Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-21-2017 16:08
    I am thinking about doing Mary Poppins next school year, however we do not have a fly system in our theatre.
    Can this work? Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

------------------------------
    MATTHEW PAYNE
    Drama Teacher, Grades 9-12
    Glendale CA

• 2.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-21-2017 20:12
    Yes it can be done! last year at my school we did it and did not use a fly system. There are other ways of doing it. for example you can make a mary poppin cut out and put it into a spotlight and they have it so thats how she flys in. we did even do this for our production, we simply had lights out for when she was to fly away. ( also using fog/haze to make it look like she was on a rooftop.

Nicholas Carlstrom
    Blaine MN
    State Thespian Officer

• 3.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-21-2017 20:30
    You don't need a fly system for MARY POPPINS. 

You can hire one of the professional flying companies and they will fix their equipment to whatever safe anchor you have --  possibly the ceiling joints.

Otherwise, get creative! There is a small community theatre in my area that has a sold out, flightless production running right now.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning center
    460 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 4.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-22-2017 10:20
    We did it this past fall and do not have a fly system.  Is your concern more about the scenic requirements or Mary's flying?  

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 5.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-22-2017 22:17
    Hi Matthew

There are three primary companies whose primary business is flying performers for productions such as Mary Poppins: Foy, ZFX, and Vertigo.  In all cases, you rent the equipment and a professional flying director will come to your school to install the system and train your cast and crew.  A typically Mary Poppins usually involves a 2 to 4 day visit, depending on how difficult the installation will be and what characters you want to fly in your production.  Each flying company does things a little differently and the cost will vary depending on many factors.  All of the companies have extremely high safety standards and exceptional safety records and serve clients worldwide.

I own Vertigo (formerly Hall Associates Flying Effects) and we are based in Illinois.  We are the only company founded and owned by professional educators, so our process is rooted in the educational process.  We specialize in serving schools and can include workshops for your students while our flying director is in town.

I hope this helps :-).

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 6.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-23-2017 17:06
    I just saw a FANTASTIC production of MP at Saint Louis University High School that used ladders and other creative staging for the production. The chimney sweeps helped create the magic in the show and I loved it! 

contact Scott Schoonover sschoonover@sluh.org about their production and concept. It was really outstanding. 

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 7.  RE: Has anyone done Mary Poppins with no fly system?

Posted 02-24-2017 08:07
    Have you considered using scenic projections? We've worked with many groups who have the same restriction as you're experiencing. Worth taking a look at. www.bwymedia.com

Quentin Sanford
    President
    Broadway Media Distribution (BMD)
    Fresno CA