Open Forum

View Only

How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

• 1.  How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-11-2015 08:11
    Hello all, As we all know, putting off a play is a tremendous amount of work. An actor needs an immense amount of energy to perform and there is such an adrenaline high , and inevitable crash, that sleep is sometimes hard to attain after a late performance. I told my kids that after each even performance they would feel very tired the next day. I told them ( as instructed by my admin) to suck it up and come in to school as they had a performance that night and I didn't want them to cast a shadow on all of the great work that we had done. My admin were upset that a few of my kids took the next morning off because they we so tired ( many of them fighting colds). In athletics they have a rule, if you don't come for the full day of school, you don't play. They would like to create this rule for the play. I argued that this is comparing apples to oranges and I do not have the time or resources to train understudies ( and our run isn't long enough to give them a change to be in the spotlight for all of their hard work) or have the available, tailor - made costumes available for them. ( unlike the hockey team who have multiple players and multiple jerseys) In reality,if something did happen to an actor, my student director is always trained to step in, but possibly with a script- the show would go on, but it would be a result of a tragic circumstance, not a school-sanctioned punishment. I also argued that the play is only three nights of the entire year and there is a paying public... I suggested that either they give the actors a sleep-in day to be proactive or give the consequence of detention instead of having to miss the play. They were starting to come around by the end of the discussion but we will soon have a follow up meeting. So now to the question: What does your school do about tired actors? I myself usually feel like I've been hit my a bus the day after each show. I usually give quiet work on those days. :) ------------------------------ Natasha Hart Montreal QC ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-11-2015 09:05

There is a law in Kentucky that if you don't attend school the day of the extra-curricular activity, you don't play. Basically, resting up for the "bit game". My principal interprets that to mean that if you have a back-up, the rule stands. But if you don't have a back-up or understudy and there is only one person to fill that role, it's allowed. The football teams has lots of players, the play only the one actor cast in a role.

I think the overall problem is long rehearsal times, heavy homework loads, bad diet, lack of sleep, and general lack of taking care of themselves medically and physically. I try to restrict rehearsal time and not have long, extended late-night rehearsals, unless there are extenuating circumstances (snow-day, holidays, etc.). Do you really need to rehearse from the last bell of the school day until 11:00 pm?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-11-2015 11:17

We don't have the issue on our campus particularly. My kids know that they are expected to be in class during hell and show week. I've trained the faculty to give the students their class work before hell week starts. Our show week is the week after hell week. This gives the kids the weekend to recuperate.  During hell week the kids are expected to complete their homework when they are not being actively used. Many of them also bring blankets and pillows and grab naps whenever they can. 

I really like that the kids are expected to handle the evening requirements in addition to their regular responsibilities. It's a prep for "real life". How frequently are we expected to do more than the "usual"? And it's not limited to theatre folk. It's something that is a normal part of life. I think it's a really good learning experience... especially as these kids are frequently heading out on their own after they leave high school. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-11-2015 11:52

I handle it much the same as Shira.  My kids know they must be at school in order to rehearse or perform.  They also know I will absolutely hold them to that.  I do what I can to minimize the impact the show has on their lives - I use long rehearsals sparingly, make sure to still end long rehearsals by 8, insist that they use down time for homework and try to lighten the load in my class so that at least one class is a little easier.  I also talk it up as we get to that point, reminding them that they need to use whatever spare time they have for homework and sleep, so that they aren't caught off guard.  Also, we only have one school night performance currently, though eventually that may become 2.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 03-19-2015 19:43
    I do have late night rehearsals for tech weeks because I like to start the rehearsals at show time. I think the only thing that has allowed me to do this is that I make a big deal about kids being at school all day, every day ... even if they are tired and feeling ill. If an old geezer such as me finds a way to get myself there, so should they. I send information to them and to parents via email reminding them of the topsy-turvy schedule. Make sure you bring healthy meals and snacks to school, etc. Take advantage of the opportunities that you do have to get homework done rather than waiting until you get home. My classroom serves as the green room/hair room.  I make every effort to keep the noise down to a whisper in there so kids can do homework. Even though there is some hustle-bustle happening on the stage, many kids go out to the auditorium to do their homework or sit in a comfy chair for a cat nap before or after their makeup/hair call time.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 6.  RE:How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-11-2015 12:00
    I tend to agree with admin. I also don't think the sports comparison is that different. While there may be a lot of kids on the football team, other sports may not have anyone to fill in, and it will certainly compromise performance not to have starters. Sometimes there is no one else to fill a particular position. There was a big hullabaloo this year when our Kicker was in my dance show and I dared to have a Friday night performance. Anyway, kids need to be able to balance school and extra curricular activities. My rehearsals are never later than 7 and students are expected to work on homework while not onstage. That leaves plenty of time for sleep. For Thursday night shows, we are there later (maybe 10:00 at the latest), but they have had all afternoon to take care of business. Yes, they're tired the next day. So am I, but life goes on. I still go to work and take care of my 2 and 3 year old. My school has not issued any dictates about not performing if they don't show up to school, but I tell them they should be at school as that should be their priority.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 06:17

This is an easy one, and is never open for discussion in our district... we are a school first.  Bottom line.  No other arguments about the lack of understudies, only 3 nights out of the year, etc. would even be considered.  This is administrative policy and I agree 100%.  What I tell my kids:  "Welcome to the real world, suck it up and move on.  Oh, and you think you're tired now?  Wait till you have kids of your own."  :-)

Mike Morris
    Harrison OH

• 8.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 07:07

It's really not an issue here as well.  Coming in late or not coming in at all has never been an option.  Students know the expectations the school and I have for them, and need to live up to them.  Plus, I tell them that I'm the first one here,and the last one to leave, and and old man.  If I can suck it up and make it in, they should be able to as well.

I've worked in other programs that had hell weeks, and that had students in for dress rehearsals that would start at call time and run til 11p.m. and later, and I've never understood the logic behind it.  The answer I usually get when I ask about it is "Well, it's a tradition.  We've always done it this way, and this is the way I did it when I was in school."  You get sick, exhausted actors who tank their classes for two weeks.  You get frustrated parents,and disgruntled peers.  What we do is difficult enough, why make it harder by exhausting your cast and alienating your support base?

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 9.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 06:53

I want to echo what a lot of others have already said here.  Beyond state and school mandates about being in school to participate, we deal with student-thespians.  It is imperative as educators that we set high goals and expectations for our student academically and theatrically.  Students in all of my productions understand that grades, attendance and behavior are as important in the school day as are memorizing blocking, lines and cues are during a production.  

This is the time in life our students should be learning to manage their academics, activities, personal life and personal health.  By participating in a production and having to make choices (go to a party or do my homework; stay up and play video games or memorize lines; drink more water or an energy drink) students gain valuable life lessons that will serve them well in college, professionally and beyond.  They watch you manage to teach 5 or more engaging lessons to a variety of classes daily while directing a production, doing PR, building a set, sewing a costume, shopping for the show, paying your personal bills, taking care of your family, meeting your personal commitments, going to meetings, getting professional development and if your lucky finding time to sleep or vacation without compromising your standards (now I am exhausted thinking about all I have to do this weekend!).  

Sometimes events in our lives are tiring, but one can never be tired of having a full and active life.  This is one of the intangible lessons the arts teach our kids.

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 10.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 07:00

Sorry to post on this as I am not an educator but a professional in the industry,

But you are educating the students for the future, they need to understand that out in the world be it community, rep or professional  theatre. That Rehearsals and performances sometimes can keep you at rehearsals or shows well into the early hours of the morning and life does not stop just because you are doing a show,  I have had employees who have done this and they as everyone received notice the first time, a warning the second, then were released on the third occasion. I feel this is an excellent learning ground of what theatre really is, and the commitment that is required in addition to their regular life's

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 11.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 07:24
    The rule in my school district is that the student must be present for half of a day in order to attend anything after school be it a performance, rehearsal, etc. Might be a good compromise for your situation.

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 12.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 07:53

My actors and crew members sign a contract at the beginning of the process. They understand that they are never to use the show as an excuse for missing school, missing work or being tired. They know better and are being trained to understand that balancing their schoolwork and the theatre is a part of their education in the arts. If the expectations are stated, they will rise and meet them. 

We are no different and no better than sports teams that have the "go to school on game day" rule. Trust me, I've been teaching/directing for 21 years and I am really tired during tech week, the actors and crew are too. But we all know that we have a reputation to keep up...to create amazing theatre and fulfill our responsibilities in school. It has worked in our theatre and I believe the kids are better for it. No divas in our program! :) We are all in it together. 

Angela Hillman
    Director of CAPA
    Livonia Public Schools
    Plymouth MI

• 13.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 07:58
    Our school made an exception once when my class was small and a lead was sick, letting her stay home and come to the performance. But her mother and I were pro-active and went to the principal at the time who gave permission. (Our rule is they have to attend 50% of their classes.) Since then, I tried breaking up the schedule. We have our tech rehearsals on Thursday/Friday starting right after school and going until 8pm, keep the same hours for our Monday/Tuesday dress rehearsals, are dark Wednesday, and have shows Thurs/Fri/Sat. This has helped build in time for the students to get rest and get well. The older I get, the less I function without sleep also. There is no way I can be at school super late and then teach 6 classes the next day. I will end up sick myself. I understand that in the real theatre world and in college, the schedule is much different and perhaps this slower approach doesn't prepare them for it. But the majority of my students will not continue in theatre and I've decided since I have the discretion to create the schedule why run us all into the ground? In the real world they can sleep in the next day if they choose and don't have these attendance demands. Having this schedule also has given us one more Saturday "build day" to finish costumes. Hope this helps! ------------------------------ Debbie MacKinney Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor Tanque Verde Unified School District Tucson AZ ------------------------------

• 14.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 09:45

Great Discussion-

For me it is a bigger issue of connecting extra-curricular theater to student achievement.  As I work to scale and advocate for extra-curricular activities in under-served schools in my community as a tool to drive school improvement, I'm continually tracking data of Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance (Math & ELA) of students involved in the arts, compared to those not in extra-curricular art programming.  My students always know well in advance that they are in a school and that is their first responsibility.  I regularly warn them of the increased time during show week and remind and encourage them to be proactive with homework, meet with teachers for extra tutoring during the weeks prior to show week, etc.

For the most part, I find that students who usually are truant/absent and have pretty consistent behavior referrals improve in both of these areas when participating in theater.   Therefore, I keep a high expectation for ALL of my students on this no matter what school I am working in and the demographic of the students.  Missing 6.5 hours of instruction because of theater is kind of a no go in my book.  This is also though because of all of the research around the dropoff in student achievement when attendance falls below 95% (which is only missing 1 day a month). 

I am currently in a district where ALL sports games and arts performances are being moved to 7pm (previously 7:30 or 8pm) start times so students are done a little early on these nights.  I've actually continued to have middle school theater performances at 7:30pm, but only for the reason that I limit my performances to 90 minutes.

Hope this helps or looks at it in a new way.  Our work is powerful.   

Tom Krueger
    Minneapolis MN

If kids who drop out are 8 times more likely to end up in prison, do we open more prisons, or minds?  

• 15.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 10:59
    There is no district wide edict here about students missing days not being able to perform (the district provides none of the funding, it is all raised by the drama club), but it is my personal rule. I narrowed performances to Friday and Saturday only in order to minimize the effect. I also have to consider that we are a semi rural school with students who are bussed from as far as 40 miles away. Limiting rehearsal times becomes a necessity as a result. I require grades be kept up, and as others have stated, downtime is used to do homework. Immediately after a performance, I have them set up for the next performance, then we do cool down exercises to help calm their minds. I find it helps them sleep better and sooner.
    Darren Means
    Hardin MT

• 16.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 12:51

Our school district has a policy that students must be here at least half of the day to participate in any extracurricular activity, including sports and performances.  I tell my students I expect them to be here the entire day, taking those compliments in the halls and classrooms and talking up the show in addition to doing their normal school work.

I take it as my responsibility to provide a schedule that can allow them to be healthy and as well-rested as possible--and that includes tech rehearsals that end at a reasonable hour.  I also strongly suggest that they go straight home from the performances on school nights.

