Open Forum

View Only

Shrek: Pinocchio nose

• 1.  Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 01-15-2015 18:02
    I am preparing for Shrek the Musical.  Does anyone have ideas or prior experience with a great way to approach Pinocchio's nose and how to make it grow?

------------------------------
    Kami Landkamer
    Scottsdale AZ

• 2.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 01-16-2015 08:58

It took about 4 months of engineering, but we got it and it worked beautifully. P's nose was attached via a very thin cable that went up, around the actor's ear and down his back, under his shirt and to the leaderhosen (sp) he was wearing. It ended in a small control box mounted with a button on the side of the pants. P just pulled the lever and the nose telescoped out. It was very cool. I have the pants/nose (and other Shrek stuff) for rent if you are interested. (Duloc wigs, large Farquaad head, Dragon head for four girls), etc. If you need pics, I'll have to pull this stuff out and take some. Most is in storage since we are under renovation.

Ron Wells

Lawton C Johnson Summit Middle School

Summit, New Jersey

• 3.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 01-18-2015 21:48
    Oh wonderful insight!  OK, yes, pictures, descriptions, rental possibilities, any additional advice!  I'm struggling with decisions on how to conquer the nose and the dragon design.  I'm open to temptation for rentals, but I am hoping maybe some guiding words will help me give ideas to my tech class for construction so that they gain ownership of the building process.  This is an uncommon tech year for me.  I had a gaggle of strong techies graduate last year and I now have 3 strong veteran techies and 32 young design babies to teach.  Hence, advice of any kind is immensely appreciated!  If you have any guiding light words, descriptions, photos etc.  I would be humble if you could email them to me at klandkamer@pvlearners.net  Thank you so much!

Kami Landkamer
    Scottsdale AZ

• 4.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 02-04-2015 17:24

Hi Ron,

I would also be interested in getting more information and pictures on your rentals, if they are still available. We are doing Shrek, Jr. in April.

Thanks in advance!

Tracie Faupel

• 5.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 02-05-2015 08:36

Sure thing,

What do you need? The only reason I ask is because it is all packed away as we are under major renovation. If I know what you need, it might be easier for me to pull just that stuff, photograph it, and then pack and ship it to you (I am in New Jersey, by the way).

I have Gingy (two of them, one whole and one "tortured") Both on cookie sheets that can be held by the guards. His mouth moves via a hand through the back.

Pinoccio's nose which is controlled by a control box mounted in his pants (lederhosen)

A dragon which mounts on the head of one lead actress. You can then surround her with three others (or more) for the wings and tail (which was fabric in our show- you'll need to create your own). It has a movable mouth, but not eyes.

20 or so yellow rubber wigs for the Dulocians and knee pads (yellow)

A giant head of Farquaad with crown, which covers your actor from head to knees. It is foam, made like characters you might see at Disneyland

A matching crown for Farquaad to wear (similar to the film) so he matches the giant head.

An inflatable deer with detachable antlers

I have the exploding bird which was broken on closing night. I am happy to repair/rebuild it if you need it. It is a head with moving mouth which we placed on a balloon inflated and filled with confetti. We taped on a couple of feathers for wings. It was operated from behind a tree, and on cue, we popped the balloon. It worked great!

And some other random things. Most are in storage and difficult to get to but I am happy to grab what I can if you think you can use it. This is what I know I have and think I can get at, but may take some time to find. We will rent it to you very cheaply if you think you can use it. 
    Ron

Ron Wells

• 6.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 02-06-2015 15:17

Hi Ron,

Thanks for getting back with me! I would love to see the rubber wigs. We are doing Shrek, Jr. which is a little different from regular Shrek so most of the other things you listed we would not be using. Do you by any chance have the costumes for Fiona, Shrek, Donkey, and Lord Farquaad? Any of the fairy tale creatures? Those are what we are mainly looking for.

Thanks again!

Tracie

Tracie Faupel

• 7.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 10-02-2015 05:08

Hello Ron,

I am involved with a school/community theater with the Air Force located in Italy.  We are doing shrek this Fall (November 12-21) and I would love to rent costumes from you if available.  I know you are renovating and that they are hard to get to, but I want you to know your efforts will be greatly appreciated by the men, women and families of our Armed Forces.  I saw what you have and would specifically like anything to do with Farquad, the Pinoccio nose, The Duloc head pieces and knee pads, and the deer and antlers.  Please email me back and let me know price and if this is available.  

Don't worry about shipping.  It is an APO, so it will be like shipping to New York, it just takes a little bit longer to get here. LOL

Thank you so much!

Chandra Hoyt

• 8.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-15-2015 23:18
    HI ron I stumbled across this message board while searching out Shrek Pinocchio growing nose. I see you may have one for rent. Our HS is doing the musical March 25 -28 and now I am in desperate need of finding a nose for my daughter. (obviously quickly now)  Our director thought we may have 1 but that fell through. I don't believe I can figure out how to make one in 1 week (or less for practice now) I also saw that you guys were under construction so I'm not sure if that will even be a possibility but thought I'd take a chance at asking. Please let me know as soon as you can and what the cost would be to rent. We are a very small catholic school without a booster or parent group to assist much. Thanks bunches in advance  karlene reaser

karlene reaser 440-221-3466 cell #

• 9.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 12-05-2015 15:57

Ron - What do you still have? Pinocchio nose? Dragon? costumes?  Local HS has a production of SHREK coming up in early spring 2016. Would welcome knowing what you might still have available for rent or to buy. Thanks so much!

Lynn Szigeti

• 10.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-08-2022 09:13
    HI, I am writing on behalf of our Director, for Broadway Kids and Company: School for the Performing Arts here in Southeastern, CT. We are putting on a production of Shrek in late May. Am looking for costume rentals for Shrek, Dragon, Pinocchio's nose, remote controlled rats etc....Our show would be over a weekend, probably three to four performances. If you could send me pictures, rates etc. I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Sincerely,
    Deb Flaherty

Deborah Flaherty

• 11.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 01-16-2015 09:28

Creating the Pinocchio nose was quite the project.  I actually have a number of prototypes sitting on my desk for me to photograph and write a blog post.  We were attempting a method with cable wire and plastic tubing but ran out of time to perfect that so we used a magnet.

We attached a plastic kids telescope to a prosthetic nose.  I hot glued a magnet to the tip of the telescope and spray painted the piece to a base skin color.  I used the Woochie Elf nose, cut a hole in the tip and pushed the telescope through.  A student created a ring that another magnet attached to it.  Pinocchio used her hand to draw the telescope out while acting like she was trying to hold it in from growing.  I think it worked really well.  She wasn't lost behind a mask so her facial expressions were still a useful acting tool.  The trick with the telescope was putting enough coats of spray paint on it to make it have just the right amount of friction.  It needed to stay out with dancing and talking but not get stuck when we needed it to extend.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.  We had a great time doing Shrek!

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 12.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-17-2015 02:07
    We did Shrek last year and I still have lots of costumes that I am willing to rent/sell. Pics are on Pinterest...LHS Playmakers, see the Shrek Board. Dixonh@luhsd.net ------------------------------ Helen Dixon Oakley CA ------------------------------

• 13.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-17-2015 07:16
    Helen Do you happen to have a nose? ------------------------------ karlene reaser ------------------------------

• 14.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-19-2015 16:47
    As per my email, unfortunately, we don't.  However, as I was re-reading this thread, it dawned on me that a local "high end" community theatre did a production in which Pinocchio's nose was a telescoping unit (like the site that I sent you) but the actress actually pulled it out when it was supposed to grow. In character, she put her hands on the nose as if trying to push it back in but she was actually pulling it out.  Then, at a time when the focus was elsewhere on stage, she "got lost in the crowd" and pushed it back in.  I wanted something more "look-no-hands-ma-magical" but I saw the production and it worked well.  With so little time, it might be the way to go.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 15.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-19-2015 16:50

Sounds like the method that I saw is very much like the one described above.
    Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 16.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-10-2016 13:04

I'm wondering if you ever put together that blog post to document your prototype process? I like the idea you've offered about using magnets. Thanks for that.

Ruth Henry
    Tunbridge Public Charter School
    Baltimore, MD

• 17.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 10-03-2015 14:21

We did Shrek two years ago and have rented out out costume stock to other theatre groups several times since then.  We have the nose which works on pneumatics and a very cool dragon which incorporates the actress on  reptillian digilegs--the same used in the Alien movies. Here's a clip of the actress in training Dragon Legs for Shrek!  You can check out info from the show on our website appletonnorththeatre.com under the "musicals" tab :)

YouTube remove preview
    Dragon Legs for Shrek!
    Our Dragon is amazing! Get your tickets to see Shrek soon! Tickets for the public go on sale on Monday, Feb 3 on www.appletonnorththeatre.com
    View this on YouTube >

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 18.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 10-04-2015 05:32

What is the cost of the costume rentals?  We are a small military community theater.  My email is chandrahoyt@yahoo.com if you would like to send me a price list of some kind.  Thank you so much.

Chandra Hoyt

• 19.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 12-05-2015 15:32

COOL legs! Any chance you're renting or selling  your dragon legs/costume/head/et al?

Lynn Szigeti

• 20.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 12-06-2015 09:35

we rent costumes for the whole show including P's nose and the digilegs dragon. Email me at parkerronaldc@aasd.k12.wi.us 😊

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 21.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 01-10-2016 19:35

Hello

I am a student that is part of a "Shrek the Musical" production in Toronto.

We are in a bit of a bind and need a Pinocchio Nose that grows urgently.

Please reply to this message as soon as possible if anything can be arranged.

Thankyou,

Afrah

Afrah Kasim

• 22.  RE: Shrek: Pinocchio nose

Posted 03-21-2022 22:44
    dresser attaches a prosthetic nose with a plastic telescope attached to the face of an actressThis was really a very simple solution. I purchased a pre made latex nose. Cut off the tip and inserted a plastic toy telescope through it. I hot glued a magnet to the end of the telescope and to a leather ring. The student then pretended to try and stop the nose growing while she was actually pulling it out with the magnet. At an opportune time she would turn upstage and tilt her head up so the nose fell back in. It took a number of coats of skin matching spray paint to cover the hot pink cover. The layers of paint also served to create just the right amount of friction that it would lower as needed but not come in and out whenever on stage. It took some time and carrying the device around to get it to dry and still be mobile. I believe I then used a brown sharpie to detail in some wood grain. It looked great from a distance in the audience. 

I was working through a process of developing a system with tubing and such but it really needed more time to be efficient and reliable to we moved to this simple and effective product. 

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    AL