Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New Production Class

Posted 07-05-2017 13:12

Hello,

I hope that this finds you enjoying much deserved time off. ��

I'm excited that this year my administration has allowed me to create a new theatre production class. The concept behind the class is that these are chosen students who have completed the first level class and have a strong interest in performance and/or tech. They will support the production program (4 shows per year) by completing needed assignments and working on class productions that will be performed both in and outside the school. 

My question is how to grade them. Does anyone have a theatre production syllabus or any ideas about how to structure it? I want this to be a meaningful, productive and fun class. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Patricia Giles

Hardaway High School 

• 2.  RE: New Production Class

Posted 07-05-2017 22:35
    Define "needed assignments"...You suggest that these are performers with an interest in tech? Or are they techies interested in performance? Or are they single track ONLY tech or ONLY performers? Cos you can have both in the same class, of course. Just helps us in helping establish what you need. :)

If the needed assignments are construction based, i.e. costumes, make-up, set, props, then it might be worth just cribbing your grade-sheets/scores from the NIES rubrics for technical events. These usually have a score out of 4 across multiple strands, or you can use your state ones if they happen to not be in line with the national rubrics, like some are. That's one possibility for grades. 

Participation and effort can count as a grade. Though I initially sniffed at this when participation grade was first suggested to me, I've found that an accurate assessment of a student's participation and effort in the class was an astonishingly accurate predictor of their final grade for the year. It can be a number score or you can access a number of 'Participation' style rubrics online in various places.

Grab a copy of Gai Jones' 'Raising the Curtain'. She has many useful tools and excellent things one can use for classroom assessments on stage production elements.

If you have more cash to throw around, I highly, highly recommend Bob and Marti Fowler's 'Practical Technical Theatre' DVD curriculum. This has so many useful and original ideas on how to structure the class for technical production elements, as well as multiple ways of grading and assessing your students (quizzes, hands-on assessments, open response items, projects, the lot). Totally thorough and a life-line for areas where you may not have paid the closest attention to in school (like me). It's available from Theatrefolk. My students got tons, and tons, and tons out of the curriculum. 

Another resource, if you're looking for a design perspective, would be to check out the library link below and check out Jo Strom Lane's thorough curriculum map for a stagecraft/production class. Look for the attachment to do with Design and Production, and you might find these a great help for planning purposes. 

Open Forum - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association
    Schooltheatre remove preview
    Open Forum - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association
    View the selected document's details
    View this on Schooltheatre >

Good luck!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 3.  RE: New Production Class

Posted 07-07-2017 10:54
    Thank you very much Phillip! You gave me many resources to research and consider when designing the curriculum. Sadly, I don't have the resources to include all that I would like to do (no shop except for construction class, no lighting/light board except for rented "tree lights", etc.) but it gives me a good place to start. My school is supposed to get an auditorium renovation within the next several years so there is hope for the future. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to help and I hope that you have a wonderful summer. 

Patricia Giles
    Hardaway High School 

Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA

• 4.  RE: New Production Class

Posted 07-06-2017 11:49
    Re 'needed assignments'--does your state have fine arts (specifically drama) standards? It is important to honor those when creating assessments. Our district has aligned both our state (Minnesota) and the national standards to ensure the program is reputable and rigorous. Just a thought as you develop a course with integrity.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 5.  RE: New Production Class

Posted 07-07-2017 11:00
    Hello Lori,

Yes, my district/state has standards for this type of class and I do plan to incorporate them. I'm looking for advice on how to deal with structure, assessment, classroom management, etc. 

Thanks to this forum I now have a place to start. 

Patricia Giles

Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA