Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Boosters... or lack thereof

Posted 04-03-2014 07:39
    We are facing the possibility of having our Booster group dissolve next year.  This year we are down an officer, so 3 people are doing the work of 4.  2 of those 3 are graduating their last child this year and will be leaving the organization.  Few people other than the officers actually show up to the meetings.  Of course they want "bigger and better" productions for their kids, but few are willing to step up and make it happen.  On the bright side, we do have a dozen or so who will show up and sell concessions, take tickets, etc. on show night, they just don't want to have a leadership role.

My concern is, if the Boosters fold, how much of this is going to fall back on us as directors?  None of us have the time to shop for concessions, find ticket takers, alter costumes, etc,  Many of the "extras" they do like flowers/candy, cast/crew meals, cast/crew party, will simply go away.  

My questions for all of you:

1.  How do you divide up the responsibilities/financial obligations of your Booster group versus what you take care of through your school activity account?

2.  For those of you who don't have Booster groups, how do you go about filling all of these roles, both throughout the production process and on show nights?  Do you require parent involvement, and if so, what are the consequences for not fulfilling the requirements?

3.  How do you balance the delicate line between "going the extra mile" for your students and production, without neglecting your family?  When we as the directing staff puts in 15-30+ extra hours a week on the production already, in addition to our normal teaching duties, we have a very hard time justifying even more time away from our children and spouses.  I know I'm preaching to the choir with all of you, but some of our parents feel that all of these extra tasks fall under our jobs as directors.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

-------------------------------------------
    Mike Morris
    Technical Director / Business Manager

• 2.  RE:Boosters... or lack thereof

Posted 04-04-2014 15:37

There was a great thread similar to this a few months ago, you can check it out here.

I wouldn't focus so much on the consequences for NOT participating, but how you can reward those who DO participate. Give them an incentive to make them want to be involved. Recognize them with an award at the end of the year banquet, offer free show tickets, put up a plaque in the auditorium or drama room and add parent names each year, list them in show programs, induct them into your troupe as Honorary Thespians, or find another way to make them feel special and appreciated.

In the community theatre group I work with, there is always some hesitation about stepping into a leadership roll because it's not clearly explained what is expected, what it would involve, and how much time it would take. Define clear rolls for each position you need filled. Make a binder for each role with instructions, contact information, tips, etc. It might take some time to put this together initially, but could end up saving you from taking on more projects in the long run.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 3.  RE:Boosters... or lack thereof

Posted 04-04-2014 20:24
    We currently do not have a booster club. When students sign our contract (we have a new one for every season and cast and crew must complete it to participate) their parent has to sign and list an email address. Throughout the season I periodically send emails updating them about schedules, events, and fundraisers. We have a mandatory parent meeting at the beginning of musical season (as it is our largest show). At this meeting parents sign a checklist for involvement. They can help with fundraising, set building, set painting, lobby, costumes, or hair and makeup. We have adults in charge of all of these groups. Then I pass off parents emails to these adults and they contact them. We have always had parents who are more than willing to get involved.

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE:Boosters... or lack thereof

Posted 04-05-2014 00:12
    When students fill out the audition form, parents must also sign it and then attend a meeting in which they sign up for pre show and week of show jobs. Students who don't fulfill their responsibilities have been removed from the show.  Holding parents accountable is harder.  I don't have an answer for that other then that I expect it.   They are told this is part of the family commitment.  This is the first year in 20 that I have had trouble filling all the spots.  It has worked well in the past.  We also do require an activity fee, much less than the sports activity fees. I am at a private school so I don't know what restrictions you might have at a publilc school. 

Valerie Scott

• 5.  RE:Boosters... or lack thereof

Posted 04-05-2014 08:30
    I'm not sure where I heard this idea, but one teacher told me recently that she has a "booster group" for each show rather than for a whole year. That way parents aren't signing on for a yearly commitment They sign on just for one show ( or more if they choose). This might be a way to involve parents for a shorter time commitment and could lead to more involvement. ------------------------------------------- Frank Pruet EdTA Vice President -------------------------------------------