Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYSTCE Theater Certification Exam

Posted 02-13-2017 17:58

I'm currently in my last semester of graduate school and I'm preparing to take the NYSTCE Theater exam. The first time I took the exam I did not score well on the 'Theatre Tools, Media, and Techniques' section and I ended up failing the exam by six points (214/220). Now that I'm taking the exam for the second time I wanted to know if NYC or NYS theater teachers had any advice, tips, or strategies that would help me prepare for the exam. Or perhaps someone knows of a good Theater CST prep course?

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------
    Leatrice Whitney
    Substitute Teacher
    NYC Department of Education
    Queens, NY
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: NYSTCE Theater Certification Exam

Posted 02-14-2017 06:27
    Her  is a link to the Massachusetts Theatre study guide. You can also buy on Amazon.

I took the MTEL and passed it however, took 2 tries. I was out of school 30 years when I certified in MA.

Good luck.

Kate Caton

Music and Theatre Instructor- K-12

Director, Drury Stage Company 

"Whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do it well; whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself completely; in great aims and in small I have always thoroughly been in earnest." Charles Dickens  "David Copperfield",

• 3.  RE: NYSTCE Theater Certification Exam

Posted 02-15-2017 07:01
    Hi!

I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but this is a link for review material for the Theatre CST. It includes a Preparation Guide that gives examples of questions for each section to help you study:

Hope this helps!