Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-18-2016 13:03

Sewing is not my strongest suit, so I'm seeking a good place to get 40s style clothes at a reasonable price quickly for the members of our ensemble. Does anyone have any recommendations?

------------------------------
    Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 2.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-18-2016 14:27

Thrift stores.

You might have to look around some, but I've always been able to find what I need at one of several thrift stores I buzz through every time we have to costume a show.

Failing that, try eBay, Amazon, or even craigslist.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-19-2016 08:46

For Women, you can get a lot of "vintage" dresses at Amazon.  Just use the search term, Vintage.  Alexander costumes also has a few pieces.

Other than that, as others have suggested Thrift Stores are a good option-- just widen the lapels,  If you go the Tuxedo route, those haven't changed much in decades, and you can get coats with different looks.  A fedora also goes a long way to sell that look for men.  Spats can be made from white vinyl and a little rubber cement to hold them on.

Good luck.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-28-2016 19:26
    What's your budget? Are you able to rent from a rental house or from a university's theatre department? Do search around on line. Check vintage clothing stores, although they can be pricey. Finally, look at the silhouettes and see how you can modify the garments that you already have. Perhaps you can employ a seamstress or a tailor. 
    Good luck!!

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 5.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-30-2016 11:20

Yes, thrift stores. Also, I have costumed both Alice in Wonderland and Hamlet from Ebay and Amazon. No joke. It's cheaper than rentals, more expensive than thrift stores (maybe, maybe not, actually). 

Hollywood Costumes in Chicago is great. I used them for The Servant of Two Masters. 

I'm Out,

David Engel
    Theater Department Head
    Fayetteville-Manlius School District
    Manlius NY
    facebook.com/fmthespians

• 6.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-19-2016 11:22

I agree with the above. Do a lot of research beforehand and then hit the thrift stores. Depending on the color/pattern, a suit from the 70s (wider trouser leg, wide lapels) can go a long way. I've also always found that if I spend a little extra on some really good, authentic pieces, then the 40s-ish (or whatever era) pieces fade into the background and don't look anachronistic. 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 7.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-19-2016 12:57

I have a lot of 1940's costumes for around 5-$10 each.  Happy to send you pics!  Call me at 908-625-0128 or email me at jackie@theatregalleria.com

Jacquelyn Kroeger
    Jersey City NJ

• 8.  RE: Do you know a great place to get 40s style costumes?

Posted 11-19-2016 15:02

You can try "Right to the Moon Alice" in New York - http://righttothemoonalice.com/ They specialize in vintage clothing.  They will ship to you.  I'm not sure how their prices compare but the pieces are of high quality and are correct by era.  Alice is really nice and will try to help you if she can.

Margaret Messick
    Davis CA