Theatre students, like most teens, love drama--not just the type on the stage--and I've had students play the exhausted artist for all it is worth.  Acting is hard.  So is being backstage and in the tech booth.  In high school, that theatre job is one they add to their primary job of being students.  Someone who regularly has to sleep in after a performance has far too little stamina to consider a life in this field.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 17.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 15:40

Hi Natasha,

The rule in my district is that students need to be present for at least a half a day in order for their attendance to count.  So as long as my actors are in by 11:00am, they can perform.  While I've never had an issue with them missing school the day of a performance, I make sure to provide the students with lots of water, fruit and healthy snacks before and in between performances.  It keeps their energy levels up and helps keep them hydrated.  

Hope this helps!

Miriam Kranz
    Worcester MA

• 18.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-12-2015 16:18

Our district policy is that students must attend school on the day of performances and sporting events.  All the students in both must have a 2.0 GPA in order to be eligible to even rehearse. Academics is first; then electives.  Theater productions are a class in our district - Play production, Musical Theater production, Dance Production and Stagecraft --however, if your grades drop you are dropped from the class and placed in an academic improvement program class.  This keeps the students in school and doing well in their classes.

To help the students with time management and healthy living all rehearsals are from 3- 6pm with extended rehearsals during the final week until 8pm.  The parents provide a light dinner that week for the students.  We also don't rehearse on the weekends so the kids have time to rest. 

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 19.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-13-2015 09:19

Thank you all for your responses. I realize that I was a little misunderstood in my reason for posting (my fault) and I would like to clarify what my major issue was. My title should have been phrased differently- perhaps: what happens at your school if an actor is sick or doesn't come to school on show day ? 

Our show spans Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights and we are not allowed to perform on weekends. This is the week before report cards are due and students are extremely overloaded with tests( despite me trying to work with teachers to make arrangements that are healthy for everyone). I do not have rehearsals after 6:30pm ever. So it is not a case of me overworking them needlessly. Our school is demanding on students and athletics takes kids out of class for a week at a time to play in Europe and they are dismissed early from school on Thursdays and Fridays to play sport teams around the city. That is the context of my school. All models come from the athletic model as all of admin are coaches. 

I believe in hard work and I believe that we need to teach kids to be more resilient and have grit so they can be truly successful. 

I had the stomach flu during the last night of our show and I showed up and gave my speech at the beginning- fully prepared to run out if I had to.

I also have a 2 - year old at home and I am very overworked. I understand the concept of "real world" realities very well. But I love my job!!!

I am sympathetic to the kids who were fighting colds and really tired after the play but that doesn't mean that I believe that they have "earned" the right to not come to school. I believe that every student should have to come to school and complete the school day- everyday- irrespective of what is happening in a play or sport. That is not my issue. My issue is with the school saying that they cannot perform if they do not come to school that day even if they are sick. I had an actress in a lead role who was really sick and didn't come to school but came to perform because she didn't want to let the cast down. My question is- what should happen to her? I do not have a replacement for her. If someone got hit by a car, I would have to call in the student director and the show would go on.... but choosing to bench an actor who is legitimatly sick really hurts the production.

I would prefer that my student get suspended for not coming to school and face a huge consequence than to have them not perform at night. My issue is not with the requirement that a student must come but that they are not allowed to perform. I just do not think that a play is the same as a sports team in this respect.

I do appreciate your thoughts. I seemed to get a lot of passionate responses. I think we are mostly on the same page about hard work and real-life responsibilities. 

Natasha Hart
    Montreal QC

• 20.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 03-22-2015 04:59

Natasha,

Do you have any athletes in your program? One of the most beneficial things that has happened for our troupe is a strong joint effort between athletics and theatre; our president is the football captain, and half of our department consists of varsity sports athletes. By gaining this different type of student, you also gain the insight into the world of athletics, and their policies.

As far as the school district policy, students have to be present half of the day in order to participate in any extracurricular activity. In order for a student to attend a school dance on a Saturday, they have to be at school at least half of the day on Friday. I don't use understudies either, which always makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure I have had numerous cast and crew members show up to school very sick in order to perform. There have been specific cases where my kiddos have came to school, and after talking to administration, they were sent home by the school nurse, but still able to perform. I think the key difference was that the school sent them home and determined if they were legitimately sick, the student didn't make the choice on their own.

Good Luck!

Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 21.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-13-2015 11:11
    I always tell the kids that school comes first. I say that we only get to do a show because there is a school. In Kansas, I use the guideline from KSHAA (Kansas State High School Activities Association) that says students need to be in class at least half the day. But honestly, I try to keep the kids from being tired by restricting our rehearsal schedule. I dislike the term "hell week" because I think it has a negative connotation. I want kids to like all parts of the production process. The week before the show, we rehearsal from 3:15-5:15 for a play and 3:15-5:45 for a musical on Monday-Thursday. The Friday, the week before the show, we rehearse from 3:15-6:45. This usually allow a full run through with some notes. We typically do costumes that night. The next day, Saturday, we do a dry tech from 8am to 6pm. The week of the show, we rehearse from 3:15-6:45, Monday-Wednesday. These are our tech/dress rehearsals. I use to do tech/dress rehearsals these nights, but it made a long week for all of us. Giving up the evening rehearsals was VERY hard for me. I really thought it would hurt my shows. But what I found is that the shows were better because the kids weren't as tired. Frequently, our final dress rehearsal will be a school matinee. These are typically from 9:30-noon on Wednesday. When we do these matinee/dress rehearsals, I cancel the after school rehearsals. That way the kids can get a good night of sleep before we start our shows. The performances are normally Thursday-Saturday nights. The only night kids are at school past 7pm when they have school the next day is Thursday night. If the show starts at 7:30pm, I can usually have all of the kids out of the building before 10pm. I also check attendance on show days and I will kick a student out of the show if they aren't at school for at least half the day. I want to make it all day, but that would not match with KSHSAA rules. I removed a student from a show twice. If they miss over half the day on Friday, they loose both the Friday night and Saturday night performances. The kids know the rule and no one complains about being tired. It is scary to have a show adjudicated and wonder if you will have your full cast, but I think we are doing educational theatre. That means, the product is not as important as the process. I certainly want to have good shows, but I am more concerned about what the kids' education.

David Tate Hastings
    Drama Teacher / Kansas Thespians Co-Chapter Director
    Olathe Public Schools
    Olathe KS

• 22.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 02-22-2015 14:33
    We perform six shows in two days at my school.  The students have a 9 am show for elementary schools Thursday morning, then our school allows them to spend the day with me.  We brush up on things that were missed (We're told: "Make it perfect for the public.") and we do play pictures at this time.  When these two things are accomplished, I allow the students to just rest.  They lay all over the auditorium, listening to music or chatting quietly or napping.  We do a potluck after school that afternoon and then do a show that night.  The next day, they do three shows for our school back-to-back-to-back starting at 9 am Friday morning with a quick lunch thrown in there somewhere.  After that, they rest for about an hour before everyone puts in a couple dollars towards pizza and we have it delivered.  Then they do one more show that night.  We rest on the weekend and do strike Monday after school.  It's exhausting, but having daytime shows to do means they have to be at school, but having the whole day with me means that I can give them rest time as much as possible.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 23.  RE: How does your school deal with tired actors after a show?

Posted 03-28-2015 17:44

The drama students (play and musical) follow the same rules as athletics. If you are more than 15 minutes late to school, you don't go to practice the next day or be in the show. This seems extreme to me, but there was a case where sports players would sleep in the first half of the day after games.

I've not had to worry about this much with my group. We stay on top things and the people. We have an extensive text/phone tree to keep people from being late. Luckily, my principal is a big supporter of the arts, so I like to think if in a worst case scenario a play student oversleeps, he/she would make up the lost time in detention. I don't want to go there, though.

After the shows are all done, I have lots of kids who take the following Monday off. I've not been called to the carpet for that, as my official stance is to go to school. I've been sucking it up and going to school on that Monday (mainly because I have thousands of dollars to count and deposit).

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN