Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Programs

Posted 03-26-2015 18:00

How or where do you create your programs?  Right now, I am using Adobe InDesign to create the program, but I'm not good with creating the name so it blend into the background rather than using a picture that has a white background and doesn't look appealing.

Just thought I'd get some suggestions on what you use to create you programs and what you do to make them the best they can be.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Teacher
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 2.  RE: Programs

Posted 03-26-2015 20:00
    InDesign is the best layout software out there and is what we use, but you can do equally as well with Microsoft's Publisher.  There is a good online video class at Lynda.com to learn InDesign as it does have a high learning curve. Subscribe for just 1 month for $25 - or you might get hooked on it.  We put a lot into our programs to make them look nice with a color cover, full bios and professional headshots so kids can use them in portfolios for college or scholarships. I usually have a kid whose parent(s) are "professional" photographer who does the pics gratis (it seems like everyone is a "professional" photographer these days - and some are more professional than others.)

James Mead
    Director of Drama
    Palmer AK

• 3.  RE: Programs

Posted 03-27-2015 08:05

For the last two years, we've used the online software from Playbill. Go to playbillder.com to check it out.

I will say, there are some glitchy things about the software, but once you figure out how to navigate around these, you can end up with a pretty good looking program.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Programs

Posted 03-27-2015 08:30
    Does your school system have a printing department?  I never thought of having them do it, but another teacher suggested I try it one year and they did a great job.  I now have them do all our programs, tickets and posters.  They are also reasonably priced.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 5.  RE: Programs

Posted 03-28-2015 14:09

I started using an online resource this year, www.lucidpress.com.  In a lot of ways it resembles Microsoft Publisher, but I like the online platform and they have a free educator account.  An added bonus is that you can create "teams" that allow multiple people to collaborate on the document.  This has been helpful in allowing me to monitor the students' work as they move through a project.

Depending on the picture, you can often run pictures through www.lunapic.com and make the background transparent to create a better visual blend.

Gregory Franklin
    Bakersville NC

• 6.  RE: Programs

Posted 03-28-2015 20:37
    Thank you all for the tips and help.  We usually print on our own (we do not have a printing club).  I guess the biggest problem I have is that I have a drawing on a white background and I want to insert it it onto our pink paper without the white background.  I can do video editing all day long, but I struggle with pictures for some reason.  :)

Trevor Yarbrough
    Teacher
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN