Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Women

Posted 02-21-2019 16:00
    Considering directing a production of Little Women. Non musical.
    There are a few adaptations and I have ordered some. Anyone done one? Which one specifically? I will want to use a large of a cast as possible.

------------------------------
    Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

• 2.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-22-2019 08:20
    I directed the version from playscripts last year and took it to competition.  I loved this version more than others.  It's not a huge cast, but you can probably have some smaller non-speaking ensemble parts.  My Jo March was 1 of 10 students in Regionals who won the Outstanding Performer award.

Kristin Lundberg
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Rocky Mount High School
    Rocky Mount NC
    kalundberg@nrms.k12.nc.us

• 3.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-22-2019 08:53
    I did Little Women of Orchard House by David Longest from Dramatic Publishing twice (2004 and 2018). It is a little long, but I love it because the first 30 minutes is the story of Louisa May Alcott's childhood with her three sisters and the famous writers of Concord, showing the influences of her writing. The play uses a beautiful wrap-around technique with the girls' boxes and the narration of the about-to-be published novel to bring the entire play together. I had a cast of 34 and every single actor had at least one line and were in large-group scenes (parties, wedding, classroom). There are many great roles!

Valerie Gargus
    NJ Thespians Festival Director
    Play & Thespian Troupe 4762 Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 4.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-22-2019 10:32
    Currently doing Marian DeForest (original Broadway 1921) version. I like it. It moves along and there are no royalties for it. the last two acts trunkate things fairly severly, but it works well. only considered one other but didn't think it was significantly better. 

• 5.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-22-2019 21:26
    Check out the new version by Kate Hamill. I saw Jungle Theater’s (Minneapolis) superb production earlier this season - their new artistic director commissioned her adaptation.

I found Kate’s version had a modern and refreshing sensibility while maintaining the strong bond of sisterhood Alcott’s story is famous for. Jo is hinted as young woman asserting her lesbian leaning tendencies. This narrative takes a different path to tell a familiar story. It feels surprisingly relevant. I think it is headed for an off-Broadway run.

All the best,
    Wayne Kischer

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-24-2019 01:21
    I like the Marisha Chamberlain version from Plays For Young Audiences. That was fun.http://playsforyoungaudiences.org/wp-content/files_mf/littlewomen_excerpt.pdf

Jemma Douglas
    Toronto ON