Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  AP Drama

Posted 08-14-2017 16:22
    My school has a thriving AP program. One of the best in the state.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing as AP Drama? I've found no evidence that such a thing actually exists. This seems a gross oversight. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. 
    I know IB Drama exists but we are not an IB School. I would love to start a rigorous AP Drama class for my high achievers but AP in the Arts seems to be limited to Music Theory/ History and Studio visual arts.
    Anyone out there teach AP Drama? 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 2.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-14-2017 17:48
    As far as I know, no such course exists. I know there was an attempt to create an AP curriculum in the late 90s or early 00s, but it stalled and never got off the ground. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters can offer more details, but I just wanted to give a shoutout as a Berkshire County native. Have a great year with PHS!

------------------------------
    Meg O'Connor
    theatre artist
    oconnormainstage.com

• 3.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-15-2017 06:38
    Yes, we have a wonderful
    AP program here at my school but no AP Drama. I wonder who we can get to spearhead this...it is needed!

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-15-2017 09:42
    Okay, I'm going to try and not fall off my soapbox here. This is a topic of frequent discussion and something I get really fired up about so I'll try to contain myself. AP courses are developed by College Board. You can view this link here on how they supposedly develop new courses:

How Courses and Exams Are Developed - Advances in AP - The College Board

They are also responsible for National Board Certification for teachers. Neither AP nor National Board Certification offer opportunities in Theatre Education. Jim Palmarini can speak to this. It's certainly a concern of EdTA and they've made some strides to change it.

However, this has more to do with a prevailing mentality that Theatre is not as legitimate as other subject areas. For example; in your state what is required of an individual looking to be certified in Theatre Education? In most states a degree in Theatre is not required. In most states a core teacher (typically English) can get an add on licensure with relative ease. Ask yourself- would they put a teacher in a music or art room without a degree in the actual field? I can guarantee it's unlikely. Why is that?

For what it's worth you can get National Board Certification in both Music and Art, but not Dance or Theatre. Likewise, AP courses are offered in both Music and Art. Not in Dance. Not in Theatre. Weird? Not according to College Board.

I make a call at least once a year to College Board regarding these issues. Every year they tell me the same thing: There's not enough interest in it. Not enough students would take AP Theatre for it to be worth their time and money to develop it. Not enough teachers would go for Board Certification in Theatre, beside you can just get Board Certified in ENGLISH. *Insert scene of me destroying the room.*

It's about MONEY. They don't believe they'd make enough money off of either. To be fair, not every school K-12 in the US has Theatre or Dance. Generally speaking, Art and Music can be found in the majority of schools K-12 whereas Theatre can be found at many high schools, some middle schools, and a few elementary schools. For Dance it's even worse. Somehow it was deemed necessary for Art and Music Education to be implemented at every level of Education but not Theatre or Dance.

I only mention Dance because I know how much I hate to have been forgotten. So I don't want to forget them- in my estimation they've got it worse than we do. But I don't have the data, just the life experience.

Okay, I'll stop here. I'm happy to entertain anyone's solutions to the challenge.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 5.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-15-2017 10:44
    I'll second what Victoria said with a few additions and corrections:

• The College Board does not own or administer National Board Certification. (Although, we all seem to have sold our souls to them for everything else that is valued by those outside of education.)
    • ETA polled us years ago, asking which program we wanted them to lobby for more strongly: AP Drama or a Theater NB certificate. I don't remember the results of the survey, but neither has happened. The motivation for money is definitely the biggest factor holding it up, especially for the AP. It would be expensive to develop and administer a test in a multi-faceted performance area such as theater. 
    I think it's true that both of these assessments would help to legitimize theater education. I still think it's worth pushing on this more. In the school where I teach having AP Drama would increase class enrollment.

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 6.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-16-2017 17:26
    Hi all,

Love the lively discussion (especially the always spot on comments from Victoria). 

I have the privilege of sitting on The College Board Pre-AP Arts Committee as a Theatre rep, along with two other EdTA members, for the past three years.  While the work moves slower than most of us would like, I have been pleased with the thoughtful, collaborative, and rigorous attention to detail from this group, all with the support of TCB. The committee is made up of leaders from the educational world of Music, Theatre, Dance, and Art, many who teach k-college.

At the very recent AP Conference in DC it was announced that a Pre-AP curriculum would be launched in the fall of 2018. There have been no promises made of a Theatre or Dance AP test, but our work continues and, in my personal opinion, how can there be a Pre-AP course of study without an eventual AP test? The future of these tests are not up to our committee. 

It's exciting to see the work that has been done so far, and that four of the Arts disciplines are being recognized by The College Board as vital to a well rounded education. 

Interested schools should go to this page on The College Board site for further information https://pre-ap.collegeboard.org

Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, President
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 7.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-17-2017 11:34
    This is great news, Krista! Thank you for the update and please keep us posted if we can provide more support to help make this happen.

Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-17-2017 14:39
    I am enjoying the discussion on the AP Theatre thread, and thought I would add in this pitch:  Dual Credit (or Concurrent Enrollment Credit, depending on where you are).

At last year's EdTA conference, there was some great discussion in a workshop (the presenter was from WV I believe, can't recall the name offhand) about setting up dual credit with a college.  Of course, this would require more work on a local or state level to get it off the ground.  But here are a couple of reasons I tend to like DC over AP:

1.  Some colleges have looked at AP credit not as a way of letting students skip taking the course at their institution of higher learning, but rather make them take even more advanced coursework.  For instance, say Student A takes AP Spanish and scores a 4.  Some colleges would tell the student that they don't have to take any courses in a foreign language, or maybe only take 1 class instead of 2 or 3.  But some schools (probably to keep the kids there longer and make money) tell them that they still have to take the full number of courses on campus, but instead of starting at Spanish 101, they get to start at Spanish 203!  So they are sometimes using it as a placement test.  

With Dual Credit, you get credit as if you took the course on the college campus, and you are done.

2.  This is a great way for colleges with smaller theatre programs to get easy exposure.  Here in Indiana, we have what is called the Core Transfer Library.  Any college course listed in it is automatically accepted at all public universities in the state as well as may of the private ones.  And from what prior students have told me, if you talk with the admissions folks in out of state schools, it transfers pretty easily out of state as well.   

So the smaller schools get the benefit of working with high schools on setting up the program and determining what course at the college level it will count as.  And they may just win a few more students their way!  

One of the takeaways from last year's EdTA conference session was that many colleges only count the Dual Credit course for something like a theatre appreciation or dramatic literature course, because the college wants to be the one to give more of the artistic training.  However, there are  ways to incorporate performance or technical elements into a course in order to provide that element as well.

My colleague here at my school is working on getting dual credit set up here, and when we talked about the fact that it may only count as a theatre appreciation course, I started to smile.  I said "hey you need a fine arts credit in college usually, so that would be a way to get more kids to enroll.  Get them to earn a fine arts credit for graduating high school AND college!"

Ok off my soapbox!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 9.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-17-2017 16:44
    I know that this is an issue we'll have to keep fighting to redress. I think that, if we can get people to think STEAM instead of STEM (how's that a plug for the upcoming conference?) it will be easier to move this topic forward. Our inclusion in the STEM ideas that have already been validated by the public is a huge stepping stone for us to use.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: AP Drama

Posted 08-18-2017 08:10
    Hey Ray, it's Anthony Cimino-Johnson from VA.  I second the option for DE theatre,  it was something I was able to achieve at my school – but haven't started yet.  The caveat of course is you must have a Masters degree in order to teach it.  So I know for a lot of people, it takes away the option.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski