Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mime Play for Fall 2016

Posted 03-03-2016 11:35

Hey there,

I'm planning on creating a full-length mime play for the fall. Anyone out there with experience in doing this? What shows did you adapt, and/or what was your experience like?

Dave Engel

Fayetteville-Manlius High School

Manlius, NY

• 2.  RE: Mime Play for Fall 2016

Posted 03-03-2016 13:18
    David,

Have you considered adapting a public domain short story or collection of short stories?  Contact your local elementary schools and see what they're reading and you may be able to apply for one time performance rights for anything that's not in public domain.  

If you'd like to get tons of insight on how to adapt a children's book for the stage contact Myra Platt with BookIt (http://book-it.org/contact/) as they have a wonderful program for teaching this sort of adaptation.  Another person to reach out to is Leland Faulkner, a wonderful teacher and performer (he's on Facebook, I don't have his email address).  He has written an excellent vignette for shadow puppetry that might work as a mime piece--or you could combine your mime show with other aspects of bodywork like shadowplay (look up this group "Attraction" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1r9qNVqSrk)

Hope this helps,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Mime Play for Fall 2016

Posted 03-04-2016 17:52

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    David Engel
    Fayetteville-Manlius High School
    Manlius, NY

• 4.  RE: Mime Play for Fall 2016

Posted 03-04-2016 12:15

A hundred years ago when I was a sophomore in high school, we created out own full length mime production, using 'a kaleidoscope of mime' as a stimulus. We picked colors and people devised their own scenes and presented them for consideration. Our director did the whole group pieces and we created solo, duo and small group pieces.

Perhaps your students would relish the idea of creating their own material, as well.

------------------------------
    Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN