Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Non-RnH Musicals with Soprano leads

Posted 01-21-2019 20:41
    Hello! We're planning for next year and looking for suggestions for family-friendly musicals with the following in mind- We have a lovely soprano that's a very strong dancer as well as a versatile actress; a very nice baritone who doesn't dance very well, a character tenor, another tenor with a very mellow personality(i.e, not super animated on stage), a bari/tenor with a more modern sound that's a great dancer, and plenty of other strong female dancers as well as another 15-20 boys. Pretty much all of Rodgers and Hammerstein are out because either we've done them too recently or they don't work for other reasons, as well as Mary Poppins, Music Man, and West Side Story. Your ideas?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Brigadoon?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rachel Pringle
    Assistant Director
    Ferndale School District
    Ferndale WA

• 2.  RE: Non-RnH Musicals with Soprano leads

Posted 01-22-2019 07:52
    7 Brides for 7 Brothers. Although I shudder at the premise of the plot of kidnapping women for marriage, this one was a lot of fun, with lots of standout opportunities for students. And the crowd loved it. It seemed the community was already aware, so advertising was easier than, say, "Anything Goes" or "Honk." You might want to put something in your program about historical significance.
    Debbie Corbin 

• 3.  RE: Non-RnH Musicals with Soprano leads

Posted 01-22-2019 09:05
    Crazy for You.  One of my all time favorite productions.  Also check out Lucky Stiff. We had the principal play the dead body and it was a roaring success!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Non-RnH Musicals with Soprano leads

Posted 01-22-2019 09:21
    Is Disney off the table? If you have enough boys (and girls who can dance), you could maybe have an awesome time with Newsies, or you could go in the direction of The Little Mermaid (which sounds like it could work for your lead boys). You could also definitely get away with The Wizard of Oz!

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE