Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Raining flower petals

Posted 01-21-2020 15:17
    I need a somewhat low tech solution to make it rain flower petals onstage.  We don't have a fly system or much of a grid, but I could could mount a pipe overhead to hold whatever the petals fall from.  Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Raining flower petals

Posted 01-22-2020 09:52
    Perhaps you could trap the petals in a roll of large-hole mesh of some sort that will release them when jostled.  We've used something along these lines for snow.

Penelope Haskew
    Director of Education
    San Juan Comunity Theatre
    Friday Harbor WA

• 3.  RE: Raining flower petals

Posted 01-22-2020 10:11
    Funny you should ask.  I am getting ready to do a similar effect in a couple of weeks.  When I did it before we used a long piece of muslin and had 2 people shake it from both sides.  The muslin was not as fluid as I wanted.  With practice it would probably work very well if your shakers don't get nervous and rush it. The mesh idea from Penelope  is good to.  Another thought that I was told at some teacher workshop somewhere was to create a double roller system.  Roll your petals into a roll of material and then roll the same material over to a second roller when you want the petals to fall.  Then they will drop as you roll from one side to the other.  I think I may try that method this time.   Hope that helps.

Andrew Fisher
    Canon City CO

• 4.  RE: Raining flower petals

Posted 01-22-2020 13:56

Try getting one or two or three of these machines: 

Wonderfall confetti machine.  They have different styles of material you can drop.  Flower petels beginning one of them.  They run on a remote control device and totally quiet and about the best snow, confetti, etc dropping on stage I have ever used.  They sell them on Amazon as well as through their website. 

https://www.mywonderfall.com/shop/

Break a leg and may all you theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 5.  RE: Raining flower petals

Posted 01-23-2020 11:33

Hi Stephanie:

What about using a projection (saves you cleaning up the flower petals too) or a gobo.  If you want to mount a projector, we have the hardware to do so and could loan it o you.  We are in Castle Pines and Parker.  Thanks!

Mark Middlebrooks
    Specials Department Director
    Castle Pines CO