Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-10-2021 09:42
    Hello everyone! 

I have recently taken over the extracurricular theatre program at a New Jersey high school, and I am super pumped to get started. This includes a fall and spring production, thespian troupe and forensics team. Also, being the only person who knows how to use the light board, this makes me the pseudo auditorium manager.

I am trying to get ahead of the curve and order some materials for back stage but I want to make sure I am ordering everything I need. As of right now, there are no dedicated cleaning materials for that space, so I will be ordering some push brooms, industrial dust pans and hand brooms. I am also hoping to order a cart that I can keep all our materials for the dept. on. 

I was hoping you could share what your backstage must haves are! I want to make sure I am prepped for school to start.

------------------------------
    Jason Wylie
    New Jersey Thespians
    Student Leadership Coordinator
    HS Festival Host 2022

Director of Extracurricular Theatre
    Northern Burlington Co. Reg. HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 2.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-10-2021 10:34
    Wow - congrats on the gig.  And I think we all know how it feels to wear multiple hats, recognized or not!  A full list of needed supplies would be very long, especially not knowing what kind of backstage space you are talking about.  Grab your facilities leader/head custodian/building maintenance person and start asking about what they currently provide.  A few things that come to my mind are oversized trashcans (with a box of liners), a good mop and bucket (with ringer), some extra rags with those cleaning supplies.

Paul Hengels
    Drama Teacher
    Waukegan High School

• 3.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-11-2021 11:14
    Congrats!  I was in the same position five years ago.  I bought a tool box that came with basic tools (not the best, but good enough for us. We don't have a shop, so it's the basics). Broom, dust pan, cleaning and sanitizing supplies, hand sanitizer, paper towels (good ones), Gaff tape (match your stage floor), push mop (better for cleaning the stage in my opinion - faster), glow tape, magnetic flashlights...

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown High School

• 4.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-11-2021 18:27
    Congratulations.  And great beginning to a list of supplies as well.

I think it can be a lot of fun to manage backstage spaces during performances so I look for materials like-- low voltage or battery powered LED strip lighting that is self adhesive, glow tape; simple masking tape to mark out traffic patterns, prop and set placement backstage, etc; head worn lamps for stage managers, scene shift crew, etc; flashlights (yes, a must have) perhaps with red or blue gels cut out and inserted behind the lens; a simple wireless "walkie talkie" system with headsets; black 1/8" tie line (is great for temporarily tying out a drape that sort of thing); and lastly, gaff tape, gaff tape, gaff tape

Have fun with your plans, this sounds great so far.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School

• 5.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-12-2021 07:45
    Congrats,
    Brooms, dust mops, mop and bucket, work lights such as clip lights some blue gel for over work lights, wired or wireless communication system, dust pans multiple,  Tape, tape, tape (caution masking and glow), narrow tables, markers, coat racks, dressing divider panels, music stand lights a few for prop tables or stage manager

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-12-2021 08:39

Hey! Here are a few things. A basic first aid kit, non latex gloves, hearing and eye protection, work gloves, mop bucket (like the custodian has), mop, eye wash station. I bring old tee shirts in and cut them up for rags. Fluids cleanup kit. Or know where one is. You should also have an emergency evaluation plan and review it with your students. 

Christine Causer
    Teacher/Production Manager
    Burlington Township High School

• 7.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-12-2021 08:44
    Blood Bourne Pathogen Kit

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 8.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-13-2021 08:27
    I'd suggest you clearly label any supplies/equipment you purchase that might be borrowed by custodians or others (pink broom handles don't bother drama kids, but are less likely to get mixed up with out-of-theatre supplies).

Also post "rules of the road" so any and all users of the facility can know what they can -- and can not -- do there, from blocking exit doors to re-aiming or programming lighting, to using glitter on stage (akkkk!!!!), etc. "NO UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL IN THE BOOTH" is a bit helpful (and train your kids well to become authorized).

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 9.  RE: Back Stage/Facilities Must Haves

Posted 08-20-2021 09:45
    Good stuff here, not a lot to add. Shop Vac is handy. Also we created a template of our logo and spray-aimed it on the ladders, carts, etc.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School