Carroll School

• 4.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-28-2018 12:19
    Marching band and color guard - no.

Forensics/Speech/Dramatic Interp - yes, but mostly because those students are also given credit in speech for doing plays. It's a two-way street. The points for speech are minimal. I think it's 1 per event day.

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 5.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-27-2018 08:27
    Not in our program.

Greg Franklin
    Denver NC

• 6.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-27-2018 11:08
    I assist our band with the color guard and my answer would be no.  Having said that, I did see a show at competition where they did have some performers who were not guard, not dancers per se, and not instrumentalist who primarily played a character. It is something that the band director and I have discussed as a possibility for the future as a cross curricular idea to recruit some drama students to portray a character depending on the theme of the show.  (Our show band is entirely extracurricular and volunteer basis.)  In those instances, I might consider it if they are not getting "credit" through the marching band because they are playing a role.

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 7.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-28-2018 13:05
    I am also the speech coach, so I count speech events.  :-)  The Iowa High School Speech Association holds individual events (solo musical theatre, interp, acting and events like original oratory and expository) and large group events (one act, mime, readers' theatre, group musical theatre and more).  I award a point for each event (students can enter one or two IE's and one or two LG events).
    Marching band, choir, mock trial, etc. - no.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 8.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-28-2018 13:49
    Good answers from the field. Marching band, choir, etc. wouldn't count toward Thespian induction. Speech and debate, especially when there's a reciprocal agreement, may count, at the discretion of the Troupe Director. The point system recommends awarding points outside the theatre program at 1/2 of the value of points earned directly from participation in the theatre program.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 9.  RE: Marching Band for points?

Posted 11-29-2018 09:50
    I never counted Band or Color Guard, but I did count Winter Guard, which involves dance and interpretation.  My school also had a strong dance program, so I gave those who performed in the spring performance a point.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA