Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fundraising for a small school

Posted 10-26-2015 10:17
    Hello all! I'm a new Thespian Director and I'm looking for some new creative ways to make money for our drama department. Our school doesn't give us a great budget to work with and unfortunately we didn't make much on our production last year due to snow days and having to cancel shows. This money would go towards numerous things, producing our spring play, induction fees, and sending students to Thescon. I want to do something that's different and not the everyday selling wrapping paper or cookie dough. We have so many clubs that sell different products and I think people get burned out on buying different items from clubs. We are going to be hosting an improv show later in the year but I don't expect it to bring in a ton of money and would like to supplement that with something else. What has worked for you in the past? Thanks in advance for your help!

Jordanne   

• 2.  RE: Fundraising for a small school

Posted 10-26-2015 18:09

Jordanne,

I'm at a small school, 366 high school kids. I totally feel your situation. I'm doing something totally new this year.

So many groups sell food, wrapping paper, etc. This year, I'm doing sock hats / beanie hats with scarf option. We're selling them in November for delivery in December (Christmas gifts). No one in our school sells these, and I had the student body decide which ones they would most be interested in buying. I had kids bringing me cash the next day ready to buy the sample hat / beanie. I teamed up with a local screen printer, so she's cutting me a deal on them, which makes me a great profit. And, for each kid who sells 10 beanies, they get one for free.

I find in a small school, things that have a long life and aren't food do really well.

Good luck!

Best,

Jared

------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN

• 3.  RE: Fundraising for a small school

Posted 10-27-2015 10:31

Hello,

I have had much success with princess and pirate parties. We host a tea type setting. The costumes come from our theatre stock. The students wrote a script and the parents made the snacks.

I went to a party that had different stations: One with coloring, one with a craft, one for photos with the princesses, one with stickers and rings and crowns to decorate. 

After all the stations, the kids were given treats then they had a story time and a short dance. 

It takes some planning, but the kids came out in droves and it paid enough to do our musical.

Susan

------------------------------
    Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 4.  RE: Fundraising for a small school

Posted 10-28-2015 11:15

Our most successful fundraiser is our dinner theater. When we started this I talked to several area restaurants and each one provided a course for our meal. Olive Garden, salad, Texas Roadhouse  green beans, etc. They have been so successful that we now have restaurants who jump at the opportunity to provide the entire dinner. We only sell two hundred tickets, which creates a sense of urgency. We make it a huge affair and decorate the table to go along with our show.

If you want more details email me at ldparks@k12.wv.us

Douglas Parks
    Junior Thespian Director Troupe 88963
    #BlennyTheater
    Instagram: BLENNYTHEATER
    Twitter: @Blenny Theater
    Blennerhassett Middle School
    "Classrooms change when students start to believe their thinking matters."