Open Forum

View Only

shows/musical numbers for actors of color

• 1.  shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-27-2017 08:40
    Hello all! I'm a first year troupe sponsor and I'm looking for monologues and musical numbers for students of color, specifically young women of color. I teach at a primarily Black and Hispanic high school and am struggling to find musical numbers that showcase my students' voices. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Vanessa Platas
    Riviera Beach FL

• 2.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-27-2017 11:10
    If you've got the voices for it I'd choose something from Porgy and Bess... and there is great scene work in it as well :^). 

There are some books that have scenes and monologues specifically for actors of color. Here is the link to the amazon option for one of them (but you should be able to find it on another website if your district doesn't let you use Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Voices-Scenes-Monologues-Paperback-Applause/dp/1557831742

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-27-2017 14:35
    I can only think of a couple off of the top of my head.

Fences
    In the Heights
    Suburbia (LOTS of language, so be careful. But very powerful)

Sorry. ):

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 19:17
    Here are some more to check out.

Hairspray (2002: music by Marc Shaiman, lyrics by Scott Wittman & Shaiman, book by Mark O'Donnell & Thomas Meehan; based on the 1988 John Waters film.)

Ragtime (1998: music by Stephen Flaherty, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, book by Terrence McNally. Based on the E.L. Doctorow novel.)

Sarafina! (1988: music/lyrics/book by Mbongeni Ngema. A South African musical based on the students involved in the Soweto Riots, in opposition to apartheid.)

Dreamgirls (1981: music by Henry Krieger, lyrics/ book by Tom Eyen. Based in part on the musical group the Supremes and Motown music.)

Cotton Patch Gospel (1981 off-Broadway: music/lyrics Harry Chapin, book by Tom Key & Russell Treyz. Based on Clarence Jordan's The Cotton Patch Version of Matthew and John)

Raisin, (1973: music by Judd Woldin, lyrics by Robert Brittan, book by Robert B. Nemiroff & Charlotte Zaltzberg. Based on Lorraine Hansberry's play A Raisin in the Sun.)

Your Arms Too Short to Box with God: A Soaring Celebration in Song and Dance (1976: music and lyrics by Alex Bradford and a book by Vinnette Carroll. Based on the Biblical Book of Matthew.)

Lost in the Stars (1949: music by Kurt Weill, lyrics/book by Maxwell Anderson, based on Alan Paton's 1948 novel Cry, the Beloved Country about apartheid in South Africa.)

St Louis Women (1946: music by Harold Arlen, lyrics by Johnny Mercer, book by Arna Bontemps & Countee Cullen. A not-so-great show with great music, especially the bluesy 'Come Rain of Come Shine.')

Carmen Jones (1943: music by George Bizet, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein, Based on Bizet's opera.)

Cabin in the Sky (1940: music by Vernon Duke, lyrics by John Latouche, book by Lynn Root. Described as a "parable of Southern Negro Life with echoes of Ferenc Molnár's Liliom [which would be turned into the musical Carousel] and Marc Connelly's The Green Pastures.)

Shuffle Along (1921: music/lyrics by Noble Sissle & Eubie Blake, and a thin revue-style connecting plot written by Flournoy Miller & Aubrey Lyles. Basis for the 2016 Broadway musical Shuffle Along or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed.)

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 5.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 05:22
    Try Ain't Misbehaving for musicals, and for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow isn't enough for monologues. I will keep thinking and send more, but those are the first two classics that come to mind. Oh, really strong singers might try Porgy and Bess. I loved the Broadway show a few years ago. Also, never forget you can do color blind casting. Why can't any girl play Adelaide, for instance, for a good comic song?
    Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 07:49
    We're doing Bring It On and it has an incredibly diverse cast! We have love having traditional, jazz, rap, and hip hop on the stage! Check out It's All Happening- that's my kids favorite number in the show! If you're looking for a small number, We Ain't No Cheerleaders is cute too!! 

When we did High School Musical 1 & 2 we had very diverse casts! And obviously when we did Hairspray! I'm sure you've thought of that one! Lol!

Brooke Jackson

• 7.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 09:05
    Once on This Island would be perfect:)

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director
    Varsity Football & Wrestling Head Cheer Coach 
    Spirit Club Sponsor
    Office Phone: 636.586.1050 Ext. 26
    Twitter: @DHSTheatreDept, @DHS_Cheer_, & @DHSDSquad
    De Soto High School.815 Amvets Drive. De Soto, MO 63020

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 8.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 09:57
    Don't think of them as "people of color"  just think of them as people.  What voice types do you have and what musicals work with those voices.  Cast the play with the right kid for the role and don't worry about what "color" they are.  Do a great standard musical and the kids will rise to occasion.  Unless you are doing a musical about race and color such, The Color Purple or Showboat, or Big River or West Side Story or Miss Saigon, don't worry about the nonsense that race and color implies and do something that people would just enjoy doing.  If you have a bunch of girls do Annie or Bye-Bye Birdie, Stop the World I want to Get Off.  If you have a bunch of boys do the three Musketeers or Big Fish, or Kiss Me Kate. Stop worrying about the wrong issue.  The hardest issue is find a musical the kids will like and that meets your principal's approval.

Break a Leg and may all you theatre seats be filled
    Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 9.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 10:23
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate the help! The issue isn't about seeing race or trying colorblind casting. It's about my students wanting to showcase their soulful voices by playing parts that are written for women of color. This was a direct request from my girls.  I have several budding womanists in my troupe and we are searching for shows that represent them culturally. This is not for our school production, but for IEs and a showcase. Most of my students' only performance experience comes from singing in their church choirs to the deep and soulful rhythm of African American gospel music. Because next year will be our first year competing, my kids would like to choose music they are familiar with and comfortable singing. Fret not, my friends, they are receiving weekly musical theater challenges to broaden their horizons. Again, thank you all for your help.

Vanessa Platas
    Riviera Beach FL

• 10.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-28-2017 12:38
    A, my name is Alice and The Wiz. Both good choices.

Katherine Gosnell
    Outreach Programs Manager
    Oregon Shakespeare Festival
    Ashland OR

• 11.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-29-2017 14:58
    I didn't see Dreamgirls mentioned yet.  That has some powerhouse vocals written for women of color!

Good Luck!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh Brashear High School
    Photography/Theatre
    Pittsburgh Pa

• 12.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 04-30-2017 20:52
    I first must breathe a deep sigh because I have my own feelings in this topic. I read your original post and many of the suggestions. While I feel they are all well meaning, I can't help but cringe at many of them. Some because I wonder how appropriate they would be to your students, and others because I don't feel they are appropriate to any high school students.
    As a Thespian Alum of color in a predominantly white Troupe, I know that Troupe directors have a difficult time finding material for students of color. So my suggestion is that you do what my teacher did. Make them do their research. You doing the work for them does not allow them to expand their Theatre  knowledge base. This is an information age and they don't have to spend the money and time I did in bookstores to find material that resonates with them. Empower them to create a catalogue of material for future students of color. Years after I graduated, my teacher used me as a resource for finding material for her students. 
    Finally, there is a children's book called Black is Brown is Tan. That book explores the diversity that exists even within Black communities. I caution against imposing material on students of color based on their being of color and not based on knowledge of the students as individuals. I could give you a laundry list of plays and musicals that feature people of color, but there's more to a character and a performer than them simply being of color. If you wish to tell me more of what you're looking for, I can give you suggestions for individual or groups of students. Keep the faith and good luck.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 13.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 05-01-2017 09:54
    I absolutely agree that DREAMGIRLS will provide a ton of great material. But you could also check out THE LIFE, which has several powerful and passionate songs (Lillias White is amazing on the original cast recording), and HAIR, which represents an earlier era in rock and R&B.

And I wholeheartedly support the teacher who suggested that your students do their own research! Good luck.

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 14.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 05-01-2017 10:39

Well then try Ragtime, Caroline or Change, The Color Purple, Tommy, Dreamgirls, Ain't Misbehavin, The Wiz, Black Nativity,  Porgy and Bess, Passing Strange, It ain't nothing but the blues, Sarafina, Cabin in the Sky,  Once on this Island, Timbuktui, Big River, The Amen Corner, Hallelujah Baby!, Purlie, Fame,  The Lion King, Memphis, Sister Act, Hamilton,  The Book of Norman, Bad Girls. 

These are all in the vein of which you speak. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

​​​​​

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 15.  RE: shows/musical numbers for actors of color

Posted 05-01-2017 10:23
    Good for you for responding to what your kids are asking for!

Have them take a look at Hamilton (I know it will get over done quickly but for good reason). Also Passing Strange has great music for men and women, and it covers many genres. It'd be great to use for duets or group singing. They may also want to take a peek at Aida. And In the Heights, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Monologues: Ruined, for colored girls, Marisol, Topdog/Underdog, In the Blood, The Last days of Judas Iscariot. I've pulled some great monologues from all of those places.

RaMina Mirmortazavi
    Deer Park High School