Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Preserving "Whodunit" secret -- How to keep the mystery a mystery?

Posted 09-10-2018 09:54
    We are doing a "whodunit" mystery called CLOCKWORK by Pat Cook for our fall play. For those who have done such "whodunit" mystery plays, how have you held the cast and crew to absolute secrecy so they don't spill the beans about the ending?

------------------------------
    Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher/PAC Manager
    Mukwonago WI

• 2.  RE: Preserving "Whodunit" secret -- How to keep the mystery a mystery?

Posted 09-10-2018 11:34
    I would hope this wouldn't be an issue. If you're concerned I'd discuss the importance of not spoiling the ending for the audience in your first rehearsals. I have never had an issue with this when doing mysteries. The kids don't want to do anything to disrupt the integrity of the show and don't talk about it beyond telling their friends that they'll have to come see the show to find out what happens.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Preserving "Whodunit" secret -- How to keep the mystery a mystery?

Posted 09-11-2018 07:38
    I love murder mysteries! We do one every single fall. I ALWAYS swear my kids to secrecy at our first all cast read through. I have them raise their hand and repeat after me some sort of pledge. The pledge makes it fun but it also shows that I'm serious about not spoiling anything.

I pretty much tell them not to reveal anything about the play, other than the name of their character! We also make our audience take the pledge at the end of each performance! 

It is so much fun doing murder mysteries especially if there is some improv or audience interaction for the students to play with. I choose most of mine from Pioneer Drama Service as they have some great ones! Some that we have done in the past are Murder at the Orient Express, Family Reunion to Die For, The Groom Has Cold Feet, and Murderous Night at the Museum. 

Let me know if you have any other questions as I would love to help!

Stephanie Clussman
    Lakeville IN

• 4.  RE: Preserving "Whodunit" secret -- How to keep the mystery a mystery?

Posted 09-12-2018 09:20
    When I directed "The Butler Did It!" a few years ago, I had the actors sign a "non-disclosure" agreement to keep the secret safe.  And by the way, it wasn't the Butler.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